Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ML350
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.

Got my Gold93 Powerchipped ECU for my 2005 350SE back from Powerchipgroup today (thanks to UncAL for the instructions on removing the ECU) and I have to say that I can really feel a difference in throttle response in the low to mid range. I haven't tried to really air it out, since it's snowing in New Jersey today [:(]

I even had my wife drive since she didn't believe there would be a noticable difference and even she had to admit that 'old pokey' was now 'zippy'. She has a BMW 330ci and hated the lag on the ML at 1500 to 3000 rpm and that fact that she had to floor the gas to get a decent kick. Going up hills from a standing start was also a rather anemic experience.

So based on the 3 hours of driving I've done today here's some observations:

PROS:
Throttle response is great. Almost like our Bimmer. Especially at low to mid range
No more annoying lag. acceleration is better an smoother
Improvement in torque pull is noticable, especially up hills.

Cons:
Instructions from Powerchip on ECU removal are not every detailed and were out of date (had me looking to remove the ECU mounted on a steel plate, when on 2005 models, the ECU is housed in a snap in plastic 'boot')
Although the truck accelerates better, it's not the push you back in the seat kind of experience (but I wasn't expecting that)
Probably gonna drive my truck hardercuz it's more fun now (not a con really [:D])
Filled up with 94 octane at Sunoco and it was $45 [:0

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Well that's good to know ... I'm glad you FEEL the giddy up and go in the lower RPM's. I think I'll be getting this chip as my next mod. If you have anyother helpfull info or observations please let me know. Thxs !! [:D]

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
Geez, for a few K more you coulda had a V-8. It's all about torque. Torque gets you up the hill, HP tells you how fast. I had a 430 and thought that was stout, until I bought an 05 500SE. I've never had it on the floor. Never needed it. But, at $2.75 a gal. here in Ca. I can see the virtue of the V-6 [:D]

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Upsolute chip in my 320. Never looked back, dramatic improvement without the weight and gas penalties of the V8. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Upsolute chip cost just over $500 including tax and fitting, I did a bit of research into the various ones out there and went with them - no problems (that included K&N filters).

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
What is that supposed to mean? Is going up a hill faster not good?

At the end of the day what is important is how much power (horsepower or kilowatts) is available over how much of an rpm range. Having lots of low end torque but no high end rpms (like an unturbocharged diesel) is not good, but having only high end power (like a small high-output gas engine) is not good either. The winning formula is maximum torque over the entire rpm range so as to generate the maximum integrated (not peak!) power.

DelJ

dakat - 3/23/2005 8:47 PM

It's all about torque. Torque gets you up the hill, HP tells you how fast.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
I would not want more low end throttle response in my ML430. I already have to press gently on the accelerator to avoid a hard takeoff. No lag in my ML430, so that must be a 6-cylinder engine issue.

Powerchip rips off us V8 owners, anyhow. $840 for the ML430 Powerchip versus $640 for the V6 Powerchip. Why the $200 difference?

DelJ

bocobod - 3/23/2005 5:14 PM

PROS:
Throttle response is great. Almost like our Bimmer. Especially at low to mid range
No more annoying lag. acceleration is better an smoother
Improvement in torque pull is noticable, especially up hills.

[:0

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
My research shows the 3.7 V-6 in the ML 350 has 254 ft. lb.s of torque starting at 3000 rpm and peaking at 4500 rpm. Whereas the 5.0 V-8 has 325 ft. lbs. of torque starting at 2700 rpm and peaking at 4250 rpm. I know the V-8 has a very flat torque curve and assume the V-6 does too. It appears the torue range has been moved up on the V-6 to compensate for the smaller displacement. So evidently the V-6 chip fills this in. My question would be does the entire fuel curve get changed or just the low end range? What does the chip do to the emission test when it's time for that? How does it affect the over all mileage? I agree with DelJ. My 430 was touchy on the throttle, and the 500 I have now even more so. Some of the on ramps here in Cal. are rather short and the V-8 power is a real asset. I had GM V-6 vehicles for years and hated them every day and swore I'd never buy anybody's V-6. We all bought our ML's for different reasons, we each are in different economic situations and I respect that. I waited until I could pay cash for the trucks and afford the gas, because I wanted the power. I have a home in Montana too, and the altitude there just kills a smaller V-6 engine. But, each to their own! That's what America is all about!! [8D]

·
Registered
2004 ML270CDi
14 Posts
Hey Guys stop making me jealous. All this talk about V6 or V8. I've only got a straight 5 but it does produce 295 torque at 1800 rpm trouble is it's all gone by 2700 ppm. At least it cruises at 80 mph and 2500 rpm and still gives me 30 mpg. Which is just as well as diesel is about $1.70 a litre over here.

It also comes with serious turbo lag on take off. It is possible to chip the engine but my insurance company wanted a 50% increase in the premium.

I'd love a drive in a Brabus V12. That would shock the boy racers.

·
Registered
2007 ML350
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I couldn't talk my wife into getting the ML500 okay!! Satisfied? Rub it in why dontcha! [:D]

So, I'm stuck with a v6 that had terrible, laggy throttle response, espiacially at low range. I hated having to kick down everytime I wanted some response. With the chip, the response is much quicker and smoother, and bottom line, the truck is now fun to drive - almost like the BMW 330 (not quite, but then again I can't haul topsoil in the Bimmer either)

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
Bocobod:
Not trying to rub it in at all. We all have different situations here. Are you telling me that the wife that complained about having to floor the 350 said you couldn't get a 500? Easy, I'm teasing. Here's what happened to me-----just the opposite! I bought her a 430 used in 03----and that was okay! I buy her an 05 500SE in the fall of 04 complete with a vanity plate---MAZ BENZ. She won't drive it!!! Says it has too much power. So, we traded. She drives my GMC pick-up and I drive the 500. Go figure! Fun talking to ya!! [8D][8D][8D]

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts
My ML was pretty unresponsive for the first 40,000+ miles. It slowly began to be more responsive, and it has been until now that it has 101,000 miles that it has significantly improved the shifting and acceleration patterns. I have not changed yet spark plugs, transmission oil, MAF, or camshaft sensor, ever...

Normally, Mercedes uses safe settings/limits for the engine and transmission, so having a way to tweak those paramters will surely improve the overall performance and driving feeling.

In my 35 years of vehicles and dirt bikes experience, I have really seen significant overall performance improvements from relatively small changes to the engine, gas mixture devices, and intakes. It does not necessarukt need to be a huge horsepower gain, but of an overall response time that your can feel and enjoy.

Like if could make the ML 320 immediately respond to pressing the accelerator, instead of lagging 0.5 to 2 seconds before you get any transmission/engine response (unless you kick it in), which was the case on my first 40,000 miles and with many ML's 320's that I have driven.. Though, even the 320 sedans have that engine/transmission tuning which the MB mechanics say its by design. I think, they have improved the overall tuning on 2002+ ML's..

Price/Performance is the name of this game and everybody's sweet spot ratio is different.

Happy to hear you are enjoying your new tuning..

AC

·
Registered
2007 ML350
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dakat:
that's too funny about your wife and the 500se! lucky you tho [:)] My wife didn't want to spend the extra money on the 500SE since she wants a LOT of front landscaping this year, then she complains about the performance...oy!

AC:
that's interesting about the response getting better after 40K...I wonder why. Definitely agree that snall tweaks can make a big difference, especially getting rid of that few seconds lag.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Hey bocobod, how is the ML running with the chip ?? Do you have any long term observations ?? [?][?]

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
273 Posts
I'd like to know your long term observations as well. I am also quite interested to see if there was any change in gas mileage...I know several people who have chipped different vehicles (never a MB) and some get better gas mileage, some worse and some stay the same...I'm looking at the powerchip because it seems to be highly rated on this forum for removing that annoying lag and because it's almost $400 cheaper than any of the other ECU upgrades...

·
Registered
2007 ML350
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys.

Still luvin it! There's this one hill going to work that used to drive me crazy before I Powerchipped. I had to stand on the damn gas pedal to even get moving at a decent speed. I was almost afraid I'd start rolling backwards (jk). I don't even think of this hill anymore since the throttle response is much quicker.

I gues I was used to my wife's Bimmer where a slight depression of the gas pedal give you immediate action. Powerchipping has made the truck behave much more like the Bimmer.

One bad thing that happend was when my wife filled it up with 91 octane. The truck was knocking and bucking like a rodeo bronco. Added an octane booster pronto.

I have heard that these chips adversely affect the cats, but I only have 1700 miles so far.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the chip although to tell you the truth, all it did was whet my appetite for more power, so I'm definitely going to Kleemann the truck! Ironically, this will require the installer to configure the ECU and my $850 bucks for the Powerchip will be history [:D]

·
Registered
2007 ML350
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh yeah, abou gas milage, it's worse since I now drive the truck much faster and harder [:p]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts