Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML320, 2017 C300, 2009 Smart Car Brabus
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with my mechanic the other and he gave me some confusing news. The other day I bought two K&N air filters for my 2000 E55. I dropped off my car to my mechanic to have a gasket resealed. I asked how to open to the open the area where the filters are stored. I explained that I got a good deal on the filter and he explained that he would NOT recommend using such filters. He explained that many of these after market filters give no increased performance, only corrupted air-mass-senor. Now, many people that experts in the high-performance field would disagree. My mechanic is a hardcore OEM. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree that KN filters have some oil in them and this oil may get on the MAF and cause fault code. On the other some 55 owners have em and think they help.

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
577 Posts
The oil on the MAF sensor issue is valid. However, this typically occurs when one goes to clean and then re oil the K&N filters. The obvious problem being reapplying too much oil. Nonetheless, in either scenario, the fix is as simple as spraying the MAF sensor wire(s) with a small dose of quick dry electrical spray. In terms of performance gains; greater gains are found by applying larger air intakes in conjunction with a greater exhaust output. Otherwise, you are looking at just a couple of ponies. Frankly, since you already purchased the parts, I would use the K&Ns for the prescribed 50 K (maybe less), and then toss them. Thereafter, return to OEM.

·
Registered
1995 500SL
141 Posts
I have seen reports that the K&N filters allow more air (and possibly a few more hp) into the engine but also more dust and dirt. I own a 129 and avoid this brand. I am sure there are many who love them. Obvioulsy use the filter you purchased but change it as recommended.

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
104 Posts
I don't believe you get any more HP. I am about to install a set only because I hear they make engine more throatier sounding. I may run for 30k miles and toss them - I don't plan on oiling them at all.

·
Registered
'00 E55, '88 BMW 535I
59 Posts
I've had the K&N on my previous car ('00 eclipse GT) for over 100k miles. Never had a problem. I think they are a good option as long as they are prepared properly. Be careful to clean proplerly and oil properly (ie. do not over oil). If this is followed there should be no issues. I just installed the K&N's on my '00 E55 today. Not a noticible difference beyone the psycological for me. To me it feels like she drives quicker even when I just give her a bath.

·
Registered
99 E55
297 Posts
I noticed no gain with K&N filters. I barely noticed gains with upgraded software and Evo pulley's.
If you want your car to sound throatier, then remove the resenator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts