Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML55, 2001 S500, 2007 R63
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a loud rattle sound coming from underneath the car. After reading a few threads on it, I suspected it was the rear cats. I ordered a pair of Magnaflow 53005 universal cats that a lot of board members used to replace the OEM rear cats. I took it to my exhaust shop and they suggested to instead put straight pipes so that I'll never have this problem down the road again. The rear cats are after the o2 sensors so no check engine light will ever come on for them. After about 30 minutes of work, started the car right up and no more rattle! Turns out only one of my rear cats were bad. The screen inside it was rattling about in there. The other cat was fine. I was worried at first that maybe the primary cats were falling apart and destroying the rear cats but that was not the case. I haven't noticed any increase in exhaust noise and I haven't noticed any increase or decrease in power. All i care about is that now I won't feel embarrassed about that damn rattling noise.

Since I went with straight pipes instead of installing the magnaflows, they are now for sale. If anyone wants the pair which are brand new in the box, I'll take $140 shipped for them. I have pics of the cats if needed.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts