Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 300ce. I was replacing the key tumbler for the ignition switch and removed it with a pin tool depressing the spring. I then
placed the black metal housing without the tumbler in the hole to see how it seated to the ignition switch and somehow it clicked in place
and now it won't come out. I did not think that was possible as i thought the assembly was held in place by the spring clip on the tumbler.
Can anyone tell me how to remove the black metal housing? Thanks

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,213 Posts
You've locked up the entire steering lock. MB designed the lock to work together as an assembly.

You will have to remove the entire lock assembly and replace with a new unit I'm afraid.

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
904 Posts
I have a 1992 300ce. I was replacing the key tumbler for the ignition switch and removed it with a pin tool depressing the spring. I then
placed the black metal housing without the tumbler in the hole to see how it seated to the ignition switch and somehow it clicked in place
and now it won't come out. I did not think that was possible as i thought the assembly was held in place by the spring clip on the tumbler.
Can anyone tell me how to remove the black metal housing? Thanks
If I've understood this correctly, you can get it out with the 2-pronged tool. This may explain:

You have to subscribe, I think, to that forum.

RayH

·
Registered
W124
5,023 Posts
Yes I too think this part should come out. It happened to me once and I got it out. I used tools I made out of coat hanger to release the springs that hold the cylinder in and I reused them to remove the cover when I had trial fitted it.

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
904 Posts
I have a brand new MB complete lock assembly and I've taken the barrel out for my son - my barrel's new.

It was difficult to get out until I squirted some lithium grease into the little holes where the 2-pronged removal tool goes. Thereafter, plain sailing.

R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts