Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2011 E350 Estate (wagon)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all i am new here and checked in in the New Members forum.

I am posting here in the General Forum with my questions because from my research it seems that MB uses the same key across many models. Thus posting in a specific model forum limits the possible exposure for my questions.

Let me start with some background before I ask my questions.

2 weeks ago I purchased a 2011 E350 Wagon (S212). As for options it is probably pretty standard for a USA vehicle. Car came with 2 keys. i tested both at the car place to make sure they both worked. Both keys lock/unlock/start car.

After a VIN check I found the car has Keyless Go option number 899 installed. after a little research I found the Start/Stop button for $7.12 tax and delivery included. Cant beat that price so I ordered it with no expectations. if it did not work no great loss. But I have had 3 other cars with "push to start" and I like it so I was hoping it was that easy.

Button arrived 2 days later and I followed the instructions that came in the box. 1. Put key in ignition and turn to position 2 ( do not start), after 10 seconds turn key off, remove. 2. put start stop button in ignition. 3. Press Brake and Press Start/Stop button.

Well it worked just as it should, it started the car. I can leave the key in my pocket, touch handle to unlock, press stop start to start/stop the engine, lock car with touch.

Now a couple week later I had some time and it has finally stopped raining here. So I took the second key and went out to the car. 45 minutes later after reading posts, watching videos and other research I can not get the second key to work. it sill works as a "dumb key fob" i.e. push lock or unlock button and they work put key in ignition and it starts the car just no luck with "touch to unlock/lock and not push to start.

So now on to my questions.

1. Are all MB keys that work and start the car Keyless go enable, or are there 2 different keys available?

2. If there is 2 different style keys is there a way to tell the difference?

3. Is there a special routines to get the second key working possibly that is different than the first key? ( previous BMW was this way do key 1 this way and key 2 another way.)

4. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions.

Schatzy62

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
46,182 Posts
HI all i am new here and checked in in the New Members forum.

I am posting here in the General Forum with my questions because from my research it seems that MB uses the same key across many models. Thus posting in a specific model forum limits the possible exposure for my questions.

Let me start with some background before I ask my questions.

2 weeks ago I purchased a 2011 E350 Wagon (S212). As for options it is probably pretty standard for a USA vehicle. Car came with 2 keys. i tested both at the car place to make sure they both worked. Both keys lock/unlock/start car.

After a VIN check I found the car has Keyless Go option number 899 installed. after a little research I found the Start/Stop button for $7.12 tax and delivery included. Cant beat that price so I ordered it with no expectations. if it did not work no great loss. But I have had 3 other cars with "push to start" and I like it so I was hoping it was that easy.

Button arrived 2 days later and I followed the instructions that came in the box. 1. Put key in ignition and turn to position 2 ( do not start), after 10 seconds turn key off, remove. 2. put start stop button in ignition. 3. Press Brake and Press Start/Stop button.

Well it worked just as it should, it started the car. I can leave the key in my pocket, touch handle to unlock, press stop start to start/stop the engine, lock car with touch.

Now a couple week later I had some time and it has finally stopped raining here. So I took the second key and went out to the car. 45 minutes later after reading posts, watching videos and other research I can not get the second key to work. it sill works as a "dumb key fob" i.e. push lock or unlock button and they work put key in ignition and it starts the car just no luck with "touch to unlock/lock and not push to start.

So now on to my questions.

1. Are all MB keys that work and start the car Keyless go enable, or are there 2 different keys available?

2. If there is 2 different style keys is there a way to tell the difference?

3. Is there a special routines to get the second key working possibly that is different than the first key? ( previous BMW was this way do key 1 this way and key 2 another way.)

4. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions.

Schatzy62
Welcome to the forum,
And 2 thumbs up for having found your section and filled out profile.
Before the resident experts chime in, you can use the 'Search Community' box on top for all threads on 'key less entry' etc.
Stay safe Find your Forum Section, Navigate & Search

·
Registered
2011 E350 Estate (wagon)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Teutone,

After 15 minutes of searching I have not found a way to send you a private message. Maybe i am Missing something or may be i have to make a certain number of post to be able to private message I am not sure. So I am hoping you see this.

I originally posted this message in the General section due to the nature of my issue. If you read the second sentence. it actually explains "why" I posted in the General Forums.

I have read 'every' post in the W212 section already and "not" found an answer to my questions. I searched the entire website and have not seen a post that really answers my questions.

I was hoping that by Posting in the General Forum that other members that do not look at the W212 section because they don't have a W212 might come across my post and actually be able to answer it.

As the owner of a W212 I will not be looking at other sections regularly but "will" be looking at the general section long before looking at a specific section that is not directly related to my model of car.

So with all that said is there anyway to get this thread posted back to the General Section.

·
Registered
2011 E350 Estate (wagon)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KG keys are different and more expensive. You can order a regular fob for a KG-equipped and obviously the KG function won’t work.
So you are saying that there is definitely 2 different keys available KG and NOT KG. but how do you tell them apart. Every other brand car i have owned with something similar Push to Start button has had an easy to determine difference between the keys. I.E. BMW/MINI the NON KG key does "not "have a replaceable battery where the Push To Start Key had a replaceable battery. Toyota had slightly different shapes to the key.

So is there any way to tell by looking at the key which it is?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
23,116 Posts
From I can tell there is not a visual clue to tell the difference.

·
Registered
*******2006 S430 4Matic******2016 Grand Cherokee Limited********
279 Posts
Congrats on a gorgeous car and welcome to the best forum. Nice to see another central Mass guy in the mix.

In my experience (high end used auto parts) there is always a difference between KG and non KG. You say you have one that works correct ? is there really a need for 2 working KG keys ? The second non KG should be treated as a spare. With the KG key being your primary. Sounds like you have a lot to be happy about with such an easy conversion. However that being said, go enjoy your new car

·
Registered
2011 E350 Estate (wagon)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay so there are no valid part numbers inside the key there is only 1 number that is different between the 2 remotes.

Fob working as Keyless Go has FCC ID: 1YZDC10

Fob "not" working as Keyless Go has FCC ID 1YZDC11.

But i did fjnd a dealer in North Carolina selling the Keyless go version for $272.50. I will have to call them tomorrow to see if the will do the order via email with documents that prove ownership. My local dealer in MASS wants $440 thats just way to high.

·
Registered
2011 E350 Estate (wagon)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on a gorgeous car and welcome to the best forum. Nice to see another central Mass guy in the mix.

In my experience (high end used auto parts) there is always a difference between KG and non KG. You say you have one that works correct ? is there really a need for 2 working KG keys ? The second non KG should be treated as a spare. With the KG key being your primary. Sounds like you have a lot to be happy about with such an easy conversion. However that being said, go enjoy your new car
Okay so maybe I am just a little anal. I figure if the car has the option then all keys should work that option. Thing is with this car to change from Keyless Go to NON Keyless GO, the push button has to be removed. That makes it a pain to do.

Both my BMW and MINI have a separate push button from where the key goes. So to get in the BMW and MINI without the Convenience Key (Keyless Go key) (i.e. the valet key) is easy just put it in the slot and press the button "next to the key slot" and off you go.

Also I have not owned the car long enough to know if the key holds setting like seat position, steering wheel position, mirror position radio station. Both my MINI and BMW do these things so when my wife gets in the car the seats, steering wheel, mirrors move and the radio tunes to her favorite station as saved in the key. Well not actually the key but in the CAS module that stores what key is unlocking the car and set the positions and radio.

Having to remove the button will be a pain the butt if my wife needs the car and if I have the Key less Go key in my pocket it is not going to go over well.

So yes it would be good to have 2 Keyless go keys.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Okay so there are no valid part numbers inside the key there is only 1 number that is different between the 2 remotes.

Fob working as Keyless Go has FCC ID: 1YZDC10

Fob "not" working as Keyless Go has FCC ID 1YZDC11.

But i did fjnd a dealer in North Carolina selling the Keyless go version for $272.50. I will have to call them tomorrow to see if the will do the order via email with documents that prove ownership. My local dealer in MASS wants $440 thats just way to high.
Which dealer ?

·
Registered
'95 E320 Wagon & '98 BMW M3
911 Posts
The key does not store any settings, their set via the M, 1, 2, 3 buttons on the door. 1 thru 3 are unique settings that can be programmed. To retrieve a setting, you press and hold (till adjustments are compete) whichever setting you desire.

It’s all in the manual… read it at your pleasure.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
7,294 Posts
You likely have a normal key and a KG key, which is why your second key is not working.

I doubt the dealer will mail the key over, MB policy is to have cars present at the dealership before the dealer will order keys....no exception. This is MBUSA policy, so all franchised dealers under their banner have to adhere to the policy. They don't screw around.

$440 for a KG key is absurdly cheap. I would jump on that yesterday if I were you.....around here its $400 for a normal key, and $600+ for KG. I really cannot overstate how cheap that is. Snap that up.

·
Registered
2011 E350 Estate (wagon)
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The key does not store any settings, their set via the M, 1, 2, 3 buttons on the door. 1 thru 3 are unique settings that can be programmed. To retrieve a setting, you press and hold (till adjustments are compete) whichever setting you desire.

It’s all in the manual… read it at your pleasure.
Yes I fully understand that function of the buttons on the door. My BMW has them on the door below the arm rest yet still has the key function as well.

And i am one of the VERY FEW that actually read the manual before even searching on line to find an answer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes I fully understand that function of the buttons on the door. My BMW has them on the door below the arm rest yet still has the key function as well.

And i am one of the VERY FEW that actually read the manual before even searching on line to find an answer.

i think he is just trying to help, thats all....maybe you should have stuck to BMW's ?

·
Registered
'95 E320 Wagon & '98 BMW M3
911 Posts

In short, I was stating that none of the functions or settings are tied to the keys. They are not “personalized” like some makers do.

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
5,502 Posts
I cannot get the second key to work. it sill works as a "dumb key fob" i.e. push lock or unlock button and they work put key in ignition and it starts the car just no luck with "touch to unlock/lock and not push to start.
Fob working as Keyless Go has FCC ID: 1YZDC10, Fob "not" working as Keyless Go has FCC ID 1YZDC11.
May need to replace second key. Unfortunately only dealer or authorized locksmith can check your second key, and order correct replacement if need be. Here are KG key part #s for your model & model year if you want confirmation provide VIN. Note part # is 1yzdc10: New Mercedes Benz 4 Button Panic Remote Key Fob IYZDC10 A 2049056202 9999 | eBay

Rectangle Font Technology Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
279 Posts
In short, I was stating that none of the functions or settings are tied to the keys. They are not “personalized” like some makers do.
This is a great group of guys on this forum… it’s sad to see these pontificators come in snd try to act all “technical” and then get snippy when you help them. I promise not all Mercedes or BMW drivers are bad…..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts