Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have problems with their key for not functioning? <br>
<br>
Only had the car 6 months and the car will not lock or unlock with the key fob anymore. Today I had to keep hitting the button for several minutes until it finally unlocked.<br>
<br>
Anyone had similar problems? Remedy? <br>
<br>
Should the dealer replace the fob? The battery? Or is it on my nickel?<br>
<br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same problem and one dealer told me that alot of E-Class key transmitters have a problem (New models) and that they had to special order the part to mate my car (E55). <br> <br> On a completely different issue I was at another MBZ dealer a few weeks later and told them about my key problem and they said they had never heard of that with the E-Class but instead with the C-Class! So they replaced my batteries for free and I have not had a problem since but the dealer with my special part order is holding the parts just in case it occurs again.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the manual that I have, you can check to see if the battery in your fob is low by looking at the fob as you press the unlock button. If the red LED on the fob does not activate (turn on) when hitting the unlock button, then your battery is low.<br> This may or may not solve your problem.<br> <br> Mike V

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery replaced

Took the car in today. Of course it worked just fine when the service lady tried it. I walked back to the car and it didn't work. She did point out the red light. When I tried it did not light up. She told me to buy a new battery.<br> <br> I had 2 problems with this: 1) I wasn't sure it was the battery and not the transmitter. 2) Why in the hell should I have to replace a battery on 6 month old car?!?<br> <br> I did not even ask how much the battery was. I marched over to my car salesmen (a great guy) and complained to him. He walked over with me and talked to the service manager. I got a new battery within a few minutes. gratis. It was the principal of the thing. I paid $78k for a car in February and you are going to chintz me on a friggin' watch battery??? That's the kind of thing that makes people go to the Lexus dealer the next time. (not that I would mind you)<br> <br> Seems to work fine now. Hope I don't go through batteries every 6 mos. that is ridiculous. My chevy and chryler key fobs have last for 2 and 3 years respectively with no problem.<br> <br> How much are those batteries anyway?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These new key transmitters are known to fail.<br> MB is aware of that and for example, they<br> replaced all my keys free of charge (W203).<br> I think that all the newer models share same<br> key design, which is supposed to have buggy<br> software and they are replacing them under<br> warranty. There are a bunch of recalls on<br> this issue in the MB technical bulletins.<br> My dealer has several such accidents with<br> W210 and W203s. I believe that it could apply<br> to ML as well.<br> <br>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts