1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1989 500 SE, 1995 E280,1997 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 V6
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Newbie to the forum here!

I had the great good fortune *Knocks on wood* to buy an ‘89 500SE off a very nice gent a few weeks ago. He had owned it from new, which was one of the reasons I went after it on Ebay.

One of the 1st things he said to me when I went to pick up the car was 'Don't use the key in the driver's door, It wants looking at...' Straight in one ear and out the other (we've all been there, right?:rolleyes:). Anyway here I am 5 miles down the road in a petrol station with a very stuck key in the driver's side door. I guess the good thing was that there was a spare, cause I've only just got the thing out 5 weeks later:eek:

Because I couldn't find exact info in the forums on how to do this for the W126 (could be my rubbish internet search skills, I know), I thought I'd let you know how I got on, especially as the door handle for the W126 is quite different from contemporary W123’s and W124's.

1st step was to remove the inner door panel, as there are 2 Phillips screws you need to get at behind it.

This is the link for how to take off the door Panel

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1226976-darn-window-how-remove-door-panels.html

Once panel is off, gently peel back the weathershield film (you’ll want to stick it back later), and loosen arrowed bolts

continues next post...

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now you’re ready to take out the Door handle assembly. My car is a right hander, so the following may work in reverse for you if it’s a left hander. (I’m not sure!).

Anyhoo, turn the key 60 deg towards the Front of the car. This disengages the locking rod from the Door lock assembly (see pic above). At the same time slide the handle to the front of the car, and it should become free in its socket. You still need to unhook a retainer tongue (pic below). This will be at the rearmost part of the handle (ie towards the rear of the car). You’ll see that it’s hooked into a bracket. Pull the bracket towards you to unhook, twist the whole handle clockwise (anti clockwise for lefthanders), and the whole thing should come out in one piece and it should look like the pic below:

View attachment 23082009113

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, so we’re almost there now…..Next you have to disconnect the locking rod from the key lock barrel. The locking rod sits in a bracket, which in turn is connected to the lock barrel shaft via a dowel pin. (See pic below).
The pic below shows all the parts after disconnection. If you can’t find any of the parts in the pic, chances are they are at the bottom of your door, or otherwise gone. At least you’ll know what to look for when sourcing replacements!

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use a punch to tap out the dowel, and then next you need to get the lock barrel and cylinder out of the handle assembly. There are two dowel pins to knock out here (see pic), their job is to hold the barrel/cylinder to the handle. One goes all the way through the cylinder, the other does not (tap it out anyway, it will drop out once it’s free).

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here’s another view showing the cylinder coming out once the pins were removed:

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once the pins are out, you’ll have the cause of all this trouble in your hands: the lock cylinder and barrel.

here’s a link I found useful at this point (the barrel is almost identical to mine)

BMW E30 Door Lock Cylinder Repair

Using the advice from the link above, I took the tumblers out and soaked everything in white spirit. 20 years worth of gunk and grease is a lot, I can tell you.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put every thing back and hey! My key was sliding in and out of that lock like…like….

Anyway, hope you guys find this useful!

Door lock is back in action!

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 300SD, 1994 S350
46 Posts
Someone before me had changed the drivers side door handle and did not have a key that works with the other keys he gave me. Since I got tied of crawling through the other side, I went ahead and changed the handle myself, so now I have a key that works. If I even run out of priority items to repair, I will pull it again and have the tumblers changed so the passenger key will fit. Get me back to two keys.

·
Registered
1988 560sec 195,000 miles 2006 CLK500 40,000 miles 1992 E300 202,000 miles 1998 s320 125,000 m
14 Posts
hate to ask what must be obvious but...

I have the door handle out of the car and am working on the two dowels that hold the tumbler in place. I've got the one out that goes all the way through, bu how do you remove the dowel that doesn't go all the way through? Tapping on it doesn't seem to do anything, and won't that only push it in to where it can't come out?
Appreciate the help, working on stuck door locks on the driver side of an 84 300sd!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the door handle out of the car and am working on the two dowels that hold the tumbler in place. I've got the one out that goes all the way through, bu how do you remove the dowel that doesn't go all the way through? Tapping on it doesn't seem to do anything, and won't that only push it in to where it can't come out?
Appreciate the help, working on stuck door locks on the driver side of an 84 300sd!
That's what I thought too at first. However there should be just enough space for it to drop out, IIRC. Good luck!

·
Registered
1988 560sec 195,000 miles 2006 CLK500 40,000 miles 1992 E300 202,000 miles 1998 s320 125,000 m
14 Posts
Mine doesn't look exactly the same as yours - it is the driver side and has an electrical connection. It is also wider in the area of the dowel and therefor I think I will have to drill it out - don't see any space for it to fall through. Will keep you posted. And your post is just what I needed, thx.

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
Great write up on the lock assembly. With these cars being 20+ years now, not a bad idea to do some preventative work on the cars. Maybe one of those "every ten years" jobs we should all do on our cars.

Regards,

·
Registered
1985 380SE
79 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but this is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for the writeup. My key has been more and more difficult to insert and remove from the driver's side door and this looks like it'll take care of that once I get around to fixing it.

In the meantime, has anyone else used the lubricant linked above?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts