Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just returned home from my kids soccer practice, turned the ignition off and tried to remove the key and it would not come out. Seem like it's not returning back all the way to the start (insert) position. Steering wheel lock is not engaging. Tried depressing the brake, pulling up on the brake and still nothing. Also car will not turn over when I try to start it.
Any ideas out there in the benzworld ???
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2004 ML350 **Now Sold**
65 Posts
Silly question - I suppose the transmission is in Park? If it is sounds like something is wrong with the interlock which stops the car being started in drive someone more knowledgeable will be along to tell yu exactly what to check.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
Hi all, just returned home from my kids soccer practice, turned the ignition off and tried to remove the key and it would not come out. Seem like it's not returning back all the way to the start (insert) position. Steering wheel lock is not engaging. Tried depressing the brake, pulling up on the brake and still nothing. Also car will not turn over when I try to start it.
Any ideas out there in the benzworld ???
Thanks in advance.
Please UPDATE YOUR PROFILE in USER CP.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
If your trans is not in park, try jerking the wheel to straighten it as you attempt to pull out the key, do it simultaneously. Also whenever you park it is best to straighten the steering wheel for ease of removing the key.

·
Registered
1999 ML430 , 1984 Porsche 944, 1974 VW Karmann Ghia
99 Posts
Mine has stuck also when left in Neutral and if I am pressing the brake pedal when I try to remove it. I just have to wiggle it a bit and it lets go, well as long as its in Park and my foot isnt on the brake. Maybe a brake pedal switch??

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
Sometimes the cable between the gearshift and the ignition key breaks - it normally prevents you from removing the key unless it's in Park. If it's a bit sticky you can try shifting back into Neutral then firmly shifting into P. (You may need to stick a small stick/pen into the flap behind the gear shift to release it from P. You must put your foot on the brake while doing this.)

If that doesn't free it, you have a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm an enormous plonker !

r2e hit the nail on the head. Obviously I have a lot on my mind ! Thanks for stating the patently obvious r2e and thanks for the rest of your replies. I love benzworld !

·
Registered
2004 ML350 **Now Sold**
65 Posts
r2e hit the nail on the head. Obviously I have a lot on my mind ! Thanks for stating the patently obvious r2e and thanks for the rest of your replies. I love benzworld !
Don't worry jomiji, we all do silly things. Notice for example I'm not admitting to how I knew straight away what your problem was likely to be............... D:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts