Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when buying the slk did you consider other car as well?
did any one consider the boxster s?
why choose the slk over the group of cars you consider?

thanks

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
lawgee - 5/3/2005 7:56 PM

thanks
I bought a R171 350 cos I'd just bought (Aug 2003) a R170 230SLK. I loved the idea of a tin-top sports car, but on the R170's they(MB) put all the design effort into the roof - apart from the roof, it wasn't a great car. The R171 (IMHO) is a brilliant car - good styling, handling etc. etc. I sold my R170 at a profit(50 quid more than I paid for it), I even sold my Aston (DB9(and made money on that)), I would have probably bought a 55 but at the time, they were unavailable in the UK, - but I can't believe a 55 is that much better than a 350.

A friend of mine has a Z4 - nah. Boxters are passe(IMHO) Audi TT - what - my memoy's not that good[:D][:D]

I love my new SLK.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
lawgee - 5/2/2005 11:56 AM

thanks
I bought for the overall package and because I like the metal roof (hate softtops). IMHO it is the best looking of its class...[;)]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
I looked, drove and almost put a deposit on the Boxter S and in a short period of madness, wished I had purchased it instead of the 350SLK.

I purchased the SLK instead because of it stunning looks, vario top, smooth ride and handling and all the gizmos/luxury features.

When I was regretting the purchase it was because I missed the control of manual transmission and the handling and responsivenees of the Boxter. However, all in all I think I made the right choice for now and in 3-4 years maybe I'll get a Boxter or something similar that hasn't even been designed yet (and that could be another Mercedes - but with a manual next time unless they really can make a true manumatic).

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
I actually was looking at the Boxster S and M3 convertible before I bought the SLK350. I picked the SLK350 primarily because of the beautiful (and new) exterior and the clean interior. The M3 interior was outdated and exterior (everyone has an M3/3 series and it's getting replaced in the next couple months anyways). The Porsche I actually liked, but the body style was not "new" enough that I felt like spending the $18000 more for the Boxster S. Plus the soft top was ugly IMHO. I know I'm giving up a lot of handling on the SLK350, but with the money I'm saving, I could eventually spring for coilovers, better rims/tires, chip/kompressor, and match the Boxster S's performance for cheaper. Plus I'll have a better looking car. I think many of us who got the R171 fell in love with it the moment we saw it. At least I did. Then I test drove it with the top down, and I slipped on the engagement ring. When the dealer gave me $3,500 under sticker, I sealed the deal. I actually got the SLK350 for cheaper than a base Boxster. Last thing:

M3 Pimp factor: 7/10
Boxster S Pimp factor: 8/10
SLK350 Pimp factor: 9.5/10

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
slktyperice i totally agree with u~~~
i have been looking at the boxster s too before i place deposite for the slk
the only thing i love about the boxster s is the handling
for the interior and exterior and the hard top i think the slk is a lot better then the boxster s

but all my friends seems disagree with me
they keep saying to me a boxster s is a Porsche and the slk will only be a mercedes

except for the handling of the boxster s i really think that over all the slk is a lot better

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
lawgee - 5/2/2005 4:07 PM

but all my friends seems disagree with me
they keep saying to me a boxster s is a Porsche and the slk will only be a mercedes

except for the handling of the boxster s i really think that over all the slk is a lot better
Will your friends be driving and paying for your car? You have to love what you drive!![:p]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes that's what i think malibuite
so i go for the slk

i just wonder what car did other consider before they place deposite for the slk

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
454 Posts
I placed my order for an SLK 350 over the weekend. I did consider the Boxster S, but I wanted a little more luxury and the hardtop. I like the look of the SLK better than the Boxster. The SLK with the sports suspension/manual transmission gets you close enough to the performance of the Boxster S without being too harsh as a daily driver.

·
Registered
SLK 350 Launch Ed.
29 Posts
I considered and test drove the Boxter..........

but the SLK350 won out for me......again.
I was replacing an SLK230 and had considered the Boxter originally also. With the first edition SLK230, the Boxter won out in power and handling. The SLK230 won me with the Vario roof. It was 1998 and that Vario roof was just too cool. Then, the contestants were the Z3, Boxter and SLK.

This time the Vario roof was not that big of an issue. I could live with a ragtop now because my wife has a CLK320 Cabriolet and I like it. This time the competition boiled down to the Boxter and SLK350.

STYLING
I gave the SLK an edge here. I really, really like the Boxter body style but the original SLK body style was revolutionary to me. The new SLK didn't initially get my heart thumping. I love the front end but feel they could have done more with the profile. The rear end is OK but really loved the angularity of the original body style.

HP and HANDLING
I rated the SLK a little higher here based on my test drives on city streets, highway and semi-back roads. The Boxter obviously had a more sporty feel but the SLK, both on city and highway, felt more refined. I could live with either.

INTERIOR
SLK350 was a clear winner here for me. Boxter was just too sparse and too noisy. It just seemed a lot noisier because that engine was right behind you. I just knew I would be unhappy with that noise. It wasn’t the Porsche “growl�, it was just noisy! The SLK has picked up some testosterone and it growls now.

PRICE
SLK350 offered more value here for me.

Mel

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
I for one tested the Boxter S first, loved the car, the Go Kart handling of the car, actually, it was one of the best cars I have ever driven [:0]

Same complaints as the others, the noise, the soft roof and it was at least 30% more expensive when you add in all the extras that my Benz had. I felt the SLK is more practical in terms of daily usage and you gotta love the tin roof!

Not regretting the SLK 350, gorgeous car, but I felt and still feel that the back end could have been better, it is a hint too feminine for my tase. One last comment, even the Cayanne Turbo does not have LED lights [^]

I may consider the Pourche Cayman if they play the stying game right and reduce the noise to a tolerable level.

·
Registered
SLK350/AMG PKG
184 Posts
I bought mine for the Looks, Performance and b/c I have never owned a MB. Really love the car. I just still have a love for a more raw powerful car so in my opinion, even the better handling and little sportier Boxster would not satisfy my need for mega torque. I made the right decision on the MB over the Porsche. I just had to suppliment it with a torque monster.

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
I think we're all in agreement here about why we got the SLK over the Boxster/Boxster S. And to dispel all your regrets:

$600-$1400 Chip Upgrade (+~20hp/~40+tq)
$350 H&R Sport Springs (installed)
$1500-$2000 lightweight 18"/19" rims with wider Potenza S-03 tires

There you go. Boxster S killer.

Then there's the upcoming Kleeman kompressor for the SLK350. It claims to boost the stock 350 engine to ~380-400hp at the crank. We'll see about that. If the C32 kompressor can boost a stock 320 engine from ~210 to ~340, I'm pretty confident that our engine can be boosted to 400. Then it'll be SLK55 and M3 slaughter time. Best of both worlds. 380hp, SLK, manual trans. =)

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
slktyperice - 5/3/2005 1:07 PM

I think we're all in agreement here about why we got the SLK over the Boxster/Boxster S. And to dispel all your regrets:

$600-$1400 Chip Upgrade (+~20hp/~40+tq)
$350 H&R Sport Springs (installed)
$1500-$2000 lightweight 18"/19" rims with wider Potenza S-03 tires

There you go. Boxster S killer.

Then there's the upcoming Kleeman kompressor for the SLK350. It claims to boost the stock 350 engine to ~380-400hp at the crank. We'll see about that. If the C32 kompressor can boost a stock 320 engine from ~210 to ~340, I'm pretty confident that our engine can be boosted to 400. Then it'll be SLK55 and M3 slaughter time. Best of both worlds. 380hp, SLK, manual trans. =)
Shush!!!
Don't try to change my mind from the SLK55 AMG i have my eyes on in 2 years! [:D]

On a more serious note, I have been wondering about going that route since I LOVE the manual transmission.
I can guarantee you that if MB offered a 6sp manual in the AMG version, I'd be driving that today.
A shame.... [8)]

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
For me it came down to the SLK, the Boxster S, or Z4

Could not warm to the Z4 looks in the end ( along with any other current beamer at the moment ).
Also I kept hitting by left knee on the underside of the dash.

The Boxster was just too small and cramped in the cabin for me. Also the wife thought it looked tacky.
As I wanted a car to commute in it would have been too uncomfortable for every day use.
This was the better handling car though and I think if I could have fitted in it easily it would have been a much harder decision.

Fell in love with the SLK as soon as I saw it and sat in it.
The rest is history.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
'JUST' a Mercedes? What cars do your friends drive?

A Porsche is dime a dozen in some places, plus they all look the same. The Boxster is the poor mans Porsche, and personally there's just no clearly defined front or rear on it IMO.

Having said that, Porsches are good cars and having driven a Boxster S, I can say that "yes, it is a very good car", but I greatly prefer the SLK look, both interior and exterior.

I never really 'considered' other cars before getting the SLK. When I saw it in person, I thought it was just awesome. At first, I had my doubts about the 'nose job', but it was after the Geneva car show that I knew I had to upgrade from my older R170 which at the time, was my favorite car for under 100k (swiss francs). For the price, the 55 with it's folding top cannot be beaten.

Yes, for the price one could have a more powerful car, but brand new at just over 100k, this thing is as close to perfection as I can afford at the time being.

If I had unlimited funds, I might have gone with an SL65/SLR, Ferrari 360/430, but as luxurious sporty roadsters go, this beats them all hands down [:D] (the Z3/Z4, Miata, S2000, Boxster and all those other cars that fit the bracket of the old and new SLK).

The above is just my personal opinion, and I do like the cars I mentioned above. They all have their cool bits, and their poorer bits, so do take what I said with a grain of salt [:)]

·
Registered
SLK350,C230Komp
305 Posts
I chosen SLK because the vario top, SLR nose styling, air scarf option and a better resell value than BMW Z4.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Shinigami - 5/4/2005 7:09 PM

If I had unlimited funds, I might have gone with an SLR
[:)]
... but you can't get the roof down (having said that, our UK tabloids (trash newspapers) are full of pictures of a boxer's car, Naz Hasseem(or something like that) who's just tried to get the roof down on his SLR - totally totalled [:0][:0][:0])

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
1. SLK55, CLK500 cabrio, 350Z, Z4,
2. Yes

a) SLK55 will take too long to deliver, no trim package, I like the wood trim on a 'luxury sports car.' No manual transmission, the SLK will be my weekend car and I really want the sport feel of manual, had this been a daily car I would prefer auto. No euro delivery, this is my excuse for more vacations this year.

b) CLK500 was nice but no hard top, no airscarf, plus the styling is a little too conservative. I like the aggressive SLK look better.

c) 350Z cabrio, just a dime a dozen here in Colorado, everyone has one. At first I found the looks attractive but now it's just alright.

d)Z4, under power, that's enough to stay away from it.

e) Boxster, beautiful with top down, just plain ugly with top up. I can't get over that.

So SLK 350 w/ AMG and all packages on order waiting for Euro delivery.

·
Registered
SLK 350
87 Posts
I considered Z4, but never could come completely to terms with the styling. Also when I tried it, it felt too reminiscent of the not-so-good things about the Z3.

While the Boxster always comes out well in reviews, I find the proportions awkward, and unfortunately, people who own Porsches tend to be people I don't like very much. (But the M-B owners are a lovely bunch of people [:)].) I also thought the Boxster S would work out more expensive, but after having added some options onto the SLK, I am not sure there is so much difference.

I was interested in the R170 when I got the Z3, but the Z3 seemed much better value at the time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts