Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
C230 K Sport Sedan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in August I got my wife an 04 C240 Wagon (black). I loved the ride of that car so much that I just picked up an 05 C230 Kompressor (also black) for myself. It's the dead of winter here in NJ, and after just getting through a snow storm, the roads are full of raod salt. The cars get dirty with mist from other cars tires, puddles from melting snow, etc. After pulling the cars into the garage, you can see the white powdery salt on the car. I really don't want to take either car to a car wash and I don't want to left that powdery salt stay on the car. So, my question is to others in cold, snowy climates; how do you keep your car clean in the winter months? How do you wash it when the outside temp. is 10F?

Thanks

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,109 Posts
Since you have a garage. And are now the proud owner of 2 Mercedes, then your work has just begun to maintain and preserve them.

You can give both cars a luke warm water rinse inside your garage to get the salt off. Get yourself a chamois for drying. Make sure you wipe both of them good and dry. Definitely get the water out of any places where water can sit, (near the battery tray etc). Also, I would put a coat of wax on them, especially around the wheel openings and lower body parts of the car. This will help fight off any of the salt eating into your paint.

Since I live Philadelphia. Go Eagles!!! I'm not as fortunate to have a garage that my 1987 420 SEL can fit into. So I take her to a DIY car wash/garage bay near my office that offers a luke warm water rinse cycle with a adjustable power sprayer. The owner only charges me $2. to rinse her off good. I noticed that this definitely helps because I use the rinse to remove any ice/sludge/salt buildup that generates on your lower body panels right behind each wheel. Hopefully this helps. Take care.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to fight with the salty road conditions constantly here.During the winter I prefer the touchless drive thru systems and the drive in spray systems where you feed the meter with quarters.The drive in car washes with the brushes may do damage to your automobile finish.Regarding the later,the quarters,I've had to practice extreme caution on the account of being the near victim of an attempted 400 jacking by gangster mentality.I've attempted to mini detail with a good spray between waxing detailer without much sucess because of temperature affecting the effectiveness of the detailer.Mostly the washes and the coming of Spring have been the most effective.[;)]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts