Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just wanna share my ride. It's been my dream car since the 220 Body Style came out and I worked my butt off for it. It's immaculate, perhaps the cleanest S Class I looked at even when comparing with ones with alot less Mileage, newer, etc. The guy who owned it had it since '02 and apparently treats his cars like perfection. Also I have all of its Records (from the one Dealership he took it to). The reported problems and high $$ to fix these things is kinda scaring me, but eh, I'm loving it thus far.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
The reported problems and high $$ to fix these things is kinda scaring me
You will love it until the high repair bills and high gas bills start rolling in shortly! Should have heeded the advice on here and avoided the first gen.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice car. Enjoy it. The pleasure exceeds the pain. The front suspension is the biggest problem. Find a good local shop and you will save lots of $$$.
Ed

·
Registered
2003 C320 Sedan, 1992 400e sedan
302 Posts
great car. looks like you got one well equipped with distronic and parktronic

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much guys! Looking forward to being here and getting help from all you experienced Benz owners. Yeah, it's really an awesome car, and I really feel the pro's of owning one will significantly out-weigh any possible cons, you can't beat having a huge grin put on your face every time you step in your automobile :)

Yeah it seems to have all the goodies, is the Distronic and the Parktronic the same thing essentially? Off the top of my head, it's the black thing in the middle of the grille that's the Distronic yeah? Also, a random question I have is, do any of you engage the Tow-Alarm buttom when you park? (can't remember the name), I thought it's a cool little thing the car has, I guess it's there just to piss off a tow-truck driver, haha?

I haven't really played around much with the suspension goodies, like the "W" and "S", and the Suspension tweaking button (can't remember what it does) on the dash, kinda afraid to mess around with 'em much, but if anyone can give any advice on whether there is a better setup for daily regular/highway driving it would also be much appreciated. Also, do alot of you use the manual gear shifting mode? Does it "pressure" the Tranny more than the regular Drive Mode?

Thanks so much again!

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
iGNORE THE GUY GUY WITH THE 300 FLOWER POT WE DO. And welcome, nice MB!
Look who's talking, again. You wouldn't know quality if it hit you in the face.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Thanks so much guys! Looking forward to being here and getting help from all you experienced Benz owners. Yeah, it's really an awesome car, and I really feel the pro's of owning one will significantly out-weigh any possible cons, you can't beat having a huge grin put on your face every time you step in your automobile :)
Welcome and congratulations!! You've got a really clean and well equipped S500.:thumbsup:

Yeah it seems to have all the goodies, is the Distronic and the Parktronic the same thing essentially? Off the top of my head, it's the black thing in the middle of the grille that's the Distronic yeah? Also, a random question I have is, do any of you engage the Tow-Alarm buttom when you park? (can't remember the name), I thought it's a cool little thing the car has, I guess it's there just to piss off a tow-truck driver, haha?
Distronic is the radar-guided cruise control and yes it's the thing behind the cover in the middle of the grille. Parktronic is in the bumpers and helps with parking by letting you know approximately how close you are to objects. Pretty helpful if you're not used to a car the side of the S.

I also remember a friend with an S430 saying that on the W220, the TOW sensor is automatically active when the alarm is armed. I believe that's how it is with all other models, so I can't think of any reason for the W220 to be different. Do you have a manual?

I haven't really played around much with the suspension goodies, like the "W" and "S", and the Suspension tweaking button (can't remember what it does) on the dash, kinda afraid to mess around with 'em much, but if anyone can give any advice on whether there is a better setup for daily regular/highway driving it would also be much appreciated. Also, do alot of you use the manual gear shifting mode? Does it "pressure" the Tranny more than the regular Drive Mode?

Thanks so much again!
Seeing that you live in CA/NV you probably won't be using W/S too often. W apparently gets you better gas mileage since it lowers the shifting points and starts in 2nd gear. Try them both and see which you like better. I believe the button with the picture of the shock adjust the stiffness of the suspension - no lights is Comfort, one light is Sport 1, two is Sport 2...? I could be wrong about how they label it on the W220. The other button with the picture of the car, I believe, raises the suspension to give you added ground clearance for rougher roads, steep driveways, etc.

TouchShift in all MBs (aside from AMGs, I guess) were designed to be used more like gear limiters, rather than as manual type shifting. That doesn't mean you can't use it that way, but with delayed shifting response, lack of throttle blipping when downshifting, you might not enjoy it. I know I don't. I just use it to keep me in third or fourth to keep me in the powerband for passing instead of waiting for kickdown, although kickdown is pretty fun too.:D:cool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
The W and S are for Winter and Standard driving. For your distronic there is a thumbwheel to the left of the shifter that will allow you to set the following distance when in cruise control. If you set it too far back, it will drive you nuts everytime someone enters your lane. Play around with it to see where you like it. Takes a little time to set up the way you will like it. It looks like you may have ABC (active body control). That is the button to the right of the raise/lower settings mentioned by asianml. If you run with the lower suspension(no lights on for the raise/lower control button) and the ABC light on you will get fantastic handling. I couldn't tell for sure if you have ABC. I don't think you will hurt anything testing the buttons. Do check the manual also, as there are a lot of nuances to these cars that you won't want to miss. They are very cool.
Ed

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet, thanks so much. Yeah, it has ABC, I wasn't sure if that was a standard Option on the Car. So I take it the lowering/raising button is self explanitory with it being (if I remember correctly) and up/down type thing. And the ABC is a suspension stiffening function? Gotta try that. So with the "S" Mode, a lower Suspension setting and the ABC button, I assume that is definitely optimal for performance driving. Gonna try the "W" thing for Gas Mileage as well.

Has anybody had any experience with getting a K&N Air Filter, or something aftermarket like it? I know for some cars it offers a tad better Gas Mileage (anything will help these days), and a usually BS HP gain. Then I started thinking, perhaps MB already uses a superior (from most cars) Air Filter?

A friend of mine used to have an 01-02 S 5 and took all the Mufflers off, it sounded like a beast, I would have never thought of doing anything like an aftermarket exhaust on these cars, but when remember how much fun his car was, it sounds so tempting....Although a removal of Mufflers I'm assuming destroys back-pressure and Gas Mileage. I've been trying to find some well priced catback systems, but if anyone has any experience with these that would be very appreciated to hear as well.

Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts