Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2004 ML350E
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my manual for our 2004 ML 350, it says that the interior front overhead lights are supposed to come on when the ML is turned off and the key is removed. Ours does not do this. Does anyone's do this and if so, is there some way to make this happen? Thanks

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
I must be lucky because mine knows when it is dark out. When I turn the truck off at night and take the key out the lights inside come on. When it is still day-light out they dont turn on. I found it pretty nifty. [8D]

·
Registered
'02 ML 500
44 Posts
Yeah, the lights do some cool stuff. Ever notice when you unlock only the front door with the remote at night, only the lighting for the front seating area comes on. If you push the unlock button again to unlock the back doors, the rear lighting comes on.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,150 Posts
I must be lucky because mine knows when it is dark out. When I turn the truck off at night and take the key out the lights inside come on. When it is still day-light out they dont turn on. I found it pretty nifty.
Huh? Unless you have a MY2002+, or unless you have done some custom mods, there is no light sensor to control this. Even on MY2002+ trucks with the sensor for the headlights, I believe the dome lights still come on during the day.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2004 ML350E
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had our 2004 in at the dealer yesterday and they had no clue. Until I showed them the manual, they said it was not possible. They tried some 2005 ML's on the lot and said they did not do it, so I gave up with them. I wondered if there was a special setting or fuse associated with it.

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,150 Posts
I know this may be a dumb question, but the lights do work, right? Do they come on when you open the door? How about when you unlock the door with the remote? If not, have you checked to make sure the switch in the overhead console is in the center position? I know this seems obvious, but just thought I’d mention it, just in case.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2004 ML350E
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is not a dumb question - appreciate you asking, but, yes, the lights do work at all other times.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
rudeney - 3/31/2005 2:23 PM

I must be lucky because mine knows when it is dark out. When I turn the truck off at night and take the key out the lights inside come on. When it is still day-light out they dont turn on. I found it pretty nifty.
Huh? Unless you have a MY2002+, or unless you have done some custom mods, there is no light sensor to control this. Even on MY2002+ trucks with the sensor for the headlights, I believe the dome lights still come on during the day.

- RODNEY
Trust me .. I'm not crazy. I KNOW they only turn on at night after I shut my truck off. Like I said, I must be lucky. [:p]

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
That's interesting...

LC - 3/30/2005 8:19 PM

In my manual for our 2004 ML 350, it says that the interior front overhead lights are supposed to come on when the ML is turned off and the key is removed. Ours does not do this. Does anyone's do this and if so, is there some way to make this happen? Thanks
My interior lamps definitely come on when the key is removed from the ignition, or indeed when the key is turned to the off position. HOWEVER, they only seem to come on at night as well. I just tried it (it's light outside right now) and the dome lamps did not illuminate either.

I'll experiment more and report my findings in a few hours.

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
rudeney - 3/31/2005 2:23 PM

- RODNEY
Rodney,
When I got my 99 delivered it did some pretty strange things that I had not heard other ML's do. I would bet other owners have had strange combinations of undocumented capabilities...

First, the windows, seats and sunroof were not supposed to be operable with the key off for 1999 MY. On mine, they did since day one!

Secondly, the fog light switch was not supposed to be operable on the 99 unless activated seperately
Again, on mine they did since day one!

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
It only works if the headlights were previously on. The assumption is that if you were using the headights, then it must be dark and so the interior lights come on when the key is removed. There is no actual light sensor and nothing happens if the headlights were off.

DelJ

LC - 3/30/2005 8:19 PM

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
At night, only the driver side light comes on when I unlock the door. If I have passengers with me, their lights will turn on and the appropriate cupholders pop open and lock in place. I have never seen another ML do this.

Also, if a female sits in the passenger seat- and she is between the ages of 19 and 25- the seat warmer turns on and the seat reclines all the way back.

Is this something that you get programmed at the dealership?

It gets me in trouble with the wife and I would like to have it disabled.

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Your ML must be exorcised.

At midnight, after the cathedral bells gonged 12 times, drive 3 times counterclockwise around it, in a red SL500.

Benz4Dirt&Sky - 4/3/2005 9:44 PM

At night, only the driver side light comes on when I unlock the door. If I have passengers with me, their lights will turn on and the appropriate cupholders pop open and lock in place. I have never seen another ML do this.

Also, if a female sits in the passenger seat- and she is between the ages of 19 and 25- the seat warmer turns on and the seat reclines all the way back.

·
Registered
ML 320
361 Posts
Wolfgang - 4/4/2005 1:06 AM
At midnight, after the cathedral bells gonged 12 times, drive 3 times counterclockwise around it, in a red SL500.
The SL500 is only a two-seater. While driving counterclockwise, where is the wife supposed to sit and where does the 19-25 year old female sit?

And, also, is there a TSB on this one?

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts

Your ML must be exorcised.

[/QUOTE]

I think THAT is what instilled the demons in the first place.

It may take a WHITE SL500 to drive out the evil spirits.

That, a lit candle, and $500 in the offering plate at the dealership service department might do the trick.

(You guys are great. On the 129 board they would have asked, "Are you serious? Sounds like and electrical problem. Maybe you can't really afford a Mercedes.")

[:)]

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
RickT - 4/4/2005 2:34 AM

The SL500 is only a two-seater. While driving counterclockwise, where is the wife supposed to sit and where does the 19-25 year old female sit?

And, also, is there a TSB on this one?
That is the brilliance of the roadster concept. After years of development work, Mercedes learned that limiting the seating capacity to the driver and one passenger has boosted worldwide sales of Mercedes automobiles by 32%.

Guys like a car that can't seat both the wife AND the girlfriend at the same time.

Women love driving with the top down with the 19-25 year old in the passenger seat once they have become friends after the wife found out about her...divorced the guy, and took the SL in the settlement.

The hapless guy is then left to buy ANOTHER Mercedes...a C class, although unfotunately this one will live in a covered space- when he can find a covered one- in the parking lot of his apartment complex.

The TSB can be found on Dr. Phil's website.

·
19,150 Posts
It only works if the headlights were previously on. The assumption is that if you were using the headights, then it must be dark and so the interior lights come on when the key is removed. There is no actual light sensor and nothing happens if the headlights were off.
That makes sense. I always drive with my headlights on, so that explains why my dome lights always come on.

- RODNEY

·
19,150 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Rodney,
When I got my 99 delivered it did some pretty strange things that I had not heard other ML's do. I would bet other owners have had strange combinations of undocumented capabilities...

First, the windows, seats and sunroof were not supposed to be operable with the key off for 1999 MY. On mine, they did since day one!

Secondly, the fog light switch was not supposed to be operable on the 99 unless activated seperately
Again, on mine they did since day one!
[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you got a “late build� MY1999 truck that had the updated AAM and the secondary CAN installed. This is actually not an unusual thing to happen.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Benz4Dirt&Sky - 4/4/2005 12:44 AM

Where can I get this update done ?? I could really use the seat warmer / auto recline feature. Please let me know. Thxs !!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts