Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI bought a Mercedes E320. 1999 model. When I bought it the battery was flat, so they jump start it and I drove it for 40 km and I get the battery tested. They fitted a new battery and I drove it for five days, The horn didn't work so I replaced it's fuse. Left the car on for a while to check the back window (on right side) which also was'nt working. Remove the top plastic cover from the engine. I wiped en cleaned the cover with a cloth and put it back on the engine. When I want to start the car, it doesn't read the key. I took the key to be tested and they said nothing is wrong with the key, but still doesn't respond to the key. Please, I need some help!.

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Hello:)

Can you clarify the meaning "it does not read the key" ? Can you turn the key ? If you can, is the problem with cranking, or the car cranks but it does not start ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not have a spare key I took the key in and had it tested and they told me the key is fine

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Then you caused a problem when you replaced the horn fuse.

Check fuse 9 in the fuse panel under the hood at the driver's side.

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Check the voltage on that fuse ( with + (red) probe tip touching one of the tabs on the fuse, either side) with respect to ground (- or black probe tip) nearby (ground stud where all the ground wires bolted). You should read about 12V.

·
Premium Member
5,593 Posts
Then, you likely have a problem with the Electronic Ignition Switch module (EIS) (provided the key is fine as the locksmith says). You need special equipment to test the EIS. The locksmith may be able to test it if they can come to your location. Fuse 9 is the fuse for the electronic steering lock (ESL), and it appears that the lock is powered, and so it the EIS (which powers the lock over fuse 9).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So there is no way that I can test it because the car is verry far from the town and to get a lowbed is gonna cost a lot of money from where the car is

·
Registered
6,644 Posts

·
Registered
35,767 Posts
If you have time to wait a week for shipment from China, you can have it for 2 bucks.
I bought it just in case and it works on W212 just fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts