Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
W210, W211, W163
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says the key will unlock the car and also the ignition. The key goes to position 2 all dash lights come up, but if turn to start no response at all. Nothing happening. Battery is good.

All fuses are good.

Would you think the key or EIS is bad in this case?

Any suggestion are really appreciated. Also if someone has a link that has a good explanation on how the EIS and drive authorization work that would be great.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1997 E420 Beautiful Blue
35 Posts
Hello there, I have a key as well for my 97 E420 and the dealer told me it's a velet key it only opens the door and will go to position 2 and it will my a starting sound but will not start the car my key vob key will start the car. I don't know if this is your case but that's what I was told. A velet key.

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,583 Posts
Hello there, I have a key as well for my 97 E420 and the dealer told me it's a velet key it only opens the door and will go to position 2 and it will my a starting sound but will not start the car my key vob key will start the car. I don't know if this is your case but that's what I was told. A velet key.

If it will not start the car...what's the point?

The OP's problem is a typical one pointing to a problem with the EIS. I have the same intermittently...usually starts after a couple of goes. Been like this for about 4 years.

·
Registered
1997 E300D
508 Posts
Your Valet key should start the car, otherwise, what good would it be for a Valet. However I also have a valet key that used to start the car but will no longer do so. I assume the chip in it has died. When the chip in a '97 has died the starter will still crank the engine but it will not fire up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts