Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
ML320
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Black 99 ML320. I did not realize all of the problems that are associated to the ML's. When I purchased, I was going off of the "reliability" of MB. Now I am concerned to even let my wife drive it around town. The ML drives and rides great. The dealer fixed the sunroof issue and a dash bulb. According to the service records this ML has only needed regular maintenance with no repairs other than a battery. It has 56,000 miles and I do not live anywhere near a MB dealership. I have a great local shop that only does MB. When I take it in for the 60,000 mile service, what should I have them check out? I have read where the harmonic balancer, fuel pump, and fuel filter all have issues. How should I handle those? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my first MB and I am not so sure that I have made a good decision.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Have you had any problems with your vehicle, or are you just going by what others say. If you are going by what others say, then you have to remember that most people that are not having problems dont post they are having a great experience, they are usually busy enjoying their truck. But anyways, to get back to topic ... your truck is very reliable if you take proper care of it. Bring it in for preventive maintenance such as all the filters, all fluids, plugs etc. And dont be afraid to actually DRIVE the vehicle HARD, that's what is was made for.

Anyways, good luck with your truck and congrats on the new aquisition !! [8D]

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2005 C320 4matic
98 Posts
do not frick on us, do not worry, you have a very good truck and with almost no miles, you should have no problems, like offroad said, be on top of your regular maintenance and enjoy. if you have any problem do some research on it here

have fun

·
Registered
ML 320
361 Posts
Unfortunately the comments from the other members above are just not true. By MB's own admission, from 1999 to 2002, over 2000 parts were changed. In other words, MB identified over 2,000 parts in the 98-99 models that needed improvement. And, additional parts continued to be upgraded through 2005.

For example, at your 60,000 mile service, you will need to have the fuel filter changed. However, the original design was flawed and MB developed a new one in 2002. MB does not even sell the replacement filter for the pre-2002 model years, so you will need to have the entire system changed, just to change the filter. MB even issued a TSB on this subject.

There are numerous other examples but I won't try and list them all. Let me just say that I have a 99 ML320 and have experienced virtually every known problem that has been listed. At first, I did not notice all of the problems. Then when I started to look and raise the issues with the dealer, we discovered over 31 defective repairs. Even though the dealer knew that the problems existed, they would not fix them until I asked for an issue to be investigated. They gave a lame excuse, that they could not pro-actively recommend warranty work. That did not make sense to me, since I thought that a standard service visit included inspecting items.

Anyways, back to the topic. Maybe you have a Wednesday ML and everything will be fine. Unfortunately, facts suggest that you have purchased a vehicle with a high risk of failure. You should just plan to spend about $1,000 per year in repairs and enjoy the positive aspects of the ML (of which there are many).[:)] Or, of course, you can sell it and get a 2003 or 2004.

·
Registered
2001 ML 55AMG
1,158 Posts
RickT - 3/6/2005 4:00 AM

Unfortunately the comments from the other members above are just not true.

Maybe you have a Wednesday ML and everything will be fine.
Hmmmmmm??

Anyway, there are quite a few members with pre 2002 ML's that are very happy with their cars. In fact I'm pretty sure there are even 1 or 2 with over 200,000 miles!! I had a 1998 ML 320 with over 80,000 miles and had virtually no problems! Then there are some ML owners that have lots of problems, including some of the 2004 and 2005 ML's that have more problems than my 1998 had! It sounds like you have a good 1 so don't sweat it!
Most

·
Registered
ML320, C300, GLC43
198 Posts
my 2 cents

I have 99ML320 and i love it... it only has 30K miles it and I drive it everywhere including a trip from NYC and Disney world... I have to admit there are problems, MAF sensor, windows switches, constant brake pad changes (twice, but consider my mileage)... but nothing except one issues left me hanging in a parking lots with I should have take care of but just too lazy... hoping that i have a Wednesday built.... You should replace your fuel pump and all the mod that need around that area. After that, you should have years of enjoyment left (I'm keeping my ML at least the third year of 164) with your ML with little annoyances

·
BenzWorld Post Whore
10 E350 4MATIC
3,832 Posts
Dont forget too...

Power steering hose and clamps were redesigned due to failures. <a href="http://babenj.tzo.com:6971/s4toml/fyi/T-RC-2003040005.pdf">CLICK HERE</a> to view the recall bulletin. Ask your MB dealer if this service bulleting was ever performed on your 99ML320.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,474 Posts
99BlackML320 - 3/5/2005 11:24 PM
I just purchased a Black 99 ML320. I did not realize all of the problems that are associated to the ML's. When I purchased, I was going off of the "reliability" of MB.
So, next time you want to buy a 99 ML320, come here first. I hope you've learnt your lesson.

Now I am concerned to even let my wife drive it around town. The ML drives and rides great. The dealer fixed the sunroof issue and a dash bulb. According to the service records this ML has only needed regular maintenance with no repairs other than a battery. It has 56,000 miles and I do not live anywhere near a MB dealership.
As soon as she gets they key, you'll never get it back. The truck is a great truck to own and drive. Yes they have problems but at 56K and no clocked warranty problems, you really have nothing to be worried about. Have fun and drive the truck. Yours was made on a very good day.

I have a great local shop that only does MB. When I take it in for the 60,000 mile service, what should I have them check out? I have read where the harmonic balancer, fuel pump, and fuel filter all have issues. How should I handle those? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my first MB and I am not so sure that I have made a good decision.
As far as service is concerned, follow your service manual. If you don't have a manual, go to MBUSA.com, register (free) as a member and you'll have access to a whole load of luxuries for your model year, including downloadable manuals in PDF. Do you still have warranty on it? If you do, take advantage of it. If the fuel pump is not giving problems, leave it alone. Have them check the harmonic balancer for cracks. The PWR Steering hose was a problem for MY02+, but I don't recall it being a problem for your year - could be wrong on this, but there was a recall for this problem. Have the dealer check to make sure all the recalls (2 or 3) have been done on the truck. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,556 Posts
Yes, there have been many issues involving the ML; and in my opinion Mercedes just aren't the cars they use to be. In my opinion the quality started deteriorating in the late 80's ; as well as their customer service.

With that being said, my 99ML430 has 215,000 miles and is still running like a clock; and that is still with the original running gear including engine/transmission/suspension. In fact the only things INOP on my ML are.....the "seat portion" of the driver seat heat (back portion works fine) and the number one position of my fan motor on climate control.

Probably the most important step I took to insure longevity was using Mobil One synthetic since day one, and I use FSS to keep track of when that is needed, averaging every 12,000 miles. Get in the habit of checking fluids/tire pressure on a regular basis and while you have the hood up, examine the harmonic balancer and look for leaks that might indicate trouble down the road.

Good luck with your ML...they CAN be great vehicles, and are without doubt one of the safest vehicles on the road.

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2005 C320 4matic
98 Posts
"Unfortunately the comments from the other members above are just not true. By MB's own admission, from 1999 to 2002, over 2000 parts were........ yara yara yara yara.."

there are people that are not happy with life.......

if it was that bad, and MB is the brand of hell.. what is he doing in this forum? why rickt still keeps his 320?

there is no PERFECT vehicle out there ! they all have faults, and yes I have replaced my window switch for 79 usd, and yes the oil change average cost is 100 usd, and yes maybe having your truck will cost you from 500 to 1000 a year in little things here and there but you have a MB, you dont have a KIA and that is the price we all pay when we want to drive one of the safest trucks out there.

you have a truck with a very good engine, tranny, suspension, and safety systems. That is what is important, not if the wondow switch get stuck and you can not roll down the window! or how many times you have to change your gas filter, i change it every other oil change, and it will be good not to leave the spark plugs 100k miles...... you know it is the normal maint that you will do in any cara little more xpensive, and if you do not follow it, then your truck will need mayor repair like any other car but the diff is that it will cost you more to get it repair.

having said all that... congrats with your purchase, i let my wife drive mine and i will let my kids drive it too.. is that safe! i would never have my kids nor wife touch my BMW e30, I love it but too much to handle. keep up with maint, stay away from dealer as much as possible, and get a GOOD local shop where you can do the little stuff.

·
Registered
497 Posts
dracul00 - 3/7/2005 2:49 PM

"Unfortunately the comments from the other members above are just not true. By MB's own admission, from 1999 to 2002, over 2000 parts were........ yara yara yara yara.."

there are people that are not happy with life.......

if it was that bad, and MB is the brand of hell.. what is he doing in this forum? why rickt still keeps his 320?

there is no PERFECT vehicle out there ! they all have faults, and yes I have replaced my window switch for 79 usd, and yes the oil change average cost is 100 usd, and yes maybe having your truck will cost you from 500 to 1000 a year in little things here and there but you have a MB, you dont have a KIA and that is the price we all pay when we want to drive one of the safest trucks out there.

you have a truck with a very good engine, tranny, suspension, and safety systems. That is what is important, not if the wondow switch get stuck and you can not roll down the window! or how many times you have to change your gas filter, i change it every other oil change, and it will be good not to leave the spark plugs 100k miles...... you know it is the normal maint that you will do in any cara little more xpensive, and if you do not follow it, then your truck will need mayor repair like any other car but the diff is that it will cost you more to get it repair.

having said all that... congrats with your purchase, i let my wife drive mine and i will let my kids drive it too.. is that safe! i would never have my kids nor wife touch my BMW e30, I love it but too much to handle. keep up with maint, stay away from dealer as much as possible, and get a GOOD local shop where you can do the little stuff.
I agree. There are annoying things that go wrong from time to time, but this vehicle is still the perfect vehicle for me.

If there is a disapointing thing with the ML it is the discovery that the dealers are sometimes way behind the vehicle in their quality of service and even sometimes honesty; although not by any means all of them.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,231 Posts
There are good things and bad things about owning an ML. The bad things are the chronic problems that plagued the early (and even some later) models. The most serious of these items included malfunctioning fuel pumps, door lock actuators, window switches, harmonic balancers, and power steering hoses. Many of the other problems associated with the ML are much less serious, such as poor door seals, squeaks and rattles, insufficient sound deadening, noisy and short-lived brake pads, etc.

What I have found, both in my experience as an owner and also form hearing what many others have to say, is that once the most serious problems are resolved by using the appropriate redesigned parts, then the ML tends to be like most other MBZ models, in that it is designed for a very long, reliable service life given appropriate maintenance and care. Keep in mind that the truck, like most modern vehicles, does have some “consumable� parts that will wear out, such as MAF’s, O2 sensors, shocks, bushings, etc. Also, many people feel that the brakes wear abnormally fast, but that can be solved using high-quality aftermarket replacement parts. The good news is that these parts are not too difficult or expensive to replace.

I believe you would be hard pressed to find a vehicle that offers the utility, performance, and safety of the ML for the price. Even after the problems I had with mine, I decided to buy it at the end of the lease last year simply because I could not find a suitable replacement.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
ml 320 1998
213 Posts
Dont worry, if you start messing, when it doesnt need it, you will get trouble, as long as you do correct oil changes when needed filters brakes etc everything will be ok.Remember its only a car you look after it and it will look after you.
you cant fix things when there not broken
Enjoy your car like i do (respect).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts