Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 560sec-168K -Ext. Light Ivory/Int. Black/01 E320 4Matic Wagon Brl Silver/Black/ Mad '95 Q45
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone running a K&N ?? good or bad? i run a cai in my infiniti and like it. i have seen a few years back a carbon fiber air intake system for the 126 are they around ??

·
Registered
86 560sec-168K -Ext. Light Ivory/Int. Black/01 E320 4Matic Wagon Brl Silver/Black/ Mad '95 Q45
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did a search for cai - k&n - open air filter etccc nothing came up

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,609 Posts
Try searching 'oil filter', there are several posts which talk about them, you will just have to read through them.

There is a locked thread a few down from the top that discusses them.

Cheers

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,296 Posts
Won't gain you any power on an otherwise stock car and either way it'll make your internals dirty while increasing flow by a very very very small amount.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
Jonathan claimed a 2HP gain with K&N

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Not worth the potential damage to MAF and other internals with the increased airflow, and decrease in filtration. Stay with the stock air filter.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
Filtration wouldn't really be an issue if you don't live in a very dusty area. The K&N filters quite well if properly oiled. for very dusty or sandy areas though, I wouldn't reccomend it.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,296 Posts
DarkOneSK said:
Jonathan claimed a 2HP gain with K&N
I would think that would apply to his cars...all of which that I've seen have freed up exhausts. You can't get more in if you don't get more out, but once you free up the exhaust it's possible that the stock element is a restriction.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
to beat a dead horse, a K&N won't do much if it's a 'drop-in' replacement. if your looking for more power, then look to custom fabricating a new airbox. when doing so, consider the following:

air temperature
source location
volume
velocity
heat soak
turbulance

don't even bother with any of it unless your very knowledgable about these aspects. until then, just wait until i have the money to finish my induction system and make a few extras for other members. i promise quality, longevity, and performance gains. i already have it on paper, but turning that into a physical object takes money. lots of money passes through my hands, but it's all to other people's benefit.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NüR-SPEC said:
to beat a dead horse, a K&N won't do much if it's a 'drop-in' replacement. if your looking for more power, then look to custom fabricating a new airbox. when doing so, consider the following:

air temperature
source location
volume
velocity
heat soak
turbulance

don't even bother with any of it unless your very knowledgable about these aspects. until then, just wait until i have the money to finish my induction system and make a few extras for other members. i promise quality, longevity, and performance gains. i already have it on paper, but turning that into a physical object takes money. lots of money passes through my hands, but it's all to other people's benefit.
the guy i usd to know that made the mad carbon fiber ones was Scott Baumel from Quickchips - if u could find his they were pretty sick .

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
i've got gobs of fiba' at my disposal... but i refuse to manufacture anything that i can't heat treat during the vacuum resin setting. not to mention, molds are a hassle, especially making carbon tubing or anything round to begin with. the slightest dimple and it's garbage to me. what i've been doing is searching JYs for a viable mold candidate airbox. one large enough to support a V8 and simple enough to fit behind the passanger side headlight. then i simply enlarge the induction opening and mold in a long velocity stack to maximize cfm and draw ambient air. and when you want a filter for it, you simply buy one for the model of car the airbox was replicated from. anyone who has an objection to that is a nüb!!!

·
Registered
'90 300 CE, '91 560 SEC, (R.I.P.) '82 300SD (sold)
1,234 Posts
Speaking of airbox and source location, my first car was a 1966 Olds 442 with the factory "ram air" option. Basically it was a big airbox with two big hoses that looked almost like dryer vent hose going to the left and right sides of the radiator behind the grill. Sort of the same set up like the 560 SEC/SEL. The only difference is that the MB hoses aren't as big and sit at a right angle to the radiator, not pointed directly forward. The Olds RA option also included a hotter cam.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
yeah, the facotry sourcing is great. the only problem is the small opening next to the radiator and the small sharp edges inside the airbox where the air passes into the metering plate. as for sourcing the air, i'm planning to convert to an electric fan, so it won't be on all the time. this means that the factory airsource will only have fresh frontal ambient air when the electric fans are on. when they shut off, the engine is drawing in hot convection from the radiator. that's why i'm sourcing air from the fenderwell right below the passanger side headlight. constant cool ambient air with nothing to worry about. but ideally, i'd like an airbox sitting in the engine compartment behind that headlight with a velocity stack going straight down through the fenderwell in the same location. reason being that standard cone style filters aren't all that great unless they have internal velocity stacks. having a big air box allows you to have reserve air which will maintain good low to midrange power. not to mention the more efficient flat panel filter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts