Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the Autozone website looking at parts for my 300SDL and I was curious to know if there were any good reasons to purchase the more expensive Air Filter? Like, improved mileage, HP anything?

And related to another post I made, pictures are coming soon, I haven't picked the car up yet.

Chris

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've heard the K&N improves airflow at the expense of admitting alot of grit. I like to stay with OEM parts, and either a MB or Mann filter are advisable. Autohausaz.com and thepartsbin.com are good resources for these comsumables.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I've had K&N filters in a few vehicles, now, two of them acquired over 200K miles before I sold 'em. I don't buy they let more particulate material enter the engine. If they do, they didn't allow enough on mine to have a noticable effect on compression, oil consumption, power, emissions...at least not before I got tired of looking at/driving them.

Oil bath filters are better at trapping airborne dirt as the dirt has something to 'stick' to. Mind you, if you don't keep it properly oiled or clean it as you should, engine death is sure to occur.

Next time around, my wife's RX300 is going to get a K&N as the paper filter is $19...a K&N is $40. Same with my 420...it'll get a K&N next time it needs a filter.

I used to have a yard mowing business, as a kid, and I had filters which were oil bath foam filter over a paper filter core. If you cleaned the oil bath ones every couple of days, the paper filters would stay bright white, indefinitely (which was good, 'cause they were expensive). Can't get a much dustier environment than a lawnmower's with your automobile, unless you're running Paris/Dakar, and are 40 feet behind someone.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Can't get a much dustier environment than a lawnmower's with your automobile, unless you're running Paris/Dakar, and are 40 feet behind someone.
LOL, at least it will run in South America next year.
I understand the K&N's last longer, with routine cleaning and oiling, however, you not gain any mileage or performance.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have a K&N in my 500SEC and 2 in my E500. I can tell that they have improved throttle respose especially in the E500 also in mid range RPMs in the SEC. I would spend the money now because in the long run it is much cheaper.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
LOL, at least it will run in South America next year.
I understand the K&N's last longer, with routine cleaning and oiling, however, you not gain any mileage or performance.
Oh really?

Look at the bottom of this page and the K & N ad down there!!!!!!

K & N claims 5 free hp!!!!

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I see @ least a couple of HP on the dyno w/ a K&N on 560's.

Agreed, a large portion of the equation is proper routine care and maintenance w/ these filters.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Yeah I have on e in the 380, but I am reluctant to put one in the new 500 engine becuse i don't want any unnessesary wear.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The reasoning for me was cost.

Paper filter good for maybe 20K miles...maybe = $20
K & N, good indefinitely, if you keep it maintained = $40

Pretty simple math if you're gonna keep the machine a long time. I've yet to convince my wife her RX300 is her last car...she thinks I'm kidding. That sucker's gonna have 400K on it before I even consider replacing it. I figure the 420's good for at least 350K, so it's not even middle-aged, yet.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Ditto. K&N on both Benzos.

I noticed the throttle response and acceleration difference once I installed the filter on the 300SE. I'm not too sure you will have much of a difference on your diesel. I have also owned a 300TD, which used stock paper filters.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is a K&N air filter better?
Like all answers, it depends.

All air filters restrict flow. How much restriction depends on the quantity of air flowing through the filter. For the average driver, even at interstate speeds, the restriction is very small. (At 65mph, a 200HP engine in a modern Merc is putting out less than 10 HP.) This means the air flow is very low and the restriction of air to the engine is very low also.

How does this translate to increased HP by using a K&N filter? Practically none. But if you are trying for a 1/4 mile speed record in your "Merc Baby" the K&N definitely will give you that extra 5HP and shave a 1/10 second off your ET.

As far life, the posts are correct; the design makes an excellent filter and with regular service it lasts a lifetime.

Summary: for the average user it is not worth the extra cost. For the affectionado who enjoys tinkering, it is a "must have."

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I find the air box to be the major limiting factor in these cars, but I do run K&N in everything I own..

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I find the air box to be the major limiting factor in these cars, but I do run K&N in everything I own..

Jonathan
Wow, I'm surprised... I had a K&N in one car, and took it our after reading in this forum that the K&N Filter let more dirt into to system... thought you might be of that same mindset, Jonathan...

Anyway, how do you maintain your K&N filters?

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Well, personally I don't buy it... A properly oiled K&N should have no trouble catching just as much dirt as a paper filter. I've been running the same style filters in my dirt bikes all my life and they have been fine..

I clean my K&N's ever 4-6K...the BIG thing is not to over oil them which is easy to do. Once clean/dry I'll run a light bead along each pleat, allow it to migrate overnight then fill in any 'holes'.

I also run a bead of lithium grease along the top and bottom sealing surfaces to give an even Better seal.

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Having owed a few Ford Powerstroke diesels and still currently owning an auto parts store, I used to play with the K&N vs. Wix filter thing. I found that the clean Wix breathes better than the clean K&N, but a dirty K&N breathes better than the a dirty Wix. So, if the car doesn't get driven often, it gets paper filters; if driven often, it gets K&Ns.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Having read everyone's post on the K&N filters, I have come to the conclusion that they are just one more thing that needs maintenance. For me, I gladly buy a new OE paper filter at the proper interval and throw the old away. Done. No washing. No overnight oiling.

Perhaps, too, I equate the K&N filter with the redneck in the rusted out Camaro with a tired, bored out small block. Just hoping that this filter will make it run better.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I came to my conclusion after numerous runs on the dyno....given the normal variation from run to run we never lost power swapping in a K&N.

Jonathan

·
Registered
227 Posts
there was a filter test posted online a few years ago and it tested about 10 different brands, they were tested for various airflows as well as various particulate sizes. The K & N let the most dirt pass by far. The least was an AC delco if I remember correctly. The site I had bookmarked is no longer there but maybe someone else has seen it.

EDIT: I found a site that has it ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

1 - 20 of 20 Posts