Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E320 w210 1995 Cadilliac Eldorado w/Northstar 1991 Fleetwood Brougham
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about replacing an OEM air filter with a K&N.
What are the pros and cons. Will there be problems with codes etc..
As always..thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I drive with K and N for the last 3 years in an eclass.No problems.
That being said absolutely no senseable difference from original.
Nobogie

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,710 Posts
It is hard to notice on Mercedes, but on Ford Truck Forum owners advice potential buyers of used truck to open the intake and check the turbo and intercooler pipes. Dust and fine sand indicate the truck was running with K&N filter before. Run away from such.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is hard to notice on Mercedes, but on Ford Truck Forum owners advice potential buyers of used truck to open the intake and check the turbo and intercooler pipes. Dust and fine sand indicate the truck was running with K&N filter before. Run away from such.
What is hard to notice? Is K&N a good replacement or not.? Sorry but I dont understand this post.

·
Registered
85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
1,073 Posts
While I don't have one on my car it's not because I don't want one.

I've been using K&N filters for over 20 years. They have always been the best. Most every vehicle I've ever owned has had a K&N Filtercharger on it. Buy one! They will last FOREVER!

I plan on making a cold air intake system on my car using the battery box as the air box. Moving the battery to the trunk, of course.

Edit: step5pro, North FL? I lived in PCB for 6 years.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Just say no.

Also use the search button. This issue has been cussed and discussed ad nauseum. No reason to revisit a dead horse.

You will notice no improvements whatsoever, and may be detrimental...this coming from a former user of K&N. (Heck, I'll see you mine.)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I don't have one on my car it's not because I don't want one.

I've been using K&N filters for over 20 years. They have always been the best. Most every vehicle I've ever owned has had a K&N Filtercharger on it. Buy one! They will last FOREVER!

I plan on making a cold air intake system on my car using the battery box as the air box. Moving the battery to the trunk, of course.

Edit: step5pro, North FL? I lived in PCB for 6 years.
I lived in S.A Tx for 4 yrs.

·
Registered
'02 E320 4matic Wagon
326 Posts
I would not use in a vehicle with a mass airflow sensor (like MB). I know that K&N site says it is safe, seems like too much potential to get the MAF gummed up.

·
Registered
36,710 Posts
What is hard to notice? Is K&N a good replacement or not.? Sorry but I dont understand this post.
Hard to notice dust and sand inside MB intake. On truck the pipes are 3" diameter, so you can take a good look what is inside.
Also trucks are driven in dusty areas more than Mercedes.
On my truck I do have Ford's severe duty air filter. 40,000 miles on the element and it barely moves the vacuum indicator. Truck has 240,000 miles and drives like a champ.

·
Registered
2001 Benz E320 w210 79k miles . Picked up 6/16/08
165 Posts
And while you replace the K & N filter change the blinker fluid too..

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Well all you naysayers, I think it is a perfect fit. Just what we need to help boost the economy of N Florida which is really in the pits.

Anyways just think of will happen once the gentleman purchases the filter. The cracker installer will no doubt rip out the old filter housing and in the process screw up all the ground wires that are or were located under the filter housing. Then we will hear all the wining on how to help fix all the electrical issues. That adds value. More questions.

Then in six months we will hear more wining. My check engine light just came on while the wife was going to the spa or my Ex wife just stole my car and called to advise that the "CEL" just came on------What do I do??

Then some very intelligent west coast poster, just waking up, with his lap top next to the shower will say-----check the codes!!!. Two or three days later we see P0100 MAF sensor posted.

Then the next economic benefit comes from all the "ski" folks bashing the Chinese, Indian, Romanian, Korean, Bosnian, German, Polish makers of MAF's and trying to save a few bucks for the poster who no doubt CGAS about all the dialog---he just wants to replace his MAF AGAIN and add more value to the N Florida economy.

Boy I wish my diesel had two MAF's or maybe there is a pre filter system available. !!

·
Registered
36,710 Posts
Forgot to add that the K&N filter will shorten the engine life, meaning the car will get scrapped instead of spending few more years on the road.
Think about all the jobs created in towing industry, scrap yards and automotive diagnosis. :D

·
Registered
85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
1,073 Posts
Forgot to add that the K&N filter will shorten the engine life, meaning the car will get scrapped instead of spending few more years on the road.
Think about all the jobs created in towing industry, scrap yards and automotive diagnosis. :D
No it wont. Don't lie to people! A better quality air filter will not shorten the life of an engine! If you believe that then you don't know jack *hit about cars or engines.

A K&N will help your engine breathe better and it's cleanable and reusable. So you can use the filter forever. They have a million mile warranty.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,106 Posts
No it wont. Don't lie to people! A better quality air filter will not shorten the life of an engine! If you believe that then you don't know jack *hit about cars or engines.

A K&N will help your engine breathe better and it's cleanable and reusable. So you can use the filter forever. They have a million mile warranty.
automobile intake requires a balancing act between air flow, air filtration, and
engine life. race cars may eschew filtration in favor of air flow and perfor-
mance....and will sacrifice engine life. they'll just rebuild and replace anyway.

you cannot honestly claim that a filter designed for air flow, will protect your
engine better than a filter designed to filter out smaller particulates. to do
so would be disingenuous.

K&N filters v MB filters are designed under competing demands. one touts
filter longevity and the other, engine longevity.

as for million mile warranty, who the heck will ever be in a position to
challenge this? even so, it would be easier to pay off the claimant by
giving them a new K&N...even a case of them.

warranties are designed to offset potential claims. this is a financial
and calculated marketing decision, not a scientific claim.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts

I used to believe that it was a "better filter" as well. Perhaps it's a different story with the cone filters, but for the drop-in replacements, have a read.

And keep an open mind, that will help:

K&N air filter or OEM, why OEM is better

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While some posts were helpful, some were rants that just flew over my head. I guess its the owners choice to have filtration or airflow. I will continue to use OEM air filter in my MB but will use the K&N along with frequent oil changes in my 09 Ford Focus. I found this link while researching air filters. Some may find it interesting.

Air Filtration Test

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
While some posts were helpful, some were rants that just flew over my head. I guess its the owners choice to have filtration or airflow. I will continue to use OEM air filter in my MB but will use the K&N along with frequent oil changes in my 09 Ford Focus. I found this link while researching air filters. Some may find it interesting.

Air Filtration Test
Did you even bother reading the article/test I linked? Airflow is actually reduced more quickly with the drop-in style K&N than with the OEM filter. Maybe if you clean it once a week you'd get a benefit, though. ;)

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
It's very hard to be fair in this discussion, especially since the OE Mann filter is "good", and the benefits of the K&N are at best negligible being gracious for those that have already bought one.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts