Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remembered a few years ago, after owning the MB for more than 10 years, deciding to check the oil and found it low. I stood and stared at the engine realizing I didn't know where the oil cap was!!! That's one reason I spent $100,000 at THE DEALERSHIP of NEW JERSEY in those 10 years. After that long-winded introduction: What do you guys consider routine maintenance? What is it you check let's say every week, non-fail? Every month? Do you use the MB manual as a guide: Type A maintenance, etc?

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
teoteodore - 5/16/2005 7:58 PM

I remembered a few years ago, after owning the MB for more than 10 years, deciding to check the oil and found it low. I stood and stared at the engine realizing I didn't know where the oil cap was!!! That's one reason I spent $100,000 at THE DEALERSHIP of NEW JERSEY in those 10 years. After that long-winded introduction: What do you guys consider routine maintenance? What is it you check let's say every week, non-fail? Every month? Do you use the MB manual as a guide: Type A maintenance, etc?
Well, personally for me, I check all the fluids and the battery without fail every week. I check my headlights and brake lights every fortnight. Tyre pressure I check every month. I do all this at home.

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cmd: Great! Thanks --- how do you check the battery? [:p] I'm slow about some things [:eek:)] --- BTW: Like the Brits, we are two countries separated by a common language --- tyre, fortnight --- I love you guys!!!

[:X]

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I would assume cnd checks the terminals for corrosion, as one would buy an otherwise maintenance-free battery. I suppose one could test the voltage from time to time with an older battery.

Being a life-long motorhead I seem to be able to remember what needs to be done and when. [:I]

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I test the little square batteries you by touching both terminals to my tongue and if I get that sour tingle I know they're OK. If there something similar I can do with a car battery [:D]

·
Banned
1992 W126 300 SE
11,045 Posts
I check that i can remember where i parked it and that my breakdown and recovery insurance is fully paid up,sometimes.

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First it's an Aussie with tyre and fortnight, and now a Brit with breakdown and recovery [:p]

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
jdc1244a - 5/16/2005 2:25 AM

I would assume cnd checks the terminals for corrosion, as one would buy an otherwise maintenance-free battery.
My battery has the removable cell caps. So, I have to check the electrolyte level.

Teoteodore, you're too funny. [:D]

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
teoteodore - 5/15/2005 1:09 PM

I test the little square batteries you by touching both terminals to my tongue and if I get that sour tingle I know they're OK. If there something similar I can do with a car battery [:D]
If you have a tongue long enough, you could try the same method.

Pick up a decent Multimeter from Sears that can measure voltage, current, impedance and other electrical stuff that is so handy for self-diagnosis. A CD manual of W126 cars will be a good place to get to know your car (can be had for $15 or thereabouts on Ebay).

Now I know what you do/did for a living, the understanding of stuff under the hood will come quickly to you.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,145 Posts
I went to a Mercedes Benz Club of America event on Saturday where they talked about maintenance and here are my takeaways:

- Fluids; change ALL at regular intervals.
Brake fluids - Once a year, pressure bleed the system and replace with DOT 4 fluids.
Transmission - Drop the pan and replace fluids every 30k miles.
Power steering - Replace filters, fluids and seals every 50k miles.
Hydraulic suspension - Replace oil every 50k miles.
Differential - Replace oil (remove the filler plug FIRST) every 50k miles.
Radiator - Check PH (should be ~8) 4 times a year and the level once a week. Flush radiator once every two years.
Engine oil - Every 3k miles.

Of all the fluids, the differential and hydraulic systems are the most commonly neglected.

- Rubber products (no snickering in the back...)
All water hoses, fuel lines, brake lines, vacuum lines and seals need to be changed as they age. After 10 years, they are all due for replacement.
Window seals, taillight seals, sunroof seals, replace after 10 years.
Belts - every 30k miles.

- Battery, get a sealed Optima battery from:
http://www.batteries.com/index.asp?sid=428934007D0AE17F&N=%2D13200&Ne=23&Nao=0&Nu=p%5Fprodcode
Do NOT buy MB batteries. They are crap.

A lot of problems with the electrical system originates in the alternator. Change at least the bushings after 75k miles.

Diesels - Change the glow plugs every 5 years.

A big warning against the newer "Sealed for life" transmissions; "Life" means 100k miles when you have to replace the entire thing. Change the transmission fluids every 30k miles instead and it will last a whole lot longer. Same goes for the hydraulic systems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts