Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1997 G320, 2001 CL55
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I priced a new key from Europa the other day. They get $316 for the key with an additonal $50 "handling fee".

Just wondering if they were the only source before I fork out nearly $400 for a new key.

THANKS[:(!]

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
rtgogo - 2/18/2005 12:18 PM

I priced a new key from Europa the other day. They get $316 for the key with an additonal $50 "handling fee".

Just wondering if they were the only source before I fork out nearly $400 for a new key.

Caliber Motors in LA is almost impossible to beat on dealer only parts and often times better than the unofficial suppliers. Their # is (800) 252-6877.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
rtgogo - 2/18/2005 1:18 PM

Why don't you see if Sean at Eurotruck Importers in GA can help you. I got a new key for my G500 recently from Europe. It was pricey, but not that much.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
hide-a-key

holy cow... it was $270 complete last year! That's so rediculous.

One thing, i don't know if the key is the same as for the 2000's, but they have a key system that looks like a credit card where the key is stand alone and slides into a credit card style locking remote. The complete price was about the same but the key alone was $70, which ofcourse is rediculous still, but it's nice for having an "affordable" hide-a-key under the truck somewhere. If i open the doors with the bare key after setting the alarm it triggers the alarm, but 1 cycle of putting the key in the ignition turns it off. It's come in handy.

i should qualify that part of what i think is rediculous is pricing of these luxury car keys as a general rule. I would be extremely surprised if they cost more than 10-20 dollars complete to make.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
RE: hide-a-key

ewalberg - 2/18/2005 12:44 PM

holy cow... it was $270 complete last year! That's so rediculous.

One thing, i don't know if the key is the same as for the 2000's, but they have a key system that looks like a credit card where the key is stand alone and slides into a credit card style locking remote. The complete price was about the same but the key alone was $70, which ofcourse is rediculous still, but it's nice for having an "affordable" hide-a-key under the truck somewhere. If i open the doors with the bare key after setting the alarm it triggers the alarm, but 1 cycle of putting the key in the ignition turns it off. It's come in handy.

i should qualify that part of what i think is rediculous is pricing of these luxury car keys as a general rule. I would be extremely surprised if they cost more than 10-20 dollars complete to make.
Thanks for the tip. Where do you park your truck? I'm out in San Fran at times, I'd prefer to drive your truck over the Hertz Taurus.[}:)]

·
Registered
1997 G320, 2001 CL55
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check out the options at EuroTruck and Caliber.

Thanks for the info guys!

Seems like Europa is trying to price themselves out of the market.....

·
Registered
2000 G500
29 Posts
Yeah, just talked to the guy in the Parts Dept. at Caliber Motors.
He said keys are a security issue and your best off to go to your local dealer.
I realize that.
I mentioned this was a pre-MBUSA product and Caliber was suggested as a source.
He told me to check White Trucking.
I don't think so.
I just wanted to spare the rest of you guys the trouble.[:(!]

·
Registered
G500, Unimog 2450, Pinzgauer 712M
616 Posts

I use the bare key to get in the truck after I've been surfing. They rust like crazy. I've had four, all under warranty, but now I'm out of warranty so I need another way to do it. Naturally, the $70 MB key rusts, but my $5 chevy truck key did not rust in 3 years of being in the ocean every day. How much money do you think MB saves by down-speccing a toothpick-size slivver of stainless?

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts

w5yk - 3/24/2005 4:01 PM

I use the bare key to get in the truck after I've been surfing. They rust like crazy. I've had four, all under warranty, but now I'm out of warranty so I need another way to do it. Naturally, the $70 MB key rusts, but my $5 chevy truck key did not rust in 3 years of being in the ocean every day. How much money do you think MB saves by down-speccing a toothpick-size slivver of stainless?
Not too many months ago I got a replacement "bare" key from Caliber for approx $20. I had to fax a copy of my registration and drivers license but they had no problem getting it.

·
Registered
1997 G320, 2001 CL55
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do mean by "bare key"? Just the shaft piece?

Sounds great no matter what!!

Please let me know who you spoke with...

Thanks for your help!

Robert[:p]

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
w5yk

have you considered greasing the key? Sounds kind silly, but regularly oiling or greasing the key should help protect it.

·
Registered
G500, Unimog 2450, Pinzgauer 712M
616 Posts
RE: w5yk

Well, it was silly enough for me to try it!

Putting it in the lock would wipe it clean, so it didn't last.

·
Registered
2005 g500
316 Posts
RE: w5yk

you could always put it in a ziplock bag before putting it in key pocket. thats what i used to do with my key when i went to the beach put it in the ziplock then put the ziplock in the velco close pocket.

ive also seen heavy duty nylon 'ziplock' bags on lanyards that claimed to be waterproof, you could try that too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts