Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 200
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm a new member to Benzworld and have just picked up my new SLK200 and what a car!! I've upgraded from a SAAB 9-3 Convertible that I've driven for a year and even though I was happy with the SAAB I think I'll be ecstatic about the SLK. I ordered the car in June 2004 so that’s almost 11 months to wait.

I work with the British Armed Forces in Germany and luckily for me I have saved a massive 27.5% off the list price. I don't pay 17.5% VAT (sales tax) and also receive a 10% military/diplomatic discount from MB. I've got the following spec:

Iridium Silver
Bi-Xenon
Auto Dimming Mirrors
Memory Package
Rain Sensors
Mobile pre-installation
Air Scarf
5 Speed Auto Box
Folding Mirrors
6 Disc CD Changer
Thermotronic Climate Control
Upgraded 17.5" Alloys
Heated Seats
Remote IR roof opening (waste of time)

When I ordered the car last year I had to pay a £1500 deposit but the gamble with Merc is that they price the car in € Euros, so when you eventually come to pay for the car the price can go up or down quite a bit depending on the € to £ exchange rate! I was lucky in that I paid my deposit at €1.49 to the £1 and when I collected and paid for the car last week it was €1.47 to €1 which was quite good. I'd have problems if it was down to €1.35 or less!! Anyway total paid came to £26745 for the lot. I intend buying another in a year and hopefully selling this one for a few more £ than I paid for it. We can only buy one a year or else this would become a bit of a racket!!

I drove the car 400 miles home on day one and feel that the 200 has enough BHP for me. Managed to take it up 120Mph on the autobahn and it felt quite solid but I'm conscious of the running in period and kept the speed quite reasonable for most of the way. Have come up with a problem with the driver side bi-xenon malfunctioning but will be taking the car in to my local dealer tomorrow to get it replaced. I hope I don’t have any other problems.

Have booked my holiday this year and will be cruising down to Tuscany in the SLK for two weeks in September. Can't wait to get the SLK with top down cruising round the Chianti countryside. The only disadvantage I have this year is that I can't bring back 40 bottles of wine like I managed in the SAAB but I'm sure I'll cope.

My dealer mentioned that if I want another SLK I would need to order it within the next 5 weeks in order to pick it up next May - anyone have any thoughts on this? I thought that the queues would be coming down by now?

It's quite sad but I really do need to think about what car I want for next year. Should I go for a 350? I'm also considering the new ML and also the Audi Q7. Any suggestions?

Enough from me for now apart from a quick pic of my car:

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK350
154 Posts
Congrats on your new car! Enjoy it, and also welcome to the forum.

I find it quite odd that you need to wait for almost a year in order to get a new SLK200.
Here in Greece, waiting times vary from 1.5 to 3 months depending on dealer! I would expect to be even less in Germany.

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
Congrats and also welcome to the forum (from a relative newbie as well) I also don't get the long wait , especially in Germany. UK has really freed up on supply with many London dealers offering speccable cars with 6 weeks delivery. Mind you, you have to pay rip off UK prices....

(PS - go for the 350)

·
Registered
SLK 200
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys!

I'm not too sure about the delays but I will be ordering the car with a UK dealer and not a German dealer in order to buy tax free. I'll do some investigating in the next few weeks. I'm currently leaning towards the ML right now.

I had the top down today on the autobahn using the standard wind deflector and things seemed to be quite calm in the cabin but I think I would like to get the glass wind deflector for better visibility. Does anyone know what the going rate for these are in the UK or Germany right now? There is one going on e-bay currently at £175 and thinking of going for it.

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
mercslk_200 - 5/11/2005 5:01 PM
I think I would like to get the glass wind deflector for better visibility. Does anyone know what the going rate for these are in the UK or Germany right now? There is one going on e-bay currently at £175 and thinking of going for it.
UK pricing either £279 or £210 if you order with the car at time of purchase

German pricing 299 euros.

all prices include VAT \ MwSt

·
Registered
SLK 200
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ianx. Thats a bit of a no brainer!! €299 which works out at approx £204 minus 16%MWST would come out at £171. Why are things always more expensive in the UK!!!

Ianx you sound quite knowledgeable about this - do you possibly have a part number or will it be easy enough for my local MB dealer to find the part number?

Cheers.

·
Registered
SLK 200
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ianx you have answered my question in a previous post:

the parts code is:
B6 781 2224 (german price 299 euros)

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
Congratulations mercslk_200. Your car looks very sharp.

BTW. I picked up a copy of the Sunday edition of the Daily Mail a few weeks ago which reviewed the SLK 200. Gave it a 0-60 time of 8.5 secs. Surely they must have quoted the wrong time. Do you have any idea what your nought to sixty time is? What does the acceleration feels like to you?

·
Registered
SLK 200
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's kind of difficult working this out where I live but I also have access to an airfield - the old RAF Gutersloh so I will be keen to get down there in the next week or so to try the 0-60 out. I can go down there and check out the handling and breaking before doing it for real on the autobahns! It's even better when we have snow and ice as the whole place turns into a massive skid pan and it's good experience to skid your car and work out how to handle it.

·
Registered
SLK 200 '00
299 Posts
SiLK - 5/11/2005 10:08 AM

Congrats on your new car! Enjoy it, and also welcome to the forum.

I find it quite odd that you need to wait for almost a year in order to get a new SLK200.
Here in Greece, waiting times vary from 1.5 to 3 months depending on dealer! I would expect to be even less in Germany.

Only 3 months - I was told 6![:0]

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
mercslk_200 - 5/11/2005 5:52 PM

€299 which works out at approx £204 minus 16%MWST would come out at £171. Cheers.
You may be able to save another 10%.
According to posts on torstens forum there is a German dealer who will give you a further 10% discount and free carriage.

his email address is
[email protected]

let us know how you get on with him - (and ask him if he'll ship to the UK!!!!)

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
mercslk_200 - 5/11/2005 9:11 PM
Managed to take it up 120Mph on the autobahn and it felt quite solid but I'm conscious of the running in period and kept the speed quite reasonable for most of the way.
Hmmm... not that conscious evidently since the manual says not to exceed 140 km/h (8.5 mph) for the first 1500 km!

I am collecting my SLK from Bremen in mid-July and I am going to be visiting a few places on the way back that I lived as a kid (Münster, Wulfen, Dortmund - dad was in the REME) which will be interesting. It's proving to be more difficult than I expected because streets appear to have been renamed, and of course a lot of BAOR places have closed, but it will certainly be an adventure.

·
Registered
SLK 200
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Steve-P,

Yes I do acknowledge that I was bad by ignoring the top speed during the running in period but I wonder how many of us would admit to this indiscretion??!!

The face of BAOR or BFG (British Forces Germany) as it's now known has changed very much during the last 15 years. With the drawdown of forces and the closure of all the RAF airfields over here our bases are now very thin on the ground.

As far as I know we don't have any bases in Dortmund or Wulfen but we still have a couple of barracks in Munster.

Enjoy the pickup from Bremen and remember not to go above that 140km/h mark on the autobahn like I did. Its easier said than done.

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
Seems along time ago when I bought a car at RAF Laarbruch Germany, it was a long time ago 1965, it was a Triumph Herald 1250 at £430 50% of UK cost, the car I have the best memories of.
I wish I could have bought my 350 with the discount you now get. Ah dreams.

gary

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
mercslk_200 - 5/15/2005 5:41 PM
As far as I know we don't have any bases in Dortmund or Wulfen but we still have a couple of barracks in Munster.
Wulfen was handed over to the German Army a few years ago, but I suppose they did build it in the first place, as with most of them! In fact, it's supposedly the best munitions storage facility in Europe, since we spent 120 million DM on it over the years. The site at Dortmund has been completely redeveloped, so no trace remains of that. I'm hoping that the quarters are still in existence though. I think the workshops in Münster have closed but I do know that our house there is still owned by the army, and is still standing.

Incidentally the reason for keeping the speed down in a new car is not just about the engine. New tyres and brake pad linings take a couple of hundred miles at least to reach their full working effectiveness.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts