Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,887 Posts
Didn't hear about valet mode on trunk lock, but when you lock the trunk with mechanical key and pull the blade out in horizontal position, only blade key will open it again.
I could never find the lock repair manual, so am not sure if the mechanical lock engage additional strong latch (what I want to believe) or just disengage the pneumatic remote, but it sure is good security.
Bottom line -never let the valet have the blade key.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Valet mode must the same as locking with the blade key. Same thing with the glove box (sort of). Like Kajtek1 said, keep the blade key in your pocket and away from the car.

·
Registered
CLK430, E320, and some other toys
91 Posts
:surrender:
For what it's worth, on my 2002 E320 sedan the procedure for getting into the trunk when the electronic key was left inside the trunk is this: have someone disconnect the negative battery cable under the seat for 60 seconds while you sit in the driver seat and immediately upon the re-connection of the cable press the top (lock) portion of the central locking button above the climate control and at the same time have the person who did the battery cable for you, run around to trunk and press the lock cylinder inward and trunk will open!!!:D:):eek:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: where shall I send the case of beer?

·
Registered
'80 300SD (W116), '81 300D, '89 560SL, '01 E320
140 Posts
Solution for locked trunk (used on 2001 E320)

Wow. This thread (and this one) were invaluable in solving this problem. My mom locked her key in the trunk, and AAA came to unlock the doors. We had the same problem -- there's no way to activate the trunk release after the alarm's been triggered. And I read prior posts about how "secure" the trunks on these cars are.

After reading the attached post about the PSE, and the posts about using a nasal aspirator bulb like the one you use to clean out babies' noses, I went for it.

It was super simple. Five minutes or less is all it took to get the impregnable trunk to yield. Here's what you do:

1. Remove the back seat to gain access to the battery area.

2. Pull back some of the foam padding next to the battery to reveal the battery area.

3. Lift up the foam cover to get to the PSE.

4. Carefully, using your fingernail or a tool to release the plastic retaining clip, remove the "HECK" (means "rear", "back", "gate") connection.

5. Use a rubber nasal aspirator bulb, pressed carefully against the end of the line you've pulled from the PSE, to squeeze a puff of air into the line, and hear the trunk click open!

·
Registered
'80 300SD (W116), '81 300D, '89 560SL, '01 E320
140 Posts
It definitely didn't take much pressure. I didn't try using my lungs, but I suspect I could've done it easily. It was just a light squeeze while holding the and of the bulb against the plastic tube.

To be quite honest, I am shocked at how simple a security hack/"back door" (no pun intended...well, maybe...) this is. Someone else posted about how safe these trunks are (he said he leaves his credit cards and valuables in the trunk rather than the hotel safe due to how impregnable they are), and I would have agreed before learning about this trick. I wonder what other hacks we can do to our Benzes.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
If we lock the trunk using the metal blade key we cannot open the trunk as you illustrated. 90 degrees from vertical to horizontal if I remember correctly. The glove box lock works the same way with the manual key.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,887 Posts
Right MM.
On the other hand, even if you don't lock the trunk mechanically, what are the chances a thief will go with blowing procedure on the street or parking lot?

·
Registered
2004 CL500
1 Posts
I have a 2004 CL500. Locked the car and went shopping. Returned to the car and opened the boot without unlocking the car. Put the groceries in the boot and promptly ended up locking the keys in the boot. There was no way I, a mechanic from the local garage or the Mercedes agent could open the boot. Ended up breaking the driver's door window and then discovered that you can't get into the boot anyway as the fuel tank is mounted behind the back rest of the back seat. Eventually the mechanic got the barrel from the boot lock out and by pressing inside the resulting hole, managed to unlock the boot. End result was a repair bill of a round 1500 dollars and a lesson learnt. Make sure you have a spare key. Even if you have to pay a taxi to take you home to get the spare key it is worth more than the frustration and repairs that will follow. In my case the insurance covered most of the bill but it would have been much better if I'd had a spare key. At 250 bucks that spare key is worth every cent.

·
Registered
W210 270 CDI Avantgarde
1 Posts
THANK YOU!

I created this account just to say THANKS! :goojob:
This solution worked perfectly!! I left my key inside the trunk so there was no way I could get into it (I only have one key for this w210). Thankfully, I left my windows slightly open (~1 cm) and my car was on my private garage. With a 2m metal bar and a small hook I was able to pull the door handle from inside (tried multiple times, really not that easy). Once inside my car, removed the rear seat and blew on the HECK tube (needs strength!) and it WORKED! Such an engenious solution! :D Thank you! :smile :eclipsee_steering:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts