Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

so a friend of mine has a 2005 CLK 320 and she's looking to replace her key fob (the lock button cracked and the unlock button is starting to go as well) so here's my question, is it possible to get a replacement key fob (possibly off ebay or another 3rd party website) and program it yourself or would she have to go get one directly from the dealer?? I've never had to replace my fob before so I'm not 100% sure on what other options are out there other than going to the dealer, which I know is expensive. Any info helps! Thanks!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
You can swap the key case out to another one in better condition if you are careful.

You can not buy a used key or any key meant for another car and reprogram it. Mercedes keys don't work that way. If you want to buy a new key, you have one option only in buying from the dealer. Mercedes takes their keys very seriously.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hey everyone,

so a friend of mine has a 2005 CLK 320 [.......] so here's my question, is it possible to get a replacement key fob (possibly off ebay or another 3rd party website) and program it yourself or would she have to go get one directly from the dealer?? ...............other than going to the dealer, which I know is expensive. Any info helps! Thanks!!
Here’s a straight conventional response to your question: NO, it is not possible to re-program an already used key. Not even SDS can re-code/re-flash these keys. Once coded to a car, it is married for life. Like @Harv81 said, you can replace the shell by swapping the PCB of your old key into a new shell. It must be the same key generation shell.

Since MB smart keys are Theft-Related Parts, if ordered through the dealer, you must show proof of ownership, registration/title & a photo ID that matches the paperwork presented. Keys cost anywhere from $250-500, depending on the car’s MY & model. :rolleyes:

Here’s the unconventional response: We have a couple forum members who can repair these fobs depending on the issue. Your problem is simple since it is still a working key. @93SoCal400E has repaired keys of fellow members recently with positive results. @93SoCal400E and @Dave2302’s knowledge of smart keys & repairs/coding are legendary. You can even upgrade your key to the chrome shell key, but will involve swapping the eefrom chip from your old working key to a new shiny chrome key.

Here’s a link you can do some reading: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2747098-key-malfunction-repair-possible-7.html

If you are going with swapping shells yourself, please do not buy the Chinese made shells. They are a POS, (for luck of a better word) worthless and does not fit right. :( The metal blade key does not even stay on some. You are better off with a shell from a used OEM genuine key.

Of course, based on or in accordance with what is generally & traditionally done, replacement or additional keys are ordered only from the dealer.:)

BTW, where is your friend’s other key for the car? Having just one available key is a disaster waiting to happen. :eek

Good luck.:beerchugr:

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
The key topics are spread all over the forum, but YES - we do have several members who can program MB keys and one made pretty long explanation in R129 section.
Still when those things are routinely done in Europe, MBUSA is not allowing them, so beside making private arrangements, the only way is swap the case from ebay key, or buy new "smart key" from dealer.
Buying from dealer - shop around. Last time I bough MB knob 3 years ago and having 7 dealers within 1 hr of driving, got estimates from $350 to $180.
Suppose the service keys (no door remote) are still available for about $40

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I think this board should have a "Keys" section. Obviously broken down by years. R129 keys have nothing in common with R230 keys.

But a W203 key has same issues as W220 key.

The point I like to get across is that a dead or dying 2000-2008 Smartkey can usually be repaired or have it's "brain" transplanted. The cost is 1/6 to 1/3 of getting dealer to create one. So, people who ran one through the washer and chucked it in a drawer should get it fixed/transplanted. The one I did today is an excellent example. A guy was trying to put a black plastic in new housing, something went in wrong and he knocked the ir chip (and top half of panic switch) right off the PCB. It was his only key. So he could lock and unlock doors, but not start car. Pretty sure he'll have that solved when key shows up later today.

I know nothing about the ir readers and burners that make "reprogramming" work. I have several pre-burned NEC chips if someone wants a couple to play with. These are eeprom chips I pulled off newer Chrome keys when moving EEPROM from black plastic key.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Benz keys ? I got ya.

Anyway, I thought I shouldn't post such a thing, but I'm gonna go ahead and leave it up to the moderators, since I'm here just to help and get the help I need, I just want to share with y'all my thoughts when it comes to Benz keys, just went ahead and ordered a Benz key programmer for about 980 USD, will try on my w211, according to some trusted feedbacks, I'm gonna be able to add new spare keys...lol don't wanna mention the tool name , but it is possible to get new keys for way way less for what the dealer is asking for, my thing is, I can offer y'all this , but I can't cut the blade key as of now, since the machines that cut the keys cost a couple k USD, but hey, I can make you a spare fob key, that will start your car for the low low.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For the moment: Cheapest current SoCal dealer for keys?

Somehow, one of my daughters lost my only Keyless Go key for my '03 CLK500. Surely, I couldn't have lost it myself, even though I lose everything else...

I still have the no-KG key, which makes me wonder if it could be tweeked, but having read the above, I doubt it. And I'd still only have one key.

And while the more exotic possibilities are intriguing, for the short term, which of the piratical, merciless MB dealers in Southern California has the least worst price on replacement keys? Unless somebody else has an alternative? I briefly considered finding a wrecked Keyless Go car with the correct key and methodically replacing all the parts, but it would probably take me a month of Sundays, be more expensive that a new key, and wouldn't work. This stuff is ridiculously complicated, but it was a nice feature, and hopefully I could get my money back out when I sell it. Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
For the moment: Cheapest current SoCal dealer for keys?
When living in San Francisco area, I check that MB of Fairfield was having the best prices. Not only the lowest markup, but they would give me 10% discount just for asking (I present myself as business owner).
Over 3 years ago I got new chrome key from them for $162.
This year, needing keyless key (?) and living in Vegas, I was getting $800 estimates, since those keys require actuall programming.
So used my visit to Bay Area to go to Fairfield, where they sold me new key for $500 total, deleted lost keys and adjusted tire pressure with TPMS programming. Add cappuccino, bananas and snack bars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts