Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the two original key fobs that came with the car. Both of them will lock/unlock the doors and the trunk. Only one of them will turn in the ignition to start the car and it turns very easily all the time so far. One of them I had to resynchronize a few years ago and I don't remember which one, not that it probably matters.

Since they both work the door locks, I assume I can rule out the fob batteries. Since one of them easily turns and starts the car, I think I can rule out the car's battery. I tried to clean off the IR glass on the bad key, but it did not help. Am I looking at a bad key or are there some tips for trying to get it to work again? Or am I just due for a replacement key?

·
Registered
E420 1997
757 Posts
When it rains it seems to pour. Recently my key would turn the ignition but not crank the car (intermittently). Did a lot of reading here. Cleaned my key with alchol and toothbrush (actual metal key) and blew canned air in the ignition (junk/dirt blew out btw). Then used spray silicon lub on the key and inserted a couple times. So far, so good.

It really amazes me on how many same issues we tend to have but the solutions are various!

If this works, return the favor to others.

GL,
Ken

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Sorry - but my opinion the OP's issue is much different than yours.

The OP has one key that works but his 2nd key is fried/dead from the Mercedes security recognition.

The most common cause of a "dead" ingnition key is that at some point in error it was left in the ignition when the battery was disconnected/reconnected, or left in the ignition when the MB was jumped started from a donor car of from a jump/battery box.

On a dead igntions key/security-DAS - the only solution is a new key from MB.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,680 Posts
1. Per my knowledge the knobs were never possible to synchronize
2. Remote operation has nothing to do with ignition operation as you 2 separate systems in single body
3. if the ignition chip inside the key died, the only option is get another key. My dealer would not even look at the dead key.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Per my knowledge the knobs were never possible to synchronize
2. Remote operation has nothing to do with ignition operation as you 2 separate systems in single body
3. if the ignition chip inside the key died, the only option is get another key. My dealer would not even look at the dead key.
You can resynchronize them, but not for this problem. The key has to be able to turn in the ignition first. Here is my old post about the resynchronizarion process - http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1385217-remote-key-fob-fixed.html. For my current issue, I think a new key is in order as you say.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered my new key fob today. $180 and will be in in a couple of days. They say it comes programmed for the ignition and you have to synchronize it to the doors and trunk by just inserting it into the ignition and leaving it there for a few seconds.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Ordered my new key fob today. $180 and will be in in a couple of days. They say it comes programmed for the ignition and you have to synchronize it to the doors and trunk by just inserting it into the ignition and leaving it there for a few seconds.
That's an excellent price and you'll have the new key with the longer-range remote, too.

I'm guessing that doesn't include a new L-shaped metal key.

·
Registered
36,680 Posts
Greg I paid $180 minus discount at MB of Fairfield as well.
Never had to synchronize anything. Just push the button to open the doors, insert in the ignition and ENJOY.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Greg I paid $180 minus discount at MB of Fairfield as well.
Never had to synchronize anything. Just push the button to open the doors, insert in the ignition and ENJOY.
That works well for you. But two trips to Fairfield for me adds more than $50 to that price (fuel plus bridge tolls). :(

·
Registered
36,680 Posts
If that is the case. I was in Benicia so adding the trip to Fairfield was not a big deal. I also check few other items and seems that those guys being new, or in remote location do have much lower markups than stealers in the rest of Bay Area. If you need to buy few hundreds worth of dealer parts, the saving can make the trip worthwhile very fast.
And again, they gave me 10% discount just for mentioning that I am business owner.
You can stop at "Bottom of the Fifth" in Benicia on your way for excellent 5-course make to order lunch for $6.99

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For future reference, here is a photo of the old vs. the new key fob. Picked it up yesterday.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Len, does the new key work well? And how about the remote range? I know when I bought my new style chrome key the range was much better than either of my originals.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems to work well. I've only used it once so far, but the IR range does seem to be better than the old one. There were times when I had to be within a couple of feet of the car for the old remote to work. Now it seems like 20 - 30 feet might be a good working distance. It's not nearly as good as the remote on my SLK though.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
OK, good enough, and thanks for your answers. I find that curious about your SLK though; I wonder what makes the difference?

·
Registered
36,680 Posts
This is generation 2 chrome key FYI.
I found it odd that the blade key can not be removed with finger push on it. Had to put a ring on it even I did not like it.
Different cars use different remotes. Our ML would lock/unlock from 100 feet, but it did not have remote window closing.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Luxury..Plus a 94 Taurus SHO, 95 Reg Cab Eddie Bauer F150 302, 00 Explorer XLT 4wd
507 Posts
I have the two original key fobs that came with the car. Both of them will lock/unlock the doors and the trunk. Only one of them will turn in the ignition to start the car and it turns very easily all the time so far. One of them I had to resynchronize a few years ago and I don't remember which one, not that it probably matters.

Since they both work the door locks, I assume I can rule out the fob batteries. Since one of them easily turns and starts the car, I think I can rule out the car's battery. I tried to clean off the IR glass on the bad key, but it did not help. Am I looking at a bad key or are there some tips for trying to get it to work again? Or am I just due for a replacement key?
My car does this with the one key I currently have... It also does other wierd things like made every thing on the dashboard click and beep.... My key is on its last legs I think, but my extended trip makes it impossible to order one right now as I am told it takes a week?

·
Registered
2008 C300 Luxury..Plus a 94 Taurus SHO, 95 Reg Cab Eddie Bauer F150 302, 00 Explorer XLT 4wd
507 Posts
Keys are delivered to MB dealer in 2 business days regardless US location.
Having problems with old key, I would not wait.
Really???

M-B of Westmister Co told me it would take a week... They taped my key together and put new batterys in it and it seems to work ok now, except the one or two odd things its done (one was all the lights on the (including the climate controls) and radio) came on blinking and then some bizzare beeping.. Car never started.. I took the key out re instered and it was happy again... Second time, it just refused to turn...I will call Skyland M-B here in asheville and inquire... If not it will have to wait till I get to Denver or Dallas

·
Registered
36,680 Posts
MB keys are made in Texas and the technician gets on it within minutes after you place the order, even it is 2000 miles away. The only delay is shipping. Members in California can get the key next day if they place the order before 2 PM.
Where is Westmister again? :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well I was lied too..Hey if i get a chrome key I can buy a key condom for it :D Maybe a pink one :eek: LOL....

I just will check prices.. If some can get a key for $188, I will find a dealer who will give me that price... Fabric tape so far has held up

1 - 20 of 33 Posts