Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, my first post and my first 2001 slk 320. Got the car and after 50miles, check engine light came on. Finally had the time to hookup and read the codes.
P0410, p0170, p0173, p0410, p0130, p0150, p0155 and p0135.
Found the issue to be in the k40 relay. soldered a few connections and all the codes went away. Such small cracks in the solder I could barely see it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What all running faults if any did it exhibit? Our '98 SLK230 auto suddenly started missing at anything above high idle but no fault codes initially. It had been running faultlessly for the last 130K with only oil changes, brakes, front suspension, shocks and lots of tires. As it now has over 280K on it and the MAF, plugs, coils and wires had not been replaced in 130K I did so with all new OEM parts. Made absolutely no difference. At least I have some known good spares for possible troubleshooting in the future as we also have a '99 manual SLK230 with only 130K on it....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't run bad,but youcould smell the exhaust running rich. Ive only had the car for a short time so I'm not 100% if it had other signs. Car has 193k miles on it. I've only put on about 100 miles. That relay is easy to pull and inspect. It wouldn't hurt to inspect it just in case. I had to pull the relay under the dash too to repair my electric seats that's werent working. It also had damaged solder connections.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the response! Turns out I had another K40 with a June 2013 build date I removed from a wrecked '99 SLK in stock as it was only $20 when I was last scrounging at the local yard. Plugged it in and all my problems went away. Should be good for another 280K ya think? I will take the original apart and re-solder the connections and put it back in stock for the next time. It has been several days and the wife reports perfect operation as it should with all the other new OEM stuff in place.....

·
Registered
All RHD: 1982 280GE LWB (UK), 2001 SLK230 (JDM), 2014 B250-AMG (JDM), 2006 B170 (JDM)
61 Posts
Thanks to this and other postings when my 2001 SLK230 started, died 2-seconds later and would not crank (but all other key actions were normal), it pointed to the K40 relay. Having already replaced a defective computer, the various forum postings suggests this is a weak point. The symptom was simple, turn the key all the way and the starter acted like it was on holiday in Fiji. Not there, not interested, nothing, nada.

Bought a new one from Pelican. US$185 plus $47 international shipping to NZ. 8 days later, plugged it in and the car started normally. Unlike Raclash, I could see no soldering cracks, but three of the winding coppers were discoloured as were some of the pins. When the package arrived, I plugged it in and it started normally. The K40 was bad. In my case it looks like overheating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts