Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want everyone to know that if you have lost or missed placed your key. That ( PAYLESS KEY CORP) Can make a key for your car. Mercedes told me that they were looking for a vendor, and that was 6 months ago. PAYLEES KEY CORP GOT IT DONE IN ONE WEEK...GREAT PEOPLE!!!!

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1,710 Posts
Yeah the key blade isn't the issue, it's the electronics in the fob that are not available right now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PAYLESS. Key Corp can make it for you..Mercedes Benz told me they were looking for a vendor 6 months ago. And PAYLESS Key Corp did it in one week..

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1,710 Posts
I checked out the website, apparently they can code a key for the later models but not the early IR keys. I believe they also replace the security module.

It's probably a good option for people who absolutely need replacement keys. It really has no bearing on Mercedes ongoing issue finding a vendor to take on their legacy key business though. It's one thing to bang out a few keys for individual customers, it's another thing to take on a contract to support tens of thousands of Mercedes customers with OEM keys.

The issue isn't that these keys are impossible to make and this one company cracked the code or something, it's that there is likely very little money in the legacy key business and none of Mercedes certified vendors are interested.

It's not so unusual really; I've worked in production for a major consumer products company and we've had production vendors who dropped legacy business on us for any number of reasons. Finding new vendors to take on low-margin legacy production was always a challenge, usually involving building a bigger contract package in which we gave them some other lucrative new business in exchange for them taking on the legacy work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I needed a key, amd Mercedes Benz couldn't do it bottom line..And they did a excellent job..So I am giving anyone who may have lost or misplaced keys a opunity to get a key made instead of waiting around for probably years or decades waiting on Mercedes Benz....

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,894 Posts
Big Al, you still haven't answered the question: "keys only or a key and an electronic key fob?" Keys only are about $30 each at any good key smith.
Anziani

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure about the fobs..but they do everything..I just got two key's...Noboby in Kentucky could do it ( make my key's ). You would have to get in touch with them..

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
726 Posts
Anziani, Thom_7 tried to answer your question before. Big Al did not get just a metal key that could open & close doors & trunk, but a key that would allow Drive Authorization System (DAS) to allow start on a DAS-X car. Those would be '96 on to the end of W140 & R129. Key has to have RFID chip (transponder) in top plastic part of the key. The "Valet" keys for the DAS-X cars were very much like the keys Big Al got. Those valet keys are also currently un-obtainable from MB for DAS-X cars.

·
Registered
2001 E 430; 1995 S500
616 Posts
Could someone tell me how I can determine if my '95 S500 has the RFID (transponder) key or something earlier? What do I look for?
James

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
726 Posts
Inductive (magnetic) coil antenna version for DAS-X has chrome trim ring around ignition switch.

I don't think '95 has DAS-X.

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
408 Posts
Well if this is true, we now have a verified backup for 96+ cars. It is December, and all communication I'd dug up an found out points to this time frame as being the point when we should start seeing keys from MB - unless it was another story to get people off the phone

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep..MB..Get you on the phone and give you a ( SONG & DANCE ) THAT WAS CRAZY TO ME. THAT'S WHY I WANT EVERYONE WHO HAS THE SAME MODEL AS MINE TO HAVE OPINIONS...

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,894 Posts
Anziani, Thom_7 tried to answer your question before. Big Al did not get just a metal key that could open & close doors & trunk, but a key that would allow Drive Authorization System (DAS) to allow start on a DAS-X car. Those would be '96 on to the end of W140 & R129. Key has to have RFID chip (transponder) in top plastic part of the key. The "Valet" keys for the DAS-X cars were very much like the keys Big Al got. Those valet keys are also currently un-obtainable from MB for DAS-X cars.
Thanks for the explanation. I looked at the key fob on my '97 CL600. The chip must be inside of the plastic fob because the key is just a key.
Anziani

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes..sir..just trying to help anyone that's having the same problem that I had..Merecedes Benz should be ashamed of themselves!!!!

·
Registered
1999 S500; W140.051
726 Posts
MB ashamed?!!

They have many new models available with the latest amenities and comforts just waiting to please you....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts