Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500SEC, 1993 300SD
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if you can reprogram a used remote to work with a early w140 1993 300sd without buying a new one from the dealer. I have been told that you can program a unit since a 93 does not have the chip in the key, please help. Thanks

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
to program the remote you put the key in ignition and push the button but now if yours has the chip and its a different type of remote it wont work. so its a gamble it might work and it might not work

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
The early remotes are coded by vin, you could get lucky and your car might accept the code but it could wipe out your existng remote. MB keeps track and sells you an entire remote with proper key for $150

·
Registered
92 W140 300SD 97 VW Jetta TDI 05 E320 CDI 90 Passat Wagon TDI
1,178 Posts
It's unlikely that your car will accept the remote. You have to try it using the guide in the owners manual for integrating the remote, but from what I have read on these it's impossible to get a remote for another car to work.

·
Registered
81 240D, 82 300CD, 91 350SD, 93 300SD
114 Posts
I know this is an older thread and some of the folks who were part of it may no longer have this car, but I am curious if others can share insight. I dont have a remote - would like one. Since I dont have one, can I buy any 1993 remote and go through the synchronization process to align it to my car?

·
Registered
600 coupe
1,229 Posts
I buy any 1993 remote and go through the synchronization process to align it to my car?
The short answer is no, it won't work.
Aftermarket remote lock/unlock is the way to go.

·
Registered
600 coupe
1,229 Posts
Look on ebay and/or on here. Pay attention to those listings that give you a fob AND a blank key, so a locksmith can cut it for you.
1993 is early enough in the production cycle that there will be no immobilizer issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Look on ebay and/or on here. Pay attention to those listings that give you a fob AND a blank key, so a locksmith can cut it for you.
1993 is early enough in the production cycle that there will be no immobilizer issues. Good luck.
OK will start looking.

Im assuming that the blanks can be gotten elsewhere and cut (or a dealer replacement cut flip-out key section) of this general type:
Gesture Font Rectangle Auto part Fashion accessory

Anything wrong with a fob that has a cut key, assuming I can buy a blank and get it cut?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
OK will start looking.

Im assuming that the blanks can be gotten elsewhere and cut (or a dealer replacement cut flip-out key section) of this general type:

Anything wrong with a fob that has a cut key, assuming I can buy a blank and get it cut?

Thanks!
I thought I recalled someone else doing this a while back. The remote wont work but the key will work.

I managed to get a valet key years ago but I think they might not do that anymore?

The replacement key section won't look like that though, it'll have to have the hinge section to work with the remote.

You might contact a dealer to see what options are available too...but those will likely be expensive.

Steve

Reactions: JHZR2

·
Registered
114 Posts
I thought I recalled someone else doing this a while back. The remote wont work but the key will work.

I managed to get a valet key years ago but I think they might not do that anymore?

The replacement key section won't look like that though, it'll have to have the hinge section to work with the remote.

You might contact a dealer to see what options are available too...but those will likely be expensive.

Steve
Ive lost you a bit....

Agree the key blank wont look exactly the same.

But I thought it was the case that if I found a 93-era remote, it could be reprogrammed to my specific car... then put the newly cut key into the remote and be good to go...

Is that not the case?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Ive lost you a bit....

Agree the key blank wont look exactly the same.

But I thought it was the case that if I found a 93-era remote, it could be reprogrammed to my specific car... then put the newly cut key into the remote and be good to go...

Is that not the case?
My understanding is that the early switchblade remotes cannot be changed to a different car. In fact I think that goes for all of the W140 series cars, especially the ones with the halo around the ignition switch (later years).

I researched this years ago and that's the conclusion I came to. I will do some further investigation on the matter to be sure, but I came away from this wondering why people were trying to sell the remotes used since they couldn't be made to work with any car but the original.

Steve

Reactions: JHZR2
1 - 12 of 12 Posts