Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEL BLACK ON BLACK
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just read consumer reports on the 2007 mercedes all models same report for several years now below average in all ratings below average or very poor in all categories ranked below average in reliability lowest ranked new car you can buy

·
Registered
Classic 92 190E 2.6
4,235 Posts
123CLOCK said:
just read consumer reports on the 2007 mercedes all models same report for several years now below average in all ratings below average or very poor in all categories ranked below average in reliability lowest ranked new car you can buy
I am sure you will get many comments, which will basically state it is just one big conspiracy against Mercedes-Benz.

·
Registered
1982 300CD|1998 GMC Sierra 2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel|2008 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L DD
2,003 Posts
Yeah.. It's really a shame to see how mercedes benz has gone down hill through the years, I think the cars during the 80's and early 90's were their best.

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
52 Posts
I wouldn't read too much into consumer reports. They test cars the same way as appliances. You will see most of the "recommended" cars are either Honda or Toyota. I read somewhere that they survey mostly their subscribers and the subscribers mostly follow CR recommendations. So it's anybody's guess how well are the cars that didnt do well in the past statistically represented.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEL BLACK ON BLACK
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well its a shame but all the car rating people put the new mercedes models since the mid 90s as a high priced and poor quality car its a shame hope they can turn things around and start making a high quality car again and stop trying to sell to anybody with a minimum wage job

·
Registered
1967 250SE RHD, 1969 300SE L, 1989 560SEC with AMG upgrades, 1998 s600 coupe
772 Posts
123CLOCK said:
I think w/o the consumer report it has been obvious lately how poorly late benzes are made. I have a 2007 E350 and can tell you that in the car, with your eyes closed and does not seem like a benz, feels, sounds like any generic Honda or Toyota. I mean it still is a mercedes, but.... The latest model Mercedes that I have and still feels, sounds, looks like a Mercedes, and is put together like a Mercedes is my 1998 S600 coupe. My friend is an attorney and they do alot of lemon cases. You would not believe how many benzes come in. It is redicilous. Also, let's not even talk about their service.....Today, the only Mercedes that is still a "Mercedes" is the G class. Still very well built and very reliable.

·
Registered
Classic 92 190E 2.6
4,235 Posts
ChopTop250SE said:
I think w/o the consumer report it has been obvious lately how poorly late benzes are made. I have a 2007 E350 and can tell you that in the car, with your eyes closed and does not seem like a benz, feels, sounds like any generic Honda or Toyota. I mean it still is a mercedes, but.... The latest model Mercedes that I have and still feels, sounds, looks like a Mercedes, and is put together like a Mercedes is my 1998 S600 coupe. My friend is an attorney and they do alot of lemon cases. You would not believe how many benzes come in. It is redicilous. Also, let's not even talk about their service.....Today, the only Mercedes that is still a "Mercedes" is the G class. Still very well built and very reliable.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the G Class is really a sub-contracted built vehicle, made in Graz, Austria.

·
Registered
89 300SE
357 Posts
bgoin said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the G Class is really a sub-contracted built vehicle, made in Graz, Austria.
It does not matter where and who builds it. As long as it meets or exceeds the quality standards expected of the brand.

·
Registered
Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
1,296 Posts
mansito said:
It does not matter where and who builds it. As long as it meets or exceeds the quality standards expected of the brand.
would u buy a merc if it was made in india?

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Consumer Reports tested the 1978 300D sedan and stated it was "the best car they had ever tested in the entire history of their testing cars". High praise indeed.

Another magazine said, of those older ones "You could be blindfolded, and by the time you opened the door, sat down, closed it and seized the steering wheel, you would know you were in a Mercedes Benz"

I have always felt the brand was at its apogee with the W116, W123, R107, W124 and 126 cars, for general safety, durability, build quality, ease of repair and inarguable status.

The new ones continue to pave the way in safety and electronic innovations, but something seems to have been lost along the way.

From "engineered like no other car in the world" to "now a Mercedes is affordable to lease" suggests the car is now built more to a price point.

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
52 Posts
"would u buy a merc if it was made in india?"

It appears India plant is it's best outside germany - see below:

DaimlerChrysler India is awarded "Best Mercedes Benz Production Plant" based in pune outside germany.The earlier awards came in the year 1998,1999,2000,2001.

"In today’s market, quality becomes the focal competition factor which gives Mercedes-Benz vehicles the competitive edge over all other auto manufacturers," said Dieter Heyl, head of Quality at DaimlerChrysler India.

This award shows excellent quality car India is capable of producing. It also is the matter of time before the Indian cars would be shining in the world market , thanks to ne breed of people who have a dream in their eyes to make something big and to make India big.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
yeah that's why i asked..it's sad but i bet you if you walked into a dealer and had to choose btw made in india or germany u'd pick the german made car right? I certainly would...

·
Registered
Classic 92 190E 2.6
4,235 Posts
gikn said:
"would u buy a merc if it was made in india?"

It appears India plant is it's best outside germany - see below:

DaimlerChrysler India is awarded "Best Mercedes Benz Production Plant" based in pune outside germany.The earlier awards came in the year 1998,1999,2000,2001.

"In today’s market, quality becomes the focal competition factor which gives Mercedes-Benz vehicles the competitive edge over all other auto manufacturers," said Dieter Heyl, head of Quality at DaimlerChrysler India.

This award shows excellent quality car India is capable of producing. It also is the matter of time before the Indian cars would be shining in the world market , thanks to ne breed of people who have a dream in their eyes to make something big and to make India big.
Actually you can read this in a negative way. Mercedes-Benz of Germany is now so bad that the India made ones are better!

·
Registered
1982 380 SEL
235 Posts
I worked as a detailer at a car wash this past summer and I sat in hundreds of different cars, including numerous newer Mercedes. All new cars suck. They have little to no chrome. Instead they all have cheap dark grey plastic trim. Only half of the outside of a car is metal anymore. The same goes for interiors. Every new car is full of plastic!! Even the newer Mercedes. The amount of wood trim has certainly dropped. Certainly the newer Mercedes can tell me where the nearest Chinese restaurant is, but I could give a rat's balls because I wouldn't invest in a luxury car to eat chinese food, I'd invest in luxury car to drive in LUXURY! Plastic isn't luxurious. EVERY car has plastic. 2k of burled walnut is luxurious. NOT every car has that.

The new electronic crap is cool, but I'd rather have a very well built tank of a car that doesn't have a freaking computer screen between the seats. I was extremely disappointed when Lexus came out with their new automatic parallel parking car. I'm not concerned about Lexus, but you realize that now Mercedes has to compete with that. So instead of investing time and engineering into a quality vehicle, Mercedes has to invest time into making a car that can park for you, unless it wants to fall behind the competition. Well guess what. That auto parking is going to cost a lot, but most consumers wont want for a huge price jump. They'll continue to expect progress, but they don't necessarily want to pay more for it. So what will Mercedes do? Cut costs somewhere else to make up for the spendy device that will park your car.

I'm not sure if Mercedes will ever go back to what it once was. I think they now have the Maybach line for that, and frankly I don't know how well built even those are. The non Maybach Mercedes are now built for any middle class suburban ass wipe who wants to feel superior. I'd rather drive my slowly rust bubbling w126 with torn leather seats. I've spent thousands keeping this thing running. I'm not so sure I'd do the same for an '07 Benz.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,773 Posts
bgoin said:
Actually you can read this in a negative way. Mercedes-Benz of Germany is now so bad that the India made ones are better!
Being German, even I have to agree.
Perhaps the German Unions prohibit the firing of a worker for sub standart work?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
it's a shamw how much the computer dominates new cars..whats wrong with a good fashioned street directory?

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
what is missing from today's cars? the driver. the industry is doing everything to make new models better with little gizmos and bullshit to amuse you. step inside the flagship mercedes benz cars from a few decades ago and you, the driver, must control everything. you must interact with the car. in a sense, be the car. no new model can replace that. even if their build quality improved to yesterday's standards, it would still never be the same.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i personally think having so much gadgets destracts the driver...you spend your time fiddling with them before you get out of the drive way!

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
52 Posts
I think the turning point in Mercedes benz quality came when Toyota introduced 1989 Lexus LS400 for $39K or something. Mercedes panicked and made a series of poor decisions including the merger with Chrysler. Now, they are recognizing the mistakes and started the process by discussing the sale of Chrysler. There has been improvements in quality especially the 07 models but they are still a long way. Consumer reports usually are lagging indicators of car quality.

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,884 Posts
bgoin said:

Both G-Wagen and PUCH were product of joint venture of Merc and Puch (?Styer?)
G-Wagen not quite the same as PUCH
PUCH in Austria makes same chassis but differently featured and with same or different engines. Most common PUCH engine, i think, is that of 123/124 series 230 carbo.
PUCH is dominantly a military vehicle. Plenty of them in former Yugoslavia. It eats all other offroaders for breakfast in hilly Balkans.
PUCH version is like a stripped G-Wagen variant.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts