Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Kajtek1.

A while back you mentioned the older slide part you extracted from a 124 (I think) regulator and put in your 210 when the regulator failed. Did it look like this?

If so we have a source for these things for $3 (plus shipping) and it looks like it has the metal reinforcement you mentioned the older ones having. It would be great if we can fix the regulators for that cheap! (Might even be worth doing as a preventative...)

Let us know and it will be a "DEAL" for the new sticky. :D

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,992 Posts
No this is not it. That is the slider that goes into window rail, while the breaking part is slider holding the cables. I posted a picture in original thread.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I must not understand what the part is you replaced, then. This is your pic:

and the plastic part that is prevalent in your shot looks very much like the obverse of the pic I posted in this thread. I see the metal clip on the bottom of the shot, I just thought the white squarish thing appearing to the top-left was the slider. Can you help clarify for me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
35,992 Posts
The breaking part is the slider in lower center of the picture. You are correct that the slider you pictured above is the slider in upper left corner, but 2-dimensional picture is not giving the full view.
Anyway, the cables in this particular slider go into the clip at the bottom of my picture and as a set go into the slider where you can see brown grease. The metal cover pivots closing everything together. From the dirt it might be hard to realize, but originally the slider in the center is white plastic as well.
If somebody makes the upper slider as a separate part, maybe they make the troublesome slider as well?
I am happy with tho one I pulled from old car on junkyard. Will go there again in about the week. Maybe if I get some extra old (meaning good) sliders, I can make a fortune on ebay?

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,464 Posts
I'm not so sure about the old one being stronger. The rear window lifter on my 1992 190E also broke after about 10 years/160,000 miles. And I think you said you got the replacements from a 190E?

·
Registered
35,992 Posts
It was 190 I took it from, but I didn't check the details. I believe it was older than 1990. There is difference between breaking one regulator in 10 years and like some members experienced 3 regulators in one year on 4-5 years old car.
So far I am happy with the oldie.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
4,977 Posts
zowie !! :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D

am i interpreting this correctly?? window reg failed part is usually this puppy,
and can be purchased a la carte.....instead of the whole regulator assembly ?

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts

·
Registered
35,992 Posts
I was buying some parts and added that slider to the order. With two W210 I think I have big chance to need it even if we don't use windows very often.
Couple more reflexion about my experience from replacing the slider only. Looks like my window was run several times after the slider broke and the cables were badly kinked. But high-quality cables stretched straight and work OK. Just to advise that dealing with it takes lot of patience and some handy hands.
Will keep you posted when the slider arrives.
Greg I double JOE's suggestion to add it to stickies. Maybe as a reply to the main post about regulators? You'll figure it out.
Sorry Master no blue available, but I keep on looking.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kajtek1 said:
You sir, are the MAN! :bowdown:

I'm adding it to the deals and when I update the DIY I'll put it in with the window regulator replacement.

Congrats on a great find, Kajtek1!

Now if you could just find that part for the older version with the metal reinforcements... :D

Greg

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Nice find - BTW, that part is $5.09 at Duval Motors, a dealer in Gainesville, FL that also does mail order.

Len

·
Registered
35,992 Posts
The shipment just arrived and I have the "green mysterious thing" on my table.
It come without manual, when having the metal cover already press on the mushroomed pin, I see no way to insert cable ends in it. Also the gap in the slot is about 0.5 mm - not big enough for 1 mm cable. I called Autohaus for advice and CS promised a call back from the technician.
In another words it might not be as simple as it sounds. Stay tuned.

Edit. I got feed back from Autohaus. They claim to sell thousands of them, but have absolutely no knowledge how to install them. Would that make you wonder?
So the only way I can figure out how to make it working is to drill out the pin, hopefully insert the cable ends with springs in the slider and than worry how to reuse drilled pin, or find another one.
I still have more concerns, that can't answer till I try to use it, what hopefully will not happen soon. The green slider has the pivoting piece mounted centrally, what makes it working for right and left window. The sliders I had pulled from the junk yard had the pivot off center and left was mirror view of the right one, meaning they will not close the other side completly (like I experienced playing with my repair the hard way).

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
Kajtek1 said:
The shipment just arrived and I have the "green mysterious thing" on my table.
It come without manual, when having the metal cover already press on the mushroomed pin, I see no way to insert cable ends in it. Also the gap in the slot is about 0.5 mm - not big enough for 1 mm cable. I called Autohaus for advice and CS promised a call back from the technician.
In another words it might not be as simple as it sounds. Stay tuned.

Edit. I got feed back from Autohaus. They claim to sell thousands of them, but have absolutely no knowledge how to install them. Would that make you wonder?
So the only way I can figure out how to make it working is to drill out the pin, hopefully insert the cable ends with springs in the slider and than worry how to reuse drilled pin, or find another one.
I still have more concerns, that can't answer till I try to use it, what hopefully will not happen soon. The green slider has the pivoting piece mounted centrally, what makes it working for right and left window. The sliders I had pulled from the junk yard had the pivot off center and left was mirror view of the right one, meaning they will not close the other side completly (like I experienced playing with my repair the hard way).
I just tried this job last night with that repair part. I ran in to two problems:

1 - the only way I could figure out to put the cables in was to remove the springs from the old cable, bend up the two metal fingers on the green thing, clip it onto the track, then bend the metal fingers down to hold the cable ends. I also had to re-thread the cable around the whole regulator, as it was wrapped up and bound on the central wheel. It was a huge headache, but after a few slides back and forth everything ran smooth.

2 - this one is big! The old slider had the window block (white thing) off-center about 20mm above the center of the slider. The new one has it even. Everything fits, but with it all in place the window can't actually close! It gets within a few mm of closed and then runs out of track. I suspect that the rubber bumper could be removed from the end of the track to give this enough room to work, but probably not enough room to close tightly and not whistle. Bummer! I'm off to order the track because I can't spend the time and effort to hack together a solution to this one.

Did I do something wrong? I bought a second repair part in case I messed up the first, so if anyone has a hint from having done this before, that would be fantastic. Thanks.

·
Registered
35,992 Posts
That different offset was my concern as well. As I posted it on this forum I learned the hard way, that OEM sliders are having right and left design. I was hoping that this symmetric design would work, but you confirmed my bad feeling.
This way I personally would cancer my recommendation for green slider.
I keep on grinding on the Autohause Arizona statement, that they sell hundreds if not thousands of them.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kajtek1 said:
That different offset was my concern as well. As I posted it on this forum I learned the hard way, that OEM sliders are having right and left design. I was hoping that this symmetric design would work, but you confirmed my bad feeling.
This way I personally would cancer my recommendation for green slider.
I keep on grinding on the Autohause Arizona statement, that they sell hundreds if not thousands of them.
Hmmm...at first I thought the "cancer" reference was a typo, now I realize it was a sly editorial comment. :)

That said, the Autohausas statement is probably dead-on: they've sold them, but can't speak to the aftermath. After all, McDonald's has sold billions of hamburgers, but do they reveal how many were actually eaten? And more to the point, how many were actually kept down and digested? :D

It's sad that we can't fix these with a new part that would fit both sides cheaply. Man, I was so excited when you found that part, and when it was assymetrical I thought even better, you only need one. As Richard Marx said, "Shoulda' known better..."

Greg

1 - 20 of 121 Posts