Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lent my S280 to my sister-in-law got a phone call saying the car wont start in the high St my work was only 5 minutes away so I went over to see what was wrong, Dead no start after calling the AA got the car carried away to my local work shop.
Starter motor & relay had burnt out.

My question is if your turn the key in the ignition and don't release it straight away can this cause this issue?

The mechanic said he has seen this happen many times and put it down to a rely fault.

Not wanting to blame anyone but I have seen videos on Utube saying you should release the key quickly is that why?

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,379 Posts
Lent my S280 to my sister-in-law got a phone call saying the car wont start in the high St my work was only 5 minutes away so I went over to see what was wrong, Dead no start after calling the AA got the car carried away to my local work shop.
Starter motor & relay had burnt out.

My question is if your turn the key in the ignition and don't release it straight away can this cause this issue?

The mechanic said he has seen this happen many times and put it down to a rely fault.

Not wanting to blame anyone but I have seen videos on Utube saying you should release the key quickly is that why?
Please, help us help you.
Update your user cp info.
click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->goto Account Details----> add vehicle details----> add your make model YEAR ----> click save

The answer is yes and no. Driver's crank their ignitions on to start their vehicles - some crank longer to get it started, some not. From your hearsay from your sis-in-law, she most likely has not described clearly how she cranked it.
Best to scan it and see what codes have come up to get a better idea of what may have occurred vs. her description of what she did.

As for mechanics saying things to a potential customer, my advice is always take what they say with a grain of salt and get a 2nd opinion, and investigate yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts