Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got a 2002 S55 and this morning I tried to start the car and the key wont even turn onto the the 1 or 2 position. I only got one key so I cant find out if its a bad key. So maybe i though it was a low car battery. I hooked up the jumping cables and the key turned. The battery isnt low cause I disconnect the jumping cables and i turn off the car and it stared like normal. But then I turn if off a 2nd time and the key wont turn again.. What could be the problem?? The battery is about 6 months old and the I replace the key batteries like a month ago also.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Faulty Electronic Ignition Switch (EIS) I would say, and if it is then the situation will get worse until it does not work at all. I would have it checked.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking it was the EIS also but what I didnt understand why does it start if i jump it? My car has Keyless Go but the key never worked since I had the car. If I go and order a new key at the dealer would the car start without replace the EIS and just starting using the Push-Start button?

·
52,804 Posts
It is worth a try and you need the second key anyway. But EIS and KG are connected so I am not sure if this will be a fix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thats true... Can I order and replace the EIS myself or should I take it to the Dealership?

·
52,804 Posts
Yeah thats true... Can I order and replace the EIS myself or should I take it to the Dealership?
EIS is a dealer only job and I believe it is quite expensive.

·
52,804 Posts
About 1100 ish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts