Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
E320 1996/300E 1992/E320 1995
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 E320. Lost original key and ordered replacement from dealer. They could not make the remote unlock/lock work and after looking at the car they said that key is fine but that the whole system has to be replaced at substantial expense. I did have the review mirror replaced prior to this problem and I wonder if that could have any impact on the alarm system. Any suggestions/comments? [?]

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
You need to search some of the earlier posts on this subject. This has been discussed at length.

It appears there are quite a few dealers that either don't know the key well, or have an eye fixed on your wallet. Neither sounds good.

I never saw a need to replace the ignition module. As I recall, the key needs to be recoded to the car which involves leaving in the ignition lock for an extended period of time - - a couple hours [?][?]

When you order a key, an additional key is a better request than a replacement key. The replacement key means the system is recoded. An additional key means the original coding is kept intact, but a new key is programmed to recognize it.

·
Registered
E320 1996/300E 1992/E320 1995
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks your info. I'm still working on the issue. You mentioned leaving key in ignition. My Key is still the old metal key for 1996 and not the electronic key which I assume makes a difference. Anyone know if there is a way to test the light (green and red) reactions in the review mirror without using the remote from the key?

·
Registered
1996 E 300 D
16 Posts
I have a very similar situation: a 96 E300 with a bad IR remote, and I would dearly love to test the system before dropping $220 for a new key from the dealer.

Of course the alternative would be to get this after market system: USkeyless.com - Product Details (several people on this forum have used this and the consensus is apparently that it's pretty good).

This also begs the question: if the factory alarm system isn't working, then will the uskeyless system still work?

The uskeyless system is $150, and it comes with RF remotes instead of IR... $70 cheaper than a new factory remote and much better.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
I got a key from the dealer that would not synchronize. I took it back to the parts counter and they got me another which did work.

The rearview mirror won't change the codes used, but replacing the RCL might.

·
Registered
1996 E 300 D
16 Posts
MattL, how much did the dealer charge for the replacement? Did you replace just the IR remote, or the key as well?

(On mine, the key comes off by way of a little retaining pin, so I don't see too much of a problem just swapping the key out and programming the remote).

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
They charged me the normal extremely high price for the first key, and nothing for the second one (they sent my first one back).

My blade is also held by a small pin. I assume that they took the cut blade off the old transmitter and installed it on the new one. But you can't program the remote. It either works for your car (i.e., will synchronize) or it does not.

I did not replace any parts in the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts