Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend was driving my 1998 E320 and as the car was driving he yanked the key out. Now the ignition was broken. It just spins and spins. I replaced the ignition and key,ECU and ignition lock with parts from my 1999 E320 wagon. Now the key won’t turn at all and there is no signs of life. Please help!

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
5,757 Posts
Was the 1999 E320 key turning prior to transplant ?
Do you see "Take Key" message on the Instrument Cluster, when the key is in and the driver's door is opened ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the 99 was working prior. But the battery had been removed months ago. Also the 98 has been sitting for two months so it’s battery died too. When I put the jump box in the 98 everything turns on except the ignition. If I press the unlock button on the new key, the hazard lights blink like I locked the doors

·
Premium Member
5,757 Posts
The headlights blinking with lock/ unlock from the key fob, indicates that the EIS (ignition) has power to authorize the lock / unlock commands.

Then the problem is either the key, or the steering lock (I suppose you transplant it from the 1999 along with the EIS, key, and the ECU). Make sure that the steering lock receives power. Check fuse#9 under the hood at the driver's side fuse panel has power with respect to ground, and is not open (always-on power on both top side access points of the fuse).

·
Premium Member
5,757 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG fuse #9 was popped. Changed it out and added the TCU from the 99. Now all the lights light up when we turn the key (like normal) but the car won’t start. No engine noise or cranking sound.

·
Premium Member
5,757 Posts
Good. Is this the 98 E320 ? Why did you have to move the TCU from the 99 ?

I thought 98 E320 worked. You did not have to move the TCU from 99 to 98.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because I moved the other three parts from the 99 into the 98 and there was no nothing happening when we turn the key so when I added the TCU that’s when all the lights came on

·
Premium Member
5,757 Posts
So, you replaced the steering lock, EIS, and the ECU, and replaced the blown Fuse #9, and the key turns to position 2 and there are no lights on the instrument panel? And when you replaced the 98 TCU (EGS51) witn the 99 TCU(you said it is EGS52), the lights (Engine, BAS, ABS, SRS.....) come up but still no crank ?

I do not think the TCU has anything to do with the lights unless the 98 TCU is defective, and causes the controller CAN C bus to be inoperative. When you turn the key to position 2, all modules receive power, and send status messages to the Instrument Cluster over that bus.

If the 99 has a PRND+- gear shifter and the 98 has PRND4321, The 99 EGS52 will not receive the gear information from the 98 shifter, so the car will not crank.

Try some other EGS51 TCUs that you have.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I put the fuse in and changed the TCU . Then when I turned the key all the lights came on on the instrument cluster. Today, I rechecked everything I did yesterday. Then I jacked up the car and looked at the starter. It’s dusty and rusty. Thinking some cleaning couldn’t hurt. Used a wire as a direct link from starter to battery. Also banged on the starter a little then turned the key. Alas! The starter was extremely sluggish and only seemed to maybe crank a half to one time.
That’s progress. By this time my jump box was dead and had to recharge.

·
Premium Member
5,757 Posts
Usually the copper wire strap between the starter motor and the starter solenoid goes bad and corroded. You need a charged battery to get it going. With a booster, the voltage can drop below minimum while cranking, and the ECU will quit holding the starter relay.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update update update!
So as you guys recall I transplanted the ECU,TCU, ignion with key and steering lock from a 1999 to a 1998. Then took the battery to get charged. As of today, I can report that the car STARTED almost instantly and has been back in business for that family since I turned the key to start it.

oh happy day!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts