Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2x 1986 190E 2.3 16V Cosworth, 1975 450SE, 1995 E320 Convertible
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)I was waiting to buy CL65 and found very clean but little high mileage (98K) and bought last week. The vehicle just arrived today. I already expect to have some problems before I bought it. My friend in LA went to check the car last week and he said its OK. He checked the paint with paint meter and there is no paint on the steel parts and not even on the plastics including front fenders. Only front bumper was painted due to scratches at the dealership. Definately no ABC problem. I said OK and I am lucky. But until I test drive on highway everything was fine. Engine works fine transmission shift perfect. Very good power and no smoke at all. I drove on highway and took exit after 10 miles. I stopped at traffic light. After green light I started to cruise for half miles and suddenly check engine light came on and the sound of the exhaust changed. All of a sudden all the power of the motor is gone. There is no shaking or rattling at all. It looks like it has a 4 cylinder power and the car does not want to move. I came back to home and turned off the car. It sat about 5 hours and the engine cooled off. I started the car again and it runs just fine. After it warms up and you drive in the city all of a sudden it cuts back the power. It seems that it takes itself to a safety mode if there is one. Does anybody know what it is or have any idea?? I just dont want to go a dealership and ask what it is. I know they will come with an appraisal of at least $5k. Last time they tried to bill me $6k for an ABC issue on my 03 CL500 to change some of the suspension parts. After that I realized it was a electric plug on ABC module not connected securely. Thank You for your help.

·
Registered
C215-CL500 & W140-300SE
662 Posts
Change the throttle pedal.

·
Registered
2x 1986 190E 2.3 16V Cosworth, 1975 450SE, 1995 E320 Convertible
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you mean that turbos cooled with antifreeze? and the car goes on safety mode because turbos reach the high temperature? I also smelled light coolant not extreme but just little... can you please give some information? I will post some pictures tomorrow and believe me the vehicle is much more cleaner than the one Ive had with 50k miles..
ıt just depends on who drove the car and how it was taken care of..
thank you

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
Faulty intercooler pump. Do a search for the retrofit of a Johnson intercooler pump.

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
if the pump is bad, does it give any fault codes? is it easy to change?
Mine never gave fault codes. It would just cut the power at odd times. I made the mistake of getting the replacement from the dealer. From what I've read, the retrofit is very easy.

·
Registered
2003 Cl600 under full restoration after accident, 1993 3000GT
96 Posts
Was it a private sale?

Perhaps there is a way to get the seller to cover your expenses if it turns out that the problem will be expensive to fix.

I think it sound as if the seller must have known this error since it came up so early after the purchase.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.