Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 E300D, 02 SL500, 02 C230 Kompressor, 12 GL350 Bluetec
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 02 SL500 with 89,000 miles that was lightly hit in the front. The damage is only cosmetic and I can fix it. I need to replace the hood, lights, bumper cover, radiator ...etc. If you know where I can source some of the parts that would be helpful. I also need to work on the ABC system since the car is seating low to the ground. Once I fix the body I will focus on the rest of the problems. Hopefully there are not that many.

I wanted to know what are some of the common problems with this chassis (R230). I read that the ABC suspension can be a pain to fix and the convertible hard top is also problematic. Is there anything else that I should watch out for?
See pics below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 SL55; 2011 E350 BTC
450 Posts
eBay or your local junk yard are good bets for parts. Some members are known to part their cars, and you might find parts here on the forums.

Search for 'buyers guide' for R230 and see what you find for problem areas. There are numerous problem areas, but the most expensive are the ABC and the top you mention. Since you are a DIY guy, I would say you can fix most if not all of the issues you find.

Your best investment is a Star Diagnostic System (SDS) that will uncover the problems and provide guidance for the fixes. It will cost $300-600 but will last the life of the car and you can sell it for the same price when you are done with it. Again, use the search feature on the forums to find more info.

Best of luck on your rebuild!

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,961 Posts
Welcome to the poor house...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a 02 SL500 with 89,000 miles that was lightly hit in the front. The damage is only cosmetic and I can fix it. I need to replace the hood, lights, bumper cover, radiator ...etc. If you know where I can source some of the parts that would be helpful. I also need to work on the ABC system since the car is seating low to the ground. Once I fix the body I will focus on the rest of the problems. Hopefully there are not that many.

I wanted to know what are some of the common problems with this chassis (R230). I read that the ABC suspension can be a pain to fix and the convertible hard top is also problematic. Is there anything else that I should watch out for?
See pics below.
,..................Yes eBay and Amazon, mostly eBay..or if your near a big city look at pic a parts that will inform you when or if they get a car in the year ranges for part's that fit..pic a part yards the car parts are stripped very fast after the get in yard so look back often....eBay has front bumper cover new and used and I have seen Hood's,, after market grills $ 140 new.....bumper cover needing minor work $200 to excellent$400 plus...hood and light assembly they are proud off...but you can message seller and try to buy for less even if it doesn't say make offer and some show pictures of the whole car you can message and ask if they have whatever you want...some of these parts you can negotiate price since some have been listed for sale long time... your sl500 will be a 2003 model for looking up parts but was built in 02 as the whole new sl an only a couple thousand were first built. I have the Designo edition 03 built in Jan 02, one of the first...good luck and negotiate the high prices because some think just because it's anMB they can sell very high.

·
Registered
5 Posts
,..................Yes eBay and Amazon, mostly eBay..or if your near a big city look at pic a parts that will inform you when or if they get a car in the year ranges for part's that fit..pic a part yards the car parts are stripped very fast after the get in yard so look back often....eBay has front bumper cover new and used and I have seen Hood's,, after market grills $ 140 new.....bumper cover needing minor work $200 to excellent$400 plus...hood and light assembly they are proud off...but you can message seller and try to buy for less even if it doesn't say make offer and some show pictures of the whole car you can message and ask if they have whatever you want...some of these parts you can negotiate price since some have been listed for sale long time... your sl500 will be a 2003 model for looking up parts but was built in 02 as the whole new sl an only a couple thousand were first built. I have the Designo edition 03 built in Jan 02, one of the first...good luck and negotiate the high prices because some think just because it's anMB they can sell very high.

See pics below.
.....Oh, and I have seen new radiator on eBay around $100 ...and you will have to look around a lot on eBay parts because it doesn't pull up the certain year like 2003 sl500 and show all the parts..sometimes just pull up MB part's etc..and do a lot of scrolling threw part's.maybe this will help..good luck.

·
Registered
95 E300D, 02 SL500, 02 C230 Kompressor, 12 GL350 Bluetec
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
eBay or your local junk yard are good bets for parts. Some members are known to part their cars, and you might find parts here on the forums.

Search for 'buyers guide' for R230 and see what you find for problem areas. There are numerous problem areas, but the most expensive are the ABC and the top you mention. Since you are a DIY guy, I would say you can fix most if not all of the issues you find.

Your best investment is a Star Diagnostic System (SDS) that will uncover the problems and provide guidance for the fixes. It will cost $300-600 but will last the life of the car and you can sell it for the same price when you are done with it. Again, use the search feature on the forums to find more info.

Best of luck on your rebuild!

Thank you fir your suggestion. I have been doing some research on the ABC. I am starting to understand it and how it supposed to work. I have an SDS which I purchased for an ML55 AMG a while back ( needed to replace the ESP module). I also have an Autel scanner. So between the two scanners, I think I am set. I already ordered the radiator. I found it ebay for $72. Now the hunt begins. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts