Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 ML350 Bluetec
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 08 r-320 with 16,400 miles certified pre-owned (with the warranty to 100k and 3 years) from dealer in Houston this weekend. I drove it 1200 miles home to Madison, WI through some blizzard type conditions through Illinois and there was not a time that I felt like I was sliding or loose on the roads. It handled like I hoped it would and I was cruising past many vehicles in the ditch and side of the road. I was passing all kinds of SUV's, Pickups and other vehicles that I thought would have handled the conditions better than this "crossover" and was amazed at the performance. I would have been able to drive faster had it not been for the Houston based vehicle being full of standard windshield washer fluid which froze up in my lines and forced me to have a crudded up windshield most of the way through the blizzard. Damn you warm weather climates!! I don't know if it's the 4matic or the 5000 plus pound weight of this rig but it drove amazing through these conditions. I am so far very satisfied with going the extra 1200 miles to pick up this vehicle for my wife and 3 kids to travel in for the future. When I have to replace my 97 e420 with 185k miles on it, I will have a tough decision to make on what Benz I will want to drive next. You will see me on here quite a bit as I add some accessories to this rig: Trailer Hitch, roof rack, bluetooth for my wife's phone, Entertainment system for back 2 rows. Oh Yeah, I will have to remove all the windshield wiper fluid and put in the low temperature stuff that won't freeze.

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,251 Posts
I just picked up my 08 r-320 with 16,400 miles certified pre-owned (with the warranty to 100k and 3 years) from dealer in Houston this weekend. I drove it 1200 miles home to Madison, WI through some blizzard type conditions through Illinois and there was not a time that I felt like I was sliding or loose on the roads. It handled like I hoped it would and I was cruising past many vehicles in the ditch and side of the road. I was passing all kinds of SUV's, Pickups and other vehicles that I thought would have handled the conditions better than this "crossover" and was amazed at the performance. I would have been able to drive faster had it not been for the Houston based vehicle being full of standard windshield washer fluid which froze up in my lines and forced me to have a crudded up windshield most of the way through the blizzard. Damn you warm weather climates!! I don't know if it's the 4matic or the 5000 plus pound weight of this rig but it drove amazing through these conditions. I am so far very satisfied with going the extra 1200 miles to pick up this vehicle for my wife and 3 kids to travel in for the future. When I have to replace my 97 e420 with 185k miles on it, I will have a tough decision to make on what Benz I will want to drive next. You will see me on here quite a bit as I add some accessories to this rig: Trailer Hitch, roof rack, bluetooth for my wife's phone, Entertainment system for back 2 rows. Oh Yeah, I will have to remove all the windshield wiper fluid and put in the low temperature stuff that won't freeze.
Congrats on teh R320CDI, the Deisel is nice with the torque.

Not so fast of the line, but on the highway from 70-90 :D, it is in its enviroment :thumbsup:

Pretty low miles for a 08, our 085 has 34K as of now, just love the comfort during cruising.

I haven't had a chance to go thru snow storms or that kind of weather, but my experience here in S FL, with the heavy down pour of rain, it has been rock solid...

·
Registered
2007 GL450; 2012 E350 Wagon; 1995 E32000 SL500 sold sad!); 1999 CL500 sold sad;
202 Posts
Great in Bad Weather

Your 320CDI sounds great. I have had an '06 R350 for about 1.5 years and it grows and grows on you. I have been astonished how well it runs and handles in rain and wind. On unpredictable glare ice it will protect you, until you have a chance to slow down get some grip. Snow is really great.

I drive in No. MI, so your WI experience should be similar. What has been your fuel economy??

I just had new Michelin Touring HP tires installed and it transformed into a fabulous freeway car- even better than before. Also, today I had the dealer do a 4wheel alignment, but they needed to replace some rear wheel alignment bolts to bring it to spec. $300, (est was $198), but they were meticulous, which is what I wanted. But it improved the handling, and eliminated some "bump steer" that I thought was a shock going. Now ok.

I cannot say enough good about these cars. P.s., this is my wife's car and she loves it. Many in the area have one. While leaving the sub the other day, 3 R's in a row went by!!

·
Registered
2010 ML350 Bluetec
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
R-320 Mileage

It looks like we are getting around 23mpg overall on the computer for our diesel. At least 500 miles to a tank. I am not sure exactly how many gallons tank is. Much better than the 300 or so miles on a tank for the 08 honda odyssey.

·
Registered
'12 E550 Cabriolet, steel grey, P2; '07 R320 CDI, P1, Barolo red
114 Posts
r320 owner's question

Hi ITBoater -- can I ask where you got tires? Online or through a retail place? We've got an '07 with about 52K miles (we go back and forth from Philadelphia to Maine quite a bit) and need our THIRD set of tires. Now we have some Contis on (not the OEMs) that have been great but have only gotten about 25K miles and are starting to struggle in the snow. So, just curious about your experience with the michelins.

And yes, we love the car, particularly on the highway. Goes 80-90 on the interstate without sweating even when fully loaded with kids and gear. Passing people going up hill puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
2007 GL450; 2012 E350 Wagon; 1995 E32000 SL500 sold sad!); 1999 CL500 sold sad;
202 Posts
Hi ITBoater -- can I ask where you got tires? Online or through a retail place? We've got an '07 with about 52K miles (we go back and forth from Philadelphia to Maine quite a bit) and need our THIRD set of tires. Now we have some Contis on (not the OEMs) that have been great but have only gotten about 25K miles and are starting to struggle in the snow. So, just curious about your experience with the michelins.

And yes, we love the car, particularly on the highway. Goes 80-90 on the interstate without sweating even when fully loaded with kids and gear. Passing people going up hill puts a smile on my face.

If you are tracking this thread, I picked up my tires from Discount Tire, here in Grand Rapids. The one on 28th street is very good to deal with, as they have a lot of high-end customers come in. Make sure the sub-code (for Michelin's) is 105h, as there are three sub-codes for the Latitude Touring HP. So find a DT in a high-end neighborhood for best service, I would think.

Now with these new Michelin's, we can reel off the miles. Just had a run in a N. MI snowstorm and high winds. Tracked very well, although when it was blinding, had to back off.

MB may drop this product some day, but if they do, I will get a newer vehicle than my '06 to keep 'forever'. I have own a lot of vehicle's, but this is best for what it does than any I have ever had. Fast, very good vehicle dynamics, but with good utility! Did I mention safety?!

P.s., I have looked at the GL (one was next to me in a parking garage the other day) and the ML. One is very small (ML), while the other is 'big', but without as much room as the R.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts