Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a K&N filter replacement. i was impressed by the quality and the demonstration i found at performance products showroom. when i took off the old paper filter and replaced it with the new, you can really tell the engine is getting alot more air. i feel a slightincrease in acceleration and more fluid power on the highway. great product in my opinion.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Some are saying bad things about K&N..
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=114456&page=1&pp=15

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
i'm really thinkin bout gettin one how much did u pay for yours??? if i get it one i'll have to buy the whole kit and it might add up as in money wise but if its worth it i'll def get one

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I'm not a big fan of K&N or any other type of oiled filer any longer. I had them fitted in all of my cars but sadly over oiling (service) the K&N in my SL nearly killed my engine, as the oil was sucked into the intake and started making the valves sticky and cause problems with combustion/ power.

If you take good care of a K&N and do not over oil it (very easy to do) you should see about a 1BHP increase in your cars output.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
damn it teddy, shoulda talked to me first...i'm trying to get rid of mine, i woulda given you mine for a trade of a new oem.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I wanted a K&N, but it got so many poor reviews from 126 owners that I just assumed they were no good. On my muscle cars, I always used Fram filters.

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
So overall the K&N isnt that great what about that new well not so new anymore that filter by fram called Air Hog or w/e its called i wonder if its good suppose to be good......

comments?

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
Meh, the Frams are crap. They cost $20 (for my m103), after two replacements, the K&N will pay for itself. Right now I have a Wix filter, it's okay. I'm gonna buy a K&N friday. I've worked with them before, and 99% of the people that complain about them over-oiled them.

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
i've never gotten one but i really want one its there a special way to oil them????

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
also does neone know when your suppose to clean them like after how many miles???

·
Registered
1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
244 Posts
K&N filters are excellent (but I've got a kick for dry paper myself), however don't go forgetting about the complimentary rule of engine setups. Aftermarket kit and accessory manufacturers just assume that because you're already prepared to void every warranty and half the insurance your engine already had, you must know very well what you're doing or have hired professionals to do it for you. Sorry, plain truth.

Wire type MAP sensors anywhere near the throttle body or air cleaner should be replaced by a tapped, aftermarket MAP sensor in the manifold itself. Not for K&N or any oil type filter but for longevity and improvement of the unit itself. Plenty of these are available as car manufacturers offer a variety of MAP sensor types, some more restrictive and fragile than others, so a low restriction, aftermarket fitment is an early rule of injection-engine mods anyway. Hunt around Jap mod circuits if you can't find one in your own circles.

As for K&N filters themselves, several engine builders swear by them but any ram-pod style filter like Samota or such are fantastic. You can get 'em paper, mesh, foam, whatever you want, with or without oil filling. Some of these are geared for 1,000hp turbo race motors, please don't try to tell me stock is better.
I do know that K&N offer one of the best cold air box filter pads available. But again, no need to go for oil impregnated if you just want foam or low restriction paper. Generally speaking, stick with the reputable brands (and yes, that includes K&N), follow the manufacturer's guidelines to the letter and you can't go wrong.

Hell I don't know why most early Merc owners don't source/modify good ol' anodized Holley style paper filters to their centrally mounted throttle bodies in a mild modding. They look great, flow around 800cfm, or about double the stock filter setup and are just plain no fuss, hose clamp the thing on, tear your cold-start piping out by its roots and off you go. Get a new 3" paper filter every 10,000km or after a long trip behind a *cough* diesel (about $20 I don't think it's going to break anybody's bank balance).

But if you're not sure about everything under your hood, and you really ought to be before touching a spanner to any part of it, pay someone who is and listen to their recommendations. Or buy a newer model, it's your world after all.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
For me the K&N simple wasn't worth the cleaning and maintenance involved. Everytime i even suspect the OEM filter is dirty i just swap one out, they are so cheap, and fit so well. With the K&N, it's a bit stiff, so you've got to wiggle it around to get it to fit right...and it leaves you wondering if dust is getting sucked by it. Or the oil is getting sucked into your engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts