Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D TurboDiesel
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background:
So I bought my 300D with the busted b2, that's why the PO wanted to sell. My first w123 so I don't know how these things are supposed to drive. I replaced the B2, and while there the K1 spring. Did oil and filter change, for tranny as well as engine. Without any major surprises. well, the oil leaks a bit now from the engine oil drain plug, previously no leak. I tightened it pretty good, thinking I must've forgot the washer. but hoping I can get away with it, until the next oil change. PO had the fuel filters changed in Dec '07.

After that I ripped out the interior to install the sound system. ran new speaker/amp wiring from HU to dash to rear deck to trunk. (including this in case y'all think its vacuum related) right now power locks don't work but windows do. though the trunk does lock with the drivers door.

Currently, when i drive, if I floor it, the tranny goes ...1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1(up to 3200 rpm) then 2-2 (engages at 2500-then shifts to third at 2700), then 3rd to 4th work normally. The shift from first to second is very jarring, neck breaking almost. and it only stays in 2nd for 1-2 seconds. If I accelerate slowly though, it goes through 1-2-3 "normally".

What to do? where to start? or is this "normal behavior"?

·
Registered
EURO 280CE
1,689 Posts
Test the tranny pressure at the modulator port and adjust as necessary. There are several DIY articles on doing it.
there are?

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,157 Posts
You might be right about your problem being a vacuum issue. If you have a vacuum leak at your locks, you might not be getting enough vacuum to the transmission. Without enough vacuum to your transmission, it will shift hard. Before messing with the modulator, you might want to test the vacuum going to the transmission after the VCV on top of the injection pump.

You might want to cap off the line feeding the yellow lines to the locks first. After you have the transmission sorted out, you can move on to the locks.

After you get the firmness softened up a bit, you can look to the bowden cable to affect the timing of shifts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts