Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
ML350 2007
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the K&N air filter a better replacement than the oem MANN type?
Apparently you get better performance and it can be easily cleaned with their fluid/oil kit.

2007 ML350. Feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
ML350 2007
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks p011512, I will go with the original.

Do you know how often I should change the air filters under normal city driving conditions? Is it at every service?

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
Thanks p011512, I will go with the original.

Do you know how often I should change the air filters under normal city driving conditions? Is it at every service?
Hang on a sec!.........Do more research,lots of people have lots of opinions.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
one more thing that i know.
i bought oem mann filters on e.b.a.y. c.o.m

paid about 110 plus shipping.
2sets of air filters(total 4 filters) and 2oil filters.

but becareful!! dont buy paper material ones.. those need to be changed every 5000mi.

i used to have bimmer x5 and put k&n filter. check engine light came on.
paid 120$ for scan..

oem part.. i would go.. for german cars.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
I can only go off my experience......No CEL with K+N or oiled foam ....I've read numerous posts and it's 50/50 what people say about check light....It would seem most problems are caused by people over-oiling....However I'm not recommending or discouraging which is why I suggested that the OP do his own research and read the many posts on the subject.:)

·
Registered
ML350 2007
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read quite a few posts and there are some nasty experiences with these filters.

My MB manual recommends air filter replacement every 80,000 km or 4 years.

At this change interval, I don't think I will take a chance with a K&N filter which can release oil and clog the sensitive components.

Thanks for all your responses!

·
Registered
W123 wagon, E30 325iS, Suzuki SV650S
83 Posts
I can assure you guys that a K&N filter will not damage any component in your engine and we have the independent and internal test data to prove it. Also, we don't design air filters that cause check engine lights. It's typically another issue that happened to occur right when people installed a K&N air filter. However if you do experience a check engine light after installing a K&N air filter, please call our customer service department at 1-800-858-3333 and our warranty department will be more than happy to help you.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
K&N equals no noticable increased performance, less air filtration, possible check engine lights from over oiling, more grief and no benefits!!

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Sosh - prove it.

And watch these brief videos. Won't take more than 10 minutes of your time.

Intro & Test Results Summary
Can Oil Come off Our Filters?
What Does it Take to Foul a MAF Sensor?
What Can Contaminate a MAF Sensor?

And read our air filter testing procedures here and here which are the industry standard against which all air filters are tested, including OE paper filters.
No proof, I do not have engineers or techs on my payroll. As far as what you are putting out any stats can be twisted to suit any purpose and what you say is all self serving. Ever hear a fruit vendor cry rotten fruit?? I can only report what I have actually seen in the field with my own eyes and what I have heard from people that have actually been sucked in by your advertising.

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
No proof, I do not have engineers or techs on my payroll. As far as what you are putting out any stats can be twisted to suit any purpose and what you say is all self serving. Ever hear a fruit vendor cry rotten fruit?? I can only report what I have actually seen in the field with my own eyes and what I have heard from people that have actually been sucked in by your advertising.
Ah, sosh. "Sucked in by your advertising"? That's kind of aggressive as a criticism of a company that has been around a long time. While I personally see no point in replacing a perfectly good paper filter with an expensive oilable one, there are times when that may be a good idea. For example, when I had a supercharger fitted to my X5, there wasn't room any more for the OEM airbox and filter, so we used a K&N conical filter. It was on the vehicle for seven years with no problems at all -- cleaning and oiling it once a year took maybe 15 minutes. So perhaps there is a place for K&N in our world. Anyway, I don't see any point in insulting one of their representatives.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i agree that a representative can't be trusted to have an objective opinion. that's nothing personal to the poster in this thread, just a general thought. it's just an inherent conflict of interest.

that said, there are plenty of independent tests out there on numerous forums, where end users like us take their cars to the dyno and do runs with stock filters vs various aftermarket filters. that k&n filters actually do give a few ponies gain is true and verified. i can't say anything about the filtration aspects, but they're not a scam like those vortex cones or intake fans or other garbage

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the support roadrutz.

ninjajim4 I completely understand the skepticism but I can assure you with K&N, it's unfounded. I'll be the first to say publically that my personal integrity is far more important to me than my job, and I wouldn't be working for K&N if it were a shady company.

We have nothing to hide and we don't "cook the books" just to boost our sales. We stand behind our product 100% and if you'd like to read a little bit about how much we back our product, you can read about our Million Mile Warranty, Consumer Protection Pledge, and Engine Protection Limited Warranty on the warranty page of our website. You can also read independent and unbiased feedback from our consumers on the Testimonials page of our website.

Yes, other people have done tests on filtration and airflow but I have yet to see anyone of these independent testers do any testing that is ISO5011 compliant or any testing that controls every single variable like the ISO5011 protocol does, which provides a baseline for comparisions between filters and real comparable data. That is the industry standard for air filter testing protocol and the standard we use at our certified in-house facility and at the out-of-house world-reknown testing facility we send our filters to.

K&N is the only air filter used in Formula 1 and we make filters and intake systems for at least 8 OE manufacturers. Would Formula 1 and that many OE manufacturers trust their engines and customers to a filter that destroys engines and doesn't filter the air properly? I think not...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts