Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a good amount of BMWs . I am now deciding between an 04 E320 or 02 E55. The E320 is newer with a little less miles but just feels funky driving. Very electronic (thanks drive by wire). I test drove the E55 today and holy cow what a machine car. My dad just got rid of his e39 M5 which i drove often but this car feels so silky and smooth. Very different than the M5. This E55 just hit 100,000 miles. The dealer knows all the owners that have had the car. They all bought from him then would trade back in ( 3 owners total). Last owner was some head mechanic and Hendrick Mercedes in Charlotte and just had a whole lot of warranty work done. Valve cover gaskets and way more. It also has some exhaust work done and it sounds unreal. The car is white with black leather and I kid you not; I had a really , I mean really hard time finding a blemish or flaw on the car. The interior still has the crayola crayon smell and floor mats are mint. Hes asking $13,900. I am definitely hooked on this thing. Just not sure if that is paying too much for a car with that amount of miles on it. Yet the condition is outstanding. After driving it I don't even want to give the E320 a second thought. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Use edmunds.com "appraise your car" feature for a reliable 3rd party guide to value for dealer retail.

It's the best realistic 3rd party guide to value, for heaven's sake don't use Kelly Blue Book.

At 100K, plan for a tranny service as soon as possible (like $350), check condition of front brakes (discs are realtively expensive), and condition of the rubber since tires for a sport sedan last 15K-20K tops.

See the other recent post from a propsective buyer, and the replies, for more info.

Good luck !

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just saw that post lol. Apparently it had a 100K mile warranty on it & they claim a whole lot of work was done just to use the warranty up. Including things that just looked like it would need to be replaced but wasn't necessary. But an oil level sensor code was on, he said that was getting fixed this week.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy Tahoe LT, 2012 VW Jetta 2.oh slow, 1998 E55 AMG
261 Posts
E55 hands down!
Dont give the e320 a second thought....:D
Come on, your talking about the last fully hand built AMG!
The real sleeper, the best of the last w210's....
Sorry cant help on price's though..

Does the car have full service history?
If it does, it would help you plan out what needs to be done next.
However, as Fabbrids1 has mentioned and whats said in the other post...a PPI is a must and plan for a transmission oil change and check up on the brakes and tires...

Good luck.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Btw,

The first time I drove the e55, needless to say that I was hooked...but I had this ridiculous grin that i couldn't get rid of for quite some time afterwards! :D

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Btw,

The first time I drove the e55, needless to say that I was hooked...but I had this ridiculous grin that i couldn't get rid of for quite some time afterwards! :D
I second you on that one, its just something about the car. I am not too sure but I think the owner removed part of the CATS and that is why it sounds like it does. It still passes inspection though. I bought a 2005 745li over the summer and was so excited about it. When I went to pick it up in Georgia and drove it for the first time there was no real connection. It was like a big car full of crazy technology but it felt so disconnected. This car you can feel ever cylinder through that peddle. Tomorrow I have to call my insurance and give the vin to my broker to see what she has to say. I am 19 and my insurance is super high so I gotta see how ridiculous it is gonna be for the AMG. I am hopping because it is an older car it wont be so bad.

·
Registered
2000 W210 E55 AMG, Silver/Black - Stock
611 Posts
That "feel" is the last of the pure "Mercedes" (some call them "cold war" Mercedes). Most manufacturers now, including Mercedes, share design/assembly practices and parts to the extent that they feel and somewhat look too similar. Traditional distinctive personality is lost.

As far as reliability, its very, very good.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Holy $%#!!!!!

That car is sweet!!!!

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
I just saw that post lol. Apparently it had a 100K mile warranty on it & they claim a whole lot of work was done just to use the warranty up. Including things that just looked like it would need to be replaced but wasn't necessary. But an oil level sensor code was on, he said that was getting fixed this week.
Most used E-class cars would have decent paint and interior to attract buyers.
I look at the glass half empty.
The E55 car being discussed might be burning and/or leaking oil. That's some problem you won't find out until owning the car for a few thousand miles. Did AMG just bore the cylinders from 4.3 to 5.0 to 5.5 with fitted piston rings to market "their" car? I suspect the mechanic told the last owner "something serious and/or bad" to make him decide to trade in the car. The last owner played it safe for himself, out of 100K mile warranty, he sells.
Get a carfax report, it may tell more story with 3 owners in 100K miles. That's too many in IMO.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have already looked at the Carfax on this car. It has been in NC its whole life and has had three owners just like he told me. There are no red flags on the report but I know Carfax does not tell it all. I was told the owner that traded it in just wants something different and he is having the dealer search for something right now. As far as the miles go I don't think that is a big deal. These cars will run until the wheels fall off and this particular one shows hardly any sign of age at all. It is all about how well the car was taken car of and maintained. In this case I feel that it has been done exceptionally well. I'm gonna look into having a PPI done this week. Also I will be very surprised if I keep this car past 125,000 miles. I love cars and I am always switching it up. UNLESS this thing does something crazy to me lol.

Also the last owner was a mechanic from Hendrick Mercedes. I have sold many cars for the simple reason to get something different and I am sure there is a chance that is what he is doing.

·
Registered
02 E55 & 07 SL55
52 Posts
pick it up! I was eyeing that car so hard when I was looking for mine. It it wasn't so far away, I probably would've snatched it.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
It sure looks clean and based on description, it's not that bad of a deal as long as the price is negotiable and no major surprises after the PPI. It also looks nice in white. :)

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
The 02 E55 was the "scarcest" of the series, with the lowest production for this last year of the series, that's worth a little on the selling price.

It all boils down to a indie PPI, with attention to the issues I pointed out in my original replies to you.

You missed the end November end-of-month dealer window, December car sales are in the dump, take you time and research the price you want to get the car for - I'd always rather take that extra $1000-$1500 from the dealers pocket and have it to put into the car to make it trouble free at the front end of the 1st year of ownership.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The 02 E55 was the "scarcest" of the series, with the lowest production for this last year of the series, that's worth a little on the selling price.
mbusa publish 997 E55 units for 2002 model year and 653 E55 units for 2001
the 1999 and 2000 models each had way over 1000 units made

·
Registered
222 Posts
An AMG and a regular MBZ are so far apart. It's not like a BMW and and M series that share so much DNA. The AMG's are a significant departure from the base MBZ. While the M series is a further refinement of a BMW that starts out much more committed to the driving experience. If you can't get an AMG, stick with an M series BMW.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Offer him 11k, if he says no, walk out.
that'd be nice if the seller will go that low but don't be afraid to push it a little higher if the E55 is really in fine shape with hardly any issues

depending on your budget sometimes it's worth the risk
why not go for it within reason

1 - 20 of 21 Posts