Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
280GE 1985
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing a lost key for my '85 280GE was a lot easier than I first thought, thanks to Anthony at Europa. Most manufacturers (inlcluding MB)require quite of bit of paperwork and 7-15 days to get a replacement key. However, Europa suggested I remove the driver door handle and take it to a locksmith to have a new key made using a specific key blank. Presto, new key in less than 4 hours. Thanks again, Europa. P.S. This method WILL NOT work for the newer G's utilizing high security keys.
[:)]

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Key Blanks for the 460 Series

I have four blanks by ILCO that have the plastic heads just as the MB factory original. These are made in Italy and fit the 460 Series G's. I had my hardeare store cut an extra for me--no charge. You must have a good original key of course.
[:D]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm looking for key's for my 1998 S500 Mercedes Benz...The dealership says they ( MERCEDES BENZ ) no longer make key's for my model???

·
Registered
1997 SL500 AMG
12 Posts
Please let me know if you have any success.
I’m unable to re sync my only key after changing batteries in key fob. I’m dead in the water or in this case the driveway.
Where to begin? New ignition? ECU? No help from MB

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,965 Posts
The battery in the key has nothing to do with starting or driving the car. The battery is used for the window and door lock functions. I've had the ECU on my G300 forget the key numbers. Turned out to be a slowly failing internal memory chip.

·
Registered
1997 SL500 AMG
12 Posts
The battery in the key has nothing to do with starting or driving the car. The battery is used for the window and door lock functions. I've had the ECU on my G300 forget the key numbers. Turned out to be a slowly failing internal memory chip.

·
Registered
1997 SL500 AMG
12 Posts
Thanks AlanMcR for that reply and forgive my ignorance but is that chip in the key fob? Or in the ECU? Was remedy new ECU?

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,965 Posts
Thanks AlanMcR for that reply and forgive my ignorance but is that chip in the key fob? Or in the ECU? Was remedy new ECU?
The memory chip is in the ECU and also stores the VIN, control settings, OBDII codes, etc. It would have required a replacement ECU which would then need to be programmed by the dealer for the existing keys. Since I have a gray market G, MBUSA would rather die than help me. So, I cobbled together the circuit boards and hex edits required to de-immobilize the ECU. I don't know if that is possible for the (different) ECU that controls your engine. Also, in your system, the module that you stick the key into (EZL?) needs to recognize the key too. It is entirely possible that the fault lies there and not in the ECU. The EZL, ECU, and on some models, the TCU, all have to agree that the key is on the list.

·
Registered
1997 SL500 AMG
12 Posts
Alan that is a concise and thorough overview and paints a clear picture. I understand there are lots of hand shaking going on to start the car. Can you explain the distinction between an immobilized Chip in key fob and transponder? Is that one and the same? Also IR handshake from rear view mirror and from trunk key?

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,965 Posts
Alan that is a concise and thorough overview and paints a clear picture. I understand there are lots of hand shaking going on to start the car. Can you explain the distinction between an immobilized Chip in key fob and transponder? Is that one and the same? Also IR handshake from rear view mirror and from trunk key?
Your key contains a coil, RFID chip, and a two way IR communications. The coil and RFID chip are what identify the key to the rest of the vehicle. During programming the magic numbers that correspond to your key(s) are encoded into the memory chips in the other modules (ECU, EZL, maybe TCU). If any one of those loses a bit, or the coil+RFID key fails, you get a no key turn and no start situation. I don't have the tools to debug the system. Theft related parts are (I think by law) restricted to the dealers.

The eastern European car thief gangs don't exactly follow those rules, and I'm pretty sure they are the ones responsible for the de-immobilization technique that I installed.

·
Registered
1997 SL500 AMG
12 Posts
The eastern European car thief gangs don't exactly follow those rules, and I'm pretty sure they are the ones responsible for the de-immobilization technique that I installed.

I believe this to be my scenario so how may I install same de-immobilization procedure?
My key turns in ignition, cranks, but no start.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,965 Posts

I believe this to be my scenario so how may I install same de-immobilization procedure?
My key turns in ignition, cranks, but no start.
You'll need to figure out which ECU type you have and if there is a documented method of defeating the immobilizer on that ECU. Mine is a EDC / MSA 15.1 and the fix is an add-on CAN bus board called a CR1. That along with removing, editing and reinstalling the memory on the ECU. I was dubious, but it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
1997 SL500 AMG
12 Posts
You'll need to figure out which ECU type you have and if there is a documented method of defeating the immobilizer on that ECU. Mine is a EDC / MSA 15.1 and the fix is an add-on CAN bus board called a CR1. That along with removing, editing and reinstalling the memory on the ECU. I was dubious, but it worked perfectly.
That is a direction I will explore. I’m grateful for your insights as I’m determined to get this amazing vehicle back on the road. I’m also frightful of getting a dealer involved, it sounds like you accomplished this diy. I have found ECU’s for sale on internet however I will research reputable sources.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,965 Posts
Any ECU will need to be cloned by the dealer, or opened up and have the chips copied. There is vehicle specific data in there, including the key codes that are allowed to start the vehicle.

·
Registered
1997 SL500 AMG
12 Posts
Alan
That’s a great suggestion. I found a good
Independent and I’ll fup on that and keep you informed. So grateful for your input and interest in my dilemma.
love The support from an MB warrior.

·
Registered
2000 G300TD
22 Posts
Alan
That’s a great suggestion. I found a good
Independent and I’ll fup on that and keep you informed. So grateful for your input and interest in my dilemma.
love The support from an MB warrior.
You can emulate immobiliser. In Europe it's common and it costs like 50 bucks at indie electronic shop. I think you can find someone in US who makes immo-off for MB.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts