Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm the happy owner of a well maintained E280 from '95 (automatic), which I bought approximately 1 year ago w. 91K miles on the meter.

Sometime ago I started experiencing problems with the car ‘jumping’ like it goes on kangaroo gasoline. The problem has so far only occurred when I’ve been on the road for a while (30-45 min), and only when I’ve been driving in a city environment (lots of stopping, starting, turning etc).

I have got no better way of explaining what happens than the engine suddenly falls out and then the car starts to drive in a ‘jumping’ mode - which can be a bit of a pain when it happens in the central part of London!

The first time it happened the jumping lasted for approx 20 sec. after which it picked up speed again. (I should probably mention that when the jumping occurs the speed goes down to 5-10 km/h). Unfortunately it became progressively worse, and I therefore decided to take the car to service (not with an authorized Mercedes dealer but the garage is specialized in Mercedes and comes recommended). As far as I understood, the chap changed an air hose + some plugs in the engine (am not a techie), but otherwise couldn’t see any major problems with the engine.

Unfortunately he didn’t manage to solve the problem, which is why I am interested in hearing whether any of you have had a similar problem, or any idea of what might be causing the kangaroo jumping??

I hope to benefit from you insights - many thanks in advance!

TS

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
have you looked at the DIY section its insightful, but is the e280 the same as e320, sorry may be "Stupid Question" ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
woops it looks like I posted my query under the wrong segment (I guess an E280 from '95 actually belongs to the W124 line) - do apologies!!

That said, I guess I’ll have to check the DIY section for further info on my problem (… is the section actually called DIY or ??).

Once again thanks for input.

TS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts