Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I hope Mercedes Benz see these post..BECAUSE THEY NEED TOO!!!!! MULTIMILLION DOLLAR COMPANY THAT DO CARE ABOUT THERE PRODUCT..SAD..JUST SAD!!!

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
728 Posts
Correction Big Al. Daimler is a multi-billion dollar company. Indeed, the loss they took on the Daimler-Chrysler 'marriage made in hell' has recently only marginally been exceeded by the VAG (Volkswagen-Audi Group) "Dieselgate". The net loss for Daimler was somewhere around $8B. The Daimler that emerged from that 'divorce' was and is a changed company.

·
Registered
99 CL500
33 Posts
I'm confused on their website, and will give them a call in the morning. Are they changing what is already in the car? I have 1 working RF key fob remote. Anything additional to have to start the car would be excellent. Can they clone what's there or does it change with the new key rendering my current MB original inop?

Why amis everyone going in circles over keys if this is a viable solution?

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1,715 Posts
I'm confused on their website, and will give them a call in the morning. Are they changing what is already in the car? I have 1 working RF key fob remote. Anything additional to have to start the car would be excellent. Can they clone what's there or does it change with the new key rendering my current MB original inop?

Why amis everyone going in circles over keys if this is a viable solution?
I read the website also and was a bit confused too. It sounds like they actually replace a module in the car to make them compatible with the electronics in their keys. If so, that's not a great solution unless you absolutely must have new keys. It's not the worst solution -- and it's certainly better than nothing -- but it's not ideal, mostly because your existing keys will cease functioning. And if something goes wrong with their system, you have to hope they're available to support it.

Another problem is that this is only a solution for 1996 and later cars. All the earlier cars an infrared key system, which this company doesn't address.

At best, this is a half-solution. If you have a 1996+ and you're down to your last key and/or have no key at all, this will be an immediate remedy. Everyone else is probably better off waiting for Mercedes to get their act together.

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
1,871 Posts
The earlier car lock, unlock system (pre-96) can be replaced or supplemented with an RF system. Several of us have done it. Far more range than the IR system, and cheap to boot. A generic $25 system works fine, and comes with two flip key remotes with blank keys that can be cut by many locksmiths. I'm using them on both of my S600 coupes. If you have a pre-96 W140, there's no reason to mess with IR remotes, and pay Mercedes exhorbinent prices if they ever make them available again. There's instructions in this forum somewhere.
Even if the trivial pre-96 immobilizer screws up (which is unrelated to the locks), it can be easily defeated by jumping two terminals on a relay.

Jon

21 - 25 of 25 Posts