Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 300D (D for Don)
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the K&N's are pure bling and I'm not after performance.....
I'd really like to get rid of the stock air filter assembly to make room for my greasecar veg filter assembly. If I put a K&N cone filter directly onto the front of my turbo and route the breather hoses into it (or into a charcoal canister) will it have any negative effects?

Thank you!

·
Registered
83 300D-T
72 Posts
Not sure about it on the 300....let me know how it works.
I did that to my Jeep Cherokee...I freed up lots of space, engine sounded much better, and got about 2 mpg increase!

I know lots of people who see some performance increase from them, especially when you consider more direct airflow. Keep that in mind when you put in your tube for connecting the filter...aim it toward the front bumper.

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
There are many who believe that putting such a filter on will allow more particulates into your engine. I'm not sure how the charcoal canister would work with that all. I think the goal is to allow the car the breathe as freely as it can. Perhaps that 2+ mpg is not worth harming the engine? Your car is also sucking in warm air from the engine compartment. A friend of mine got around this problem by extending the cone below the engine compartment. Now whenever it rains he gets worried!

·
Registered
83 300D-T
72 Posts
On the Jeep, my cone was on a 30" tube which pulled in cold air from just behind the headlight. My throttle body was much cleaner after I installed the K&N cone.
Be careful about where you put it...water is much more a concern on a diesel.

I don't think the charcoal canister would do much for your intake.
If your goal is to free up some space...I'd do it. Actually I am looking into doing a VO conversion later on...and the K&N air filter is definitely on that mental list.
Freeing up some space/creative routing is key with all of the kits/conversions.
The big problem I see with a lot of the pics is access to oil filter and the A/C compressor post conversion.

·
Registered
85 300D (D for Don)
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!! If I do it I'll get a piece of tubing to go from the turbo to behind the headlights. Welding/fabrication is a hobby of mine so I can make a splash guard to keep the water out.

The charcoal canister is not for an air filter but is inteneded to vent the vapors from the crank & head. That is to say, I'd have the crank & head vents go to the charcoal canister instead of the air-filter because it may be difficult to get the breather hoses into the K&N.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL, 1984 300DT
45 Posts
bucko, I have used AMSOIL air filters exclusively for ten years. I think the part number is S1118 (they may have changed it recently) for the 123. At one point the filter went bad, called AMSOIL and they sent TWO replacement filters FREE! These filters require a special oil and need to be washed out every six months or so. I just use warm water and dish washing soap, works great, then rinse well and let dry. They will trap more dirt and particulates than K&N will ever hope for. PLUS they allow better air flow which is what power is all about. I also run an amsoil bypass oil filter on one of my 123's, this was a totally custom installation. email me at [email protected] for more information.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
HuskyMan said:
PLUS they allow better air flow which is what power is all about.
These turbocharged diesels of ours already take in more air than they need with the stock setup with regular air filters. Filtering media that allows "better" air flow will NOT make the car "perform" any better.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
donniej said:
I know the K&N's are pure bling and I'm not after performance.....
I'd really like to get rid of the stock air filter assembly to make room for my greasecar veg filter assembly. If I put a K&N cone filter directly onto the front of my turbo and route the breather hoses into it (or into a charcoal canister) will it have any negative effects?

Thank you!
In order to retain the good filtering ability the OEM setup already has, have you thought about going to the CA setup? In the CA setup, the air filter canister is located behind the passenger's side headlight.

·
Registered
85 300D (D for Don)
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! I found enough space to mount all the greasecar stuff on the drivers side so I'm going to leave the air filter alone.
I put everything ont he drives side fender. The filter is up front behind the headlights (but back a little), one solenoid on the fender itself and I hung the second from a custom bracket that mounts to the top of the strut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts