Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ML350 / 2003 C240 4-MATIC / 1999 SLK230 Kompressor
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Follow UP of what I found after 6 hours of work. 7PM at night till 2AM next morning. This is a follow up to a post I had on here for Transmitter Key FOB not working after replacing the battery and resyncing it to the car's transmitter reciever. Anyway, here is the story.

THANKS FOR THE REPLIES GUYS.

Most of you are going to say, wow I should have checked that first.
I KNEW that....
Or I spent 6 hours trying to diagnose something that was electrical.
Many people know that electrical problems are the worst problems in Automobiles.

Well here is my two cents....
The 1999 - 2000 SLK 230 and 320 have a radio transmitter FUSE in the FUSE Box in the engine compartment.

It was a coincidence that my KEY FOB stopped working when I installed the Tail Lights. Well after reading on many different forums and also seeing ten different diagrams of the PSE and Automobile Arlarm on my SLK, I figured anything electrical MUST contain a fuse.

So all in all I took out each and every fuse there was one by one and inspected them PHYSICALLY and tested them for Continuity.

FUSE BOX TERMINAL NUMBER (9) in the engine compartment fuse box is RADIO TRANSMITTER, INTEIOR LIGHT MODULE, and etc. THIS IS THE FUSE THAT ALLOWS the antenna in the car to recieve signals from the transmitter when you press lock/unlock/panic on your KEY FOBS.

AGAIN I thank all that have responded my POST.

Just goes to show, KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. No offense to anyone but I was so tired and couldnt think straight and all I saw was the cash register at MB dealership going Caching caching caching. Everyone knows what I mean.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'll add my thanks for your post. I've never had a problem with our key fobs that new batteries couldn't cure. But if ever I do I'll start where you ended! :thumbsup:

BTW: While we're on the subject, that little Mercedes logo on the key fob? One of ours fell off at some unknown point. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to find a replacement? I hate to shell out big bucks for a new key, etc. Welcome any ideas and TIA!

·
Registered
1998 SLK230 249,xxx Miles RIP
7,708 Posts
I'll add my thanks for your post. I've never had a problem with our key fobs that new batteries couldn't cure. But if ever I do I'll start where you ended! :thumbsup:

BTW: While we're on the subject, that little Mercedes logo on the key fob? One of ours fell off at some unknown point. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to find a replacement? I hate to shell out big bucks for a new key, etc. Welcome any ideas and TIA!

I've seen them on eBay UK for around $10
For me its a little pricy for a sticker.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 auto, 2006 CLS320 CDi.
420 Posts

·
Registered
230 SLK 1998
23 Posts
Rich,

same happened to my key fob, the wee plastic badge dropped off somewhere.

I got a metal enamel lapel badge from fleabay and pulled the pin off of the back with a pair of pliers.

Fitted perfectly-glued it with two part epoxy glue (and TBH looks better than the OEM plastic effort).

If I remember it was around GBP5, which I think is appx USD8-ish.

I was well pleased. Have a surf on the same site but put in .co.uk instead of .com

Jim

·
Registered
Two 1998 SLK230s, 2003 SLK230 SE, 2002 ML320
920 Posts

Glad you solved the problem. I couldn't see it had anything to with LED taillights.
My logo fell off the FOB too - I didn't lose it and glued it back on, but it looks dreadful as the glue messed up the silver backing of the badge.
I bought a replacement FOB for a previous SLK a few years ago and noted they come will a moulded star now, not a stuck on badge. Clearly the adherence of the badges (lack of) has been a problem, but unfortunately not been rectified by MB for us.

·
Registered
2007 ML350 / 2003 C240 4-MATIC / 1999 SLK230 Kompressor
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KISS-Keep It Simple Stupid

So the next time our Key Fobs don't work? We will check the fuse second right? Thanks for the replies guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.