Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So went through and replaced all four shocks, here are the results/my opinions:

Good:
the car has a much firmer ride to it now, especially at high speeds in the highway when going over dips when before the car would like to 'loosen up'. Bumps and imperfections in the road are more pronounced but by no means uncomfortable, more of a closer connection with the road.

Bad:
one reason I was really wanting to upgrade to heavy duty shocks was to cut-down on body roll around corners, I like to use the brakes as little as possible and the car had too much lean for me. Well, honestly, there doesn't seem to be any difference in body roll, maybe slightly. I'm kinda wondering if maybe the shocks I just replaced were heavy duty and I didn't know it, because all-in-all there's not much difference in ride, other than the new set are...new.

So I would say I'm happy with the bilstein heavy duty but I'm not sure it was worth it for me because the difference in ride is less than I thought there would be.

My opinions :-/

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
did you notice less bump steer? im trying to figure out if my case is from worn components or just normal from weak shocks.
oh and are you using alloys or steels rims?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they're steel rims with alloy coating in the center, they're mille miglia's. I can't really say I've noticed bump steer, but honestly my car has a problem with pulling hard to the right so I would maybe not notice it anyway.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you replace comforts?
As vipercrazy mentions, check the other components. Especially the sway bar mounts.
Well I assumed they were comforts, but there doesn't seem to be much difference so...?

I need to be looking at other stuff in the front end because it's out of alignment anyway, should I look at the sway bar bushings?

·
Registered
167 Posts
In theory new shocks will not change the body roll at all, only the rate at which the body rolls. Shocks simply slow the rate of change of spring compression and extension but don't limit it or add to it significantly.

So, through a thrashing slalom course stiffer shocks would be noticed (fast left and right turns), but around a smooth sweeping turn, very little change should be felt with stiffer shocks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Are the Bilstein HD's the same shocks that normally sit on European sold MB's? I know that Volvo puts softer shocks in for the US market, maybe MB does the same.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Well I assumed they were comforts, but there doesn't seem to be much difference so...?

I need to be looking at other stuff in the front end because it's out of alignment anyway, should I look at the sway bar bushings?
In front, the sway bar (torsion bar in MB speak) is bolted to the UCA, with two bushings, the bolt in the middle. Have a look, you'll understand. It has rubber mounts also, bolted to the firewall, an extremely difficult project to replace.
Do a close inspection on ALL front end components. You can see the inner bushings of the UCA by just looking at it, don't have to jack up or crawl under, but do so to check the drag link, ball joints etc.

On the rear there are sway bar links plastic "Z" looking things, usually when one of those fail, you get an audible clunking sound from there. That is cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
did you notice less bump steer? im trying to figure out if my case is from worn components or just normal from weak shocks.
oh and are you using alloys or steels rims?
viper have you recently replaced your steering damper? if not do so cost about $40 that's the main suspension part too prevent bump steer.

·
Premium Member
16,161 Posts
viper have you recently replaced your steering damper? if not do so cost about $40 that's the main suspension part too prevent bump steer.
$28 and free shipping from Amazon, got a Sachs/Boge unit and installed yesterday. Car feels tighter now, and does not wander on the freeway anymore. Old one was so worn out and like others have posted in other threads, I could just push the other end in easily.

One thing about the installation though is that I could get under the car without any jacks, it's high enough for me to crawl underneath it. Two 17mm bolts and it's out, but you'll need two wrenches, one to hold the nut/bolt and the other to loose/tighten the bolt/nut.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
im sure it would help but im worried it would be like putting a big band aid on the problem and not actually fixing it. i have so much bumpsteer its scary. on the straits its a fine car though.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I went with the comfort shocks and I'm pretty sure it was the right choice for me. My 300D is a cruiser, not a track car. Maybe if I had a coupe...

so can the damper be tested in place, or does it need to be removed?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I went with the comfort shocks and I'm pretty sure it was the right choice for me. My 300D is a cruiser, not a track car. Maybe if I had a coupe...

so can the damper be tested in place, or does it need to be removed?
Bounce on one corner of the car several times...hard. Count the number of times it keeps bouncing after you stop. It should stabilize within 1 to 1.5 bounces. Also, look at the sides of he damper for oil leaks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Comforts

I like comforts myself. My 85D has comforts and I like the ride. Its how MB supplies them - with comforts. My 84D currently has KYBs by PO and its a bit too bumpy fore. I realize the HDs probably ride different but since I can't return them if I don't like them I will go with comforts when I replace the KYBs.

I'm in the process of replacing my axle cv boots and I plan to incorporate the shocks change with this work.

Although, I am toying with the idea of trying Sachs/Boge Touring shocks whih I believe is the other OE brand of MB. Both mfrs are lifetime warranty. Just keep your receipt.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
What is bump steer?

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
bumpsteer is whereas imperfections in the road will cause the car to be 'darty'. some folks call it 'nervous', another similar issue is called 'tramlining' whereas the car will want to follow ruts or grooves in the pavement.

worn out suspension, some tire designs, and mostly a lack of some small toe-in will exacerbate these types of issues.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts