Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1973 450 SLC...1992 BMW 525 Touring...1999 Vehicross
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 1973 450 slc,got it from an estate{ still has collector plates}.I only drive it occassionally,and thought to try and sell it locally.
I asked a reasonable price and waited.Not one bite.My question is why not.
I check ebay and other collector sites and see lots of ads,but no sales.
Why is the market so slow on these?Up here in the NW,it seems that a coupe would sell as fast as a convertible sl model? Any philosophers or sages out there????:confused:

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,777 Posts
Post some pics and let us see it.
Mileage? rust? asking price?
All of these will bear on the sale.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I did that!!!!

It is posted with pictures on benzworld classified{1973 450 slc},on ebay local portland classified { thru benzworld},on portland craigslist{by owner,1973 mercedes 450 slc} and Seattle craigslist{by owner,vintage mercedes} Is it the time of year? the ad? the car?the price?I would think any 1973 car,especially a benz,that runs and drives this well,and is this clean and complete would get lots of intrest. Is there a "benz fear" out there??:)

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,777 Posts
I am not psychic. Don't check the for sale section very often. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
12,292 Posts
I had to do a search to find the ad. When you changed the price, it might have been an idea to repost the ad, so it would get to the top.

The ad did not say what the mileage is. It did mention a few bad words - rust, dash cracks, repainted but know when. Sort of negatives. Nothing about maintenance records or recent work done on car.

Still, depending on mileage, someone should be interested.

Good luck with the sale.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,284 Posts
Tough crowd to sell to...
Your previous posts don't help much either, ie, did you get the high idle problem solved? How about the sliding roof? The centra wheels/lock issue... is it resolved?

Otherwise, good luck with the sale.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
12,292 Posts
When buying a used car, here is one reason why you should only buy a 96 or later (OBD equipped) car if it has documented service records:

OBD II speedometer odometer programmer (watch the video)

How do they wind the odometers back on our cars? I remember the days when it took a reversible electric drill attached to the speedo cable!

BTW - I checked the eBay market place on this site for slcs - it came up with one in Ca with a similar description, also with bad A/C and clock, but later model, I think, for $3000.

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,777 Posts
Here is another on CL around Portland. $4,200. May be an imported standard spec.
mercedes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mentioned problems fixed,

As to my previously mentioned problems,after reading replies and following common cures,all the problems i was having were easily fixed.Sunroof slides better now thanks to track cleaning and proper lube,and a new set of fuses for the fuse box{they looked 37 years old!}The Idle issue was a vacuum hose,brittle and cracked.The wheel lock issue is solved with a stubby,flat blade screwdriver {now carried in trunk}I like the car,and the remedies presented here make sense,and work.Unlike the 92 bmw i have,whose problems and solutions seem to come from the twilight zone.I think of the bmw as a mixture of a car,but with the electrical system from "HAL" and microsoft combined.{" I'M SORRY DAVE,BUT I DON'T THINK I WANT TO LET YOU GO FOR A DRIVE TODAY"} And I don't see many 37 tear old beemers still running around either!!: Nonetheless,I haven't decided which one to keep,probably the one i don't sell !!

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Without pictures this is all mental masturbation.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,284 Posts
Anybody care to post a link to this thing somewhere?
View musicman's public profile, go to statistics, and click on "threads started by..."
you can then pic his for sale post from the list...

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,777 Posts
View musicman's public profile, go to statistics, and click on "threads started by..."
you can then pic his for sale post from the list...
But why should anyone have to do that? :confused::confused:

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
If I was you I would post 20+ more photos. Take pics of the underside. I want to see a pic of the europa. More pictures of the interior. How about the engine? The more pictures the better, if the cars is as nice as it looks it should sell.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Your ad says the dash has cracks, but no pictures of them, so the potential buyer's imagination is free to make them as bad as possible. It says the interior has no rips, but there's clearly a problem with the driver side upholstery, which lets the potential buyer wonder what else might not be mentioned. It mentions rust, but no closeup photo - again the buyer's imagination is allowed to work overtime.

Highlight the issues - take close up photos of them. I've seen ads where the seller's finger is shown pointing right to the problem. That can actually help you, if the rust spot really is small, because it shows scale and gives them a good idea of how big (or not big) it actually is. I agree about the photos of the undercarriage. They don't have to be professionally shot while the car is on a lift, you can hold the camera under the car and take them that way. Show under the engine compartment, so they can see if the bottom end is a rusty mess or fairly clean.

The photos you've got would work for a 2007 car, where some things (like the state of the engine, transmission and suspension) isn't in question. On a car that's nearly 40 years old, you need to show everything. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Otherwise the cynics will say you're hiding things, and the realists will say there just isn't enough information to risk it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok,i think i get it.......

Took alot more pictures",over,under,sideways,down". I am still trying to track down any documents from the original owner.The car was from a collector of vintage chevrolets here in Oregon,and was the last to be sold. I did track down the wife whose name was on the title,she claimed a package of papers was with the car,but the estate sellers said there was nothing.So,in short I have no history of the car.I can only say that it runs and drives very well for any vehicle with it's age and mileage,so service and repairs must have been done. SO..how many pictures can i add thru the benzworld ad or must i use photobucket to add them?? Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions!!!!
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts