Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 320 2000 Cabriolet
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I have bought a 3 button key off ebay (!) THey jey is in mint condition but note that my original only has 2 buttons.

I also bought a reprogramming guide (also off ebay!) attached.

I tried to followi the instructions for the 2/3 button remote but it asks me to put the new fob into the ignition and turn it and then push the buttons. HOwever, I hcan't get it to turn so assume that it's realising that this is not the right key and not allowing me to turn (Makes sense otherwise anyone could get any key and then reprogram any merc and drive off!)

So I then tried the C/E/SLK class instructions for teh hell of it (as it had a version that included using the manual key which made sense- you would need to have the original key to reprogram the fob). It was then that I discovered that my manual key doesn't open the driver's door. I can't get it into the boot either (let alone try to turn it - could this be just muck in the key cylinder).

The manual key works the glove compartment but surely it should work the door too?

So - help please!
HOw can I
  1. reprogram the new fob or do I have to go to MB?
  2. WHy can't the manual
key open the door when it can open the glove compartment. Should they be the same key or are they different? If the same then either the barrel on the drivers door has been changed and they've lost the key or I should clean the barrel out - any ideas?

THanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
CLK 320 2000 Cabriolet
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh - and another thing. HOw do I use the manual key to start the car in case the fob is broken? I can't find a place to put the key in anywhere??? Is there a place or is it only with the FOB that you can start the car?
Thanks

·
Registered
CLK320
945 Posts
These keys cannot be reprogrammed

·
Registered
CLK 320 2000 Cabriolet
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK - should have guessed this on ebay. The items are back on sale for the next victim!

So - hope someone can help on my other 2 questions:
Why can I get the manual key to lock the glove compartment but not the drivers door or boot- should they all be the same key - don't want to force it to find out that there's other keys for the glove compartment.

second question - is there not a place to start the car with the key rather than the remote? What happens if the batteries are dead - I wouldn't be able to start the car???

thanks in advance:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can't start the car with the manual key...work only with the electronically one.If the battery is empty you change the battery on the key.
I think you can't open the door because the look is different...maybe have accident and change the door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts