Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently dropped my key and the red tip broke exposing the sensor causing the key to not turn in the ignition. The only way that I can get a new key is through the dealership. Is that correct?

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,429 Posts
Someone might want to try to fix the key too. Usually it is the coil detaching from the circuit board, perhaps the IR led in your case. You might need a new key cover, eBay keys are good if the cover only is broken.

It does not pay off unless you can find someone who is doing it for fun (and free).

·
Registered
2008 E320 BLUETEC
306 Posts
The dealership is asking close to $200. Does that sound correct?
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Dealers charge between $150-$200 depending on the model. What happened to the good 'ol days when you could get a copy for $0.15 at the hardware store, right? They're straight-talking you on price.

·
Registered
'04 Black CL500, "06 White ML350, '98 Red Boxster
124 Posts
What happened? Security was introduced!
I agree but thats still no reason to charge $200 for a key. Im not expecting it to cost $50 either but cmon. If security is the reason a key like that costs $200 ( my dumbass actually paid $229 at my stealership for an extra key :mad: ) Then why does the Nav DVD cost around $200... You could buy a pocket nav for that these days.
Reality is both of these items can only be gotten thru Benz and they have you by the short and curlys. I would bet those two items are HUGE profit centers in and of themselves.
Oh well, it is what it is.... And yep, those secure keys are awesome.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Someone might want to try to fix the key too. Usually it is the coil detaching from the circuit board, perhaps the IR led in your case. You might need a new key cover, eBay keys are good if the cover only is broken.

It does not pay off unless you can find someone who is doing it for fun (and free).
AWESOME idea for you if the actual key is still working :)

·
Registered
2008 E320 BLUETEC
306 Posts
I agree but thats still no reason to charge $200 for a key. Im not expecting it to cost $50 either but cmon. If security is the reason a key like that costs $200 ( my dumbass actually paid $229 at my stealership for an extra key :mad: ) Then why does the Nav DVD cost around $200... You could buy a pocket nav for that these days.
Reality is both of these items can only be gotten thru Benz and they have you by the short and curlys. I would bet those two items are HUGE profit centers in and of themselves.
Oh well, it is what it is.... And yep, those secure keys are awesome.:thumbsup:
Couldn't agree more, though Mercedes makes more from the dealers replacing second keys on trade-ins than from consumers. The dealer cost isn't much less. It's not lawyers that are ruining this world, it's accountants! :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Couldn't agree more, though Mercedes makes more from the dealers replacing second keys on trade-ins than from consumers. The dealer cost isn't much less. It's not lawyers that are ruining this world, it's accountants! :D
Yeah.. Thats probably why my dealership thinks they need to charge $229 for them.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
You understand of course Mercedes maintains a database of keys and knows how to get you the correct key solely based on your VIN.

In addition, it keeps track of how many spare keys have been issued to your VIN and after a certain number no more are possible.

All this costs $$ to maintain.

But, your head will stop hurting if you stop beating it against the wall.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You understand of course Mercedes maintains a database of keys and knows how to get you the correct key solely based on your VIN.

In addition, it keeps track of how many spare keys have been issued to your VIN and after a certain number no more are possible.

All this costs $$ to maintain.

But, your head will stop hurting if you stop beating it against the wall.
Huh?

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
I think there's a lot more involved than just replacing the key. As I understand it the new key and your car must be "mated." The dealer must set the key code and I believe reset all of your car codes for it to work, and that is probably a pricey process.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
I think there's a lot more involved than just replacing the key. As I understand it the new key and your car must be "mated." The dealer must set the key code and I believe reset all of your car codes for it to work, and that is probably a pricey process.
This is not correct... the key comes shipped pre-programmed to work with your car... no resetting of any codes in the car... you get the key and plug it in and you are set to go... sometimes the kay can be shipped to you directly not to the dealer... your car comes with a set number of key designations... up to 8... so slots 1&2 are accounted for from the factory... when you order a new key that takes slot 3 and the car is ready for slots 3-8 to be filled.

Think in the way of an RSA VPN Key... rolling code constantly, but the VPN always knows what code should be showing at any given time you log in.

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
This is not correct... the key comes shipped pre-programmed to work with your car... no resetting of any codes in the car... you get the key and plug it in and you are set to go... sometimes the kay can be shipped to you directly not to the dealer... your car comes with a set number of key designations... up to 8... so slots 1&2 are accounted for from the factory... when you order a new key that takes slot 3 and the car is ready for slots 3-8 to be filled.

Think in the way of an RSA VPN Key... rolling code constantly, but the VPN always knows what code should be showing at any given time you log in.
That's interesting. I had never heard that before...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts