Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
500 SE (1989), 304,000 km.
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

1) How many hooks/bolts/parts hold the front bumper in place? Are they expensive to replace?

2) Anyone got a pic from the EPC, or elsewhere, of the front bumper assembly parts for my WDB126036...?

Cheers,
RS

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,245 Posts
The bumpers are each held up by two brackets, bolted to the car with three bolts per bracket. I think the bolts are 17 mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 SE (1989), 304,000 km.
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Axel,

Thanks alot for that info and great pics. That helps alot!

Two related issues:

1) Is removing the front bumper easy, and how do I go about removing it? (Access from the hood.)

2) When my local garage replaces the chrome strip along the top of the bumper, will they need to remove the front bumper to do this, or is it removed and replaced in situ?

Cheers again for any and all info provided...

Best wishes,
RS :)

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
I think the bumper has to come off and the best acces is from under the car. Once it's loose carefully slide the bumper forward(do not scratch).

gr J

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
On the SEL, there are four bolts per side, I think 18mm. Access from below, then pull the bumper straight off - without doinking it off your head, feet or the ground.

The chrome inlay is held in place by about a dozen bolts, 10 or 11mm if memory serves me correctly. These can be accessed with the bumper on the chassis but it's much easier and faster to do this after taking the bumper off, as the small bolts each have a washer nut. You'd have to have angelic patience or be pretty stupid to complete this job with the bumper still on the vehicle (don't ask me how I know).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts